The Buffalo Blue Jays?

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd think the Marlins would be the first to relocate.  I was hoping for one MORE team in Canada (Montreal) than one less.

Its only for this season if they ever play because of Canada's strict law on CV-19. I'm with you Rays or Marlins to Montreal.

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd think the Marlins would be the first to relocate.  I was hoping for one MORE team in Canada (Montreal) than one less.

Can't imagine them going anywhere soon with that stadium just opening in 2012 ... especially since it was 80% funded by the public. 

Now the Rays, they always have an over-performing squad year after year with limited resources, no fans, and a horrible stadium.  There is nothing keeping them there.

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Can't imagine them going anywhere soon with that stadium just opening in 2012 ... especially since it was 80% funded by the public. 

Now the Rays, they always have an over-performing squad year after year with limited resources, no fans, and a horrible stadium.  There is nothing keeping them there.

The Marlins stadium is pretty nice.

16 hours ago, Mark80 said:

The Rays were into "Social Distancing" long before it became a thing.

• Haha (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wasn't it someone in the Marlins ownership/management that said that about themselves?

I don't know but it is appropriate for any professional team in Florida that isn't winning.   They should have been doing what some Korean baseball teams starting doing post-virus. That is putting blow up dolls in the stands.

18 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Mlb will expand before relocation.  

Charlotte and portland would be my best guesses, followed by montreal, then vegas.

There is that big of a demand for baseball?

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

There is that big of a demand for baseball?

It actually is a fairly lucrative sport.  Cities love to have a team, its a lot of foot traffic 80+ times every Summer (even if attendance appears low).  Paid attendance is X81 and also you have 162 televised games and regional television contracts and other advertising revenue is pretty big.  

I have negative thoughts overall on the future of baseball popularity (basically it will go the way of Horse Racing and Boxing in 50 years if it stays its course and philosophies).

Can’t stands the Jays, however the Buffalo affiliation is a no brainer.

I am definitely surprised that they haven’t tossed a saturday regular season game or a two game weekend to Buffalo once a season. 

Sahlen field is MLB caliber, aside from the capacity, and the foul territory bullpens. But that would sell out in a heartbeat regardless of the opponent, and the place would be packed as opposed to a mostly empty dome that we often see.

Would be a good look for both cities.

23 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Can’t stands the Jays, however the Buffalo affiliation is a no brainer.

I am definitely surprised that they haven’t tossed a saturday regular season game or a two game weekend to Buffalo once a season. 

Sahlen field is MLB caliber, aside from the capacity, and the foul territory bullpens. But that would sell out in a heartbeat regardless of the opponent, and the place would be packed as opposed to a mostly empty dome that we often see.

Would be a good look for both cities.

But a packed field in Buffalo is still less then the average attendance in Toronto. What other MLB team has ever played games at their minor league affiliates field during the regular season? There is no way the Jays give up a regular season weekend series to play in a much smaller stadium. Weekends are when they draw the biggest crowds, it's the weekday games where they draw the least.

The only reason playing there is being considered now is because the rules for anyone crossing the border requires a 14 day quarantine, and they would need a pace to play south of the border while they play games without fans in the stands.

38 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But a packed field in Buffalo is still less then the average attendance in Toronto. What other MLB team has ever played games at their minor league affiliates field during the regular season? There is no way the Jays give up a regular season weekend series to play in a much smaller stadium. Weekends are when they draw the biggest crowds, it's the weekday games where they draw the least.

Fair points, but the average attendance last season was 21k in Taranna, so there’s definitely at least several games that are under the 16k capacity that Sahlen could hold. I could envision some temporary bleachers put in  in right-center field to bump it up a bit too. Give us a monday night & tuesday afternoon set vs. non division if weekends are no good, which yeah those are def money makers so I get that.

Sure it’s a bit of a pipe dream, but I think it would be a great hook. 

Plus our stadium is way nicer than MallDome ;)