Bills will not hold Training Camp at St John Fisher this year; will stay at team facility

All of this stinks. But so long as it increases the chances of regular season ball, we can live with it.

my big concern is once we start playing preseason games, and teams get positive cases—- hoping that that doesn’t cause widespread panic and delaying Or canceling the regular season. Hopefully they have a plan in place because positives will be inevitable. 

3 hours ago, Gregthekeg said:

Probably just put them in a hotel all together and bus them there.  That being said, what do other teams that have training camp at their own facilities do?  

no nice hotels in Buffalo right?

No change for 22 out of 32 teams. I gotta assume most players and coaches prefer holding camp at home. I know there are some coaches that see those three weeks away from home as a way to bring a team closer together, but this just makes more sense. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this Bills regime secretly prefers this 

Of course they do.  This gives them the perfect out to not return to St. John Fisher.  It costs too much money and there is no need to have camp away from your state of the art training facilities.  I get it that it is a fan favorite and I admit the last training camp I saw was in mid-80's in Fredonia.  But I just don't see the need for the travel to Rochester to train.  Hold a joint practice there once a fall.  That would be well received and well attended.  

I'm about 20 minutes away from St. John Fisher now, and I went over to training camp once last season.  I enjoyed it and will miss it this year if they don't do it.  It the league does dictate that they stay in their own facilities, I assume it's to avoid the challenge of trying to get fans to practice social distancing at a facility that does not lend itself to thge practice

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't really know.  I imagine the vets go home and rookies go to hotels for a lot of teams.

Maybe the Bills will put the rookies up at the Red Carpet Inn next to the stadium.

God help the Red Carpet after those few weeks!!!!

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Seems like a pretty good assumption since colleges aren’t staffed at the moment.

Nope. Dorms usually have communal showers, which are a big no-no according to guidelines for re-opening sports. They will stay in a hotel, with private showers, one player per room.

Edited by chongli

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this Bills regime secretly prefers this 

Likely so, when I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was that this could be the beginning of the end of the SJF training camp. I would think that it would be a lot easier for the team to use their own facilities. 

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Likely so, when I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was that this could be the beginning of the end of the SJF training camp. I would think that it would be a lot easier for the team to use their own facilities. 

I believe the current contract runs through 2021. So maybe one swan song year and then it will be over. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

All of this stinks. But so long as it increases the chances of regular season ball, we can live with it.

my big concern is once we start playing preseason games, and teams get positive cases—- hoping that that doesn’t cause widespread panic and delaying Or canceling the regular season. Hopefully they have a plan in place because positives will be inevitable. 

This is happening in my workplace. Regular testing= positives on a regular basis. I’m probably bias because of that, but I’m not sure how well the season can function with regular testing. It would bring up way too many potential issues. 

38 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Most NFL teams are doing this

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Bills at Fisher might be over for good. They are contracted for next year but could easily compensate for that if they wanted to and there was no move to extend as I understand it even before this. 

Yeah, the “company line” has always been to say how much they enjoy the environment, and I think McD certainly tries to get the best out of it, but now that they’ve built the culture, the team is experiencing success, and they have those awesome facilities in OP, the original reasons for going to Rochester (facilities, expand fan base) aren’t really an issue and staying in OP will save the team $$$.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This is happening in my workplace. Regular testing= positives on a regular basis. I’m probably bias because of that, but I’m not sure how well the season can function with regular testing. It would bring up way too many potential issues. 

yeah, once you start testing, you’ll get all those asymptomatic positives. don’t know what these sports leagues will do. What if after a game, it turns out 20 players test positive on each team? How can they be ready for the next week’s game in less than 7 days when most of the roster is positive? 

• Like (+1) 1