Which players do we trade away during training camp?

They would be incredibly stupid to release Ford before giving him a shot at RG. Kroft is an average TE. Until someone proves that they are any better than that, there's no reason to release him.

Edited by GreggTX

10 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He did look like a rookie out there, esp at tackle but they wanted him badly, traded up to get him.  I think he can play Guard and maybe will be able to over time develop into a quality T.  I think they keep him.

They won't dump Ford yet as I see them moving him to RG. It wouldn't shock me to see Hauschka dealt. 

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

OK.... I'll play along......WHO is going to step in to replace him?????  Who is this mythical beast who will take over this spot that no one but perhaps you know about???

I was saying this during the season, before free agency and before the draft.  

He’s not a mythical beast, but I was really hoping that we’d sign Rick Wagner.  He signed 2 years 11 mill.  

I would’ve offered him 2 years up to 15 mill.  I would’ve liked to take a stab at Josh Jones, prince tego wanagho,  Bartch, Cleveland, niang or Peart in the draft.

daryl williams is still young.  He played fire last year,  but I thought he was terrible there. Maybe Beane brought him in to compete with nsekhe and ford for RT?  I think that’s up to Williams.  If he can return to form, maybe he’s our guy. 

Free agents include1 kelvin beachum, Demar Dotson and former bills Cordy Glenn and jason Peters.  I don’t think there any way we sign those guys unless someone gets hurt

12 hours ago, dorquemada said:

If anyone can pull any of that off it would be Beane, but Foster & McKenzie in particular are legends in Buffalo only.  There's a hundred guys like them bagging groceries

There are a hundred guys like Duke waiting in line for a grocery bagging job....

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I was saying this during the season, before free agency and before the draft.  

He’s not a mythical beast, but I was really hoping that we’d sign Rick Wagner.  He signed 2 years 11 mill.  

I would’ve offered him 2 years up to 15 mill.  I would’ve liked to take a stab at Josh Jones, prince tego wanagho,  Bartch, Cleveland, niang or Peart in the draft.

daryl williams is still young.  He played fire last year,  but I thought he was terrible there. Maybe Beane brought him in to compete with nsekhe and ford for RT?  I think that’s up to Williams.  If he can return to form, maybe he’s our guy. 

Free agents include1 kelvin beachum, Demar Dotson and former bills Cordy Glenn and jason Peters.  I don’t think there any way we sign those guys unless someone gets hurt

If Williams is anything like the 2015-2017 version of the player and it is a genuine competition he wins the job. Dude was a former 2nd team all pro at right tackle. Not in the Lane Johnson, La'el Collins, Jack Conklin group but in that next bunch with Bulaga and Wagner etc. 

Last year he didn't play a single game in his true position. They played him left tackle, and both guard spots. He is a pure right tackle IMO. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve seen a few posts predicting that WR’s will be traded. While it’s clear to see that some receivers on last year’s roster won’t make the team, many teams have added WR’s in this draft that was so deep in receivers. It’s just a position that will be in over supply this year, making it a hard to trade position. 

Beane will trade one of our surplus O-linemen again as we have plenty of depth, while other teams are always looking for help there.  On defence, it’s a tougher call.  I don’t think that Murphy gets traded, as he seemed to get better later in the last season, but we have plenty of depth on the D-line, so this seems like the position group that’s most likely. 

15 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Our Kicker Hauschka, guy is great but boy it is tough to justify the $8 million for the next two season. There is a reason why we drafted that kicker.

I would like to get something for one of our TEs (not Knox) as we have way too many right now.

If we could get a bag of salted peanuts and a nickel for Croom I would do a back flip.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Hauschka

Long

EJ Gaines

Yeldon

Those are my candidates

That’s a pretty good list, although I don’t think they will be able to unload Hauschka’s salary and if he loses out to the rookie they’ll simply release him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

They would be incredibly stupid to release Ford before giving him a shot at RG. Kroft is an average TE. Until someone proves that they are any better than that, there's no reason to release him.

Agree on Ford.  People are getting way ahead of themselves.  He was a rookie last year.  Give him a chance to develop.  Maybe he will and maybe he won’t, but give him a chance. 

As for Kroft, he was a horrible signing with a ridiculous contract.  We’re pretty much stuck with him for 2020 though.  Let’s hope he at least sees the field.  Knox had some flashes, but I’m not sold on him yet either.  He’s a lot like Ford though.  Sophomore season in 2020.  Let’s see how he develops. 

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

barkley was available mid season and hasn’t really added to his resume. Webb’s story isn’t much better. I have a hard time seeing either considered.

One of them is going to be cut so that renders both untradeable.

12 hours ago, Happy said:

While that would be nice, the 1-techs right now are Star and Harry.  Star is a known quantity, Harry not so much since he only rotated in during his rookie season and missed all of last season.  In addition, Star just re-worked his contract which goes through 2021, I believe.  He certainly won't be cut since that would be cap prohibitive.  Star (and Murphy) are here this year.

And Butler, no?

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And Butler, no?

That's right.  He's another acquisition from Carolina, so a known quantity.  The staff is probably factoring in Butler and Star getting the most rotation since they don't know a lot about Harry at this time.  I don't know a lot about Butler, but hope he is better at the position than Star is.

Most of these guys have exactly zero trade value unless a team gets hit by injuries and is desperate.  Beane has shown that he will be prepared and will move quickly if the opportunity is available.  There is a big shortage of decent o-linemen around the league and I expect at least one of them to get a chance elsewhere.  Wide receivers and running backs are widely available and I don't expect any team to make a trade when comparable players are currently free agents.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

That's right.  He's another acquisition from Carolina, so a known quantity.  The staff is probably factoring in Butler and Star getting the most rotation since they don't know a lot about Harry at this time.  I don't know a lot about Butler, but hope he is better at the position than Star is.

I'm not sure whether Harry or Butler is the bigger unknown right now, but I guess at least Beane has hedged his bets. Butler has been an absolute bust in Carolina. Hoping Buffalo is the change of scenery he needs to resurrect his career (a la Jordan Phillips), but I'm not counting on it.

2 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Most of these guys have exactly zero trade value unless a team gets hit by injuries and is desperate.  Beane has shown that he will be prepared and will move quickly if the opportunity is available.  There is a big shortage of decent o-linemen around the league and I expect at least one of them to get a chance elsewhere.  Wide receivers and running backs are widely available and I don't expect any team to make a trade when comparable players are currently free agents.  

Yep. The value (even just to get a 5th or 6th) is in the trenches. Either O-line or D-line. As it stands we should have extra bodies at both, and that is where Beane has made these trades previously (OL). I'd be surprised if they shipped off any DL players due to the way we rotate. But we should have 1 or 2 extra OL, and maaaaybe 1 DL that could be moved. And that DL could even be Harrison Phillips since he's easiest to move on a rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kwai San said:

OK.... I'll play along......WHO is going to step in to replace him?????  Who is this mythical beast who will take over this spot that no one but perhaps you know about???

No, you see, because a rookie didn't play like a vet all pro, we have to get rid of him because having nobody is better than having a guy that played solid C+ ball and has lots of room to grow.  In fact, we should trade him and next year's 1st round pick to somebody for a journeyman WR just to seal the deal

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure whether Harry or Butler is the bigger unknown right now, but I guess at least Beane has hedged his bets. Butler has been an absolute bust in Carolina. Hoping Buffalo is the change of scenery he needs to resurrect his career (a la Jordan Phillips), but I'm not counting on it.

His year last year looks strong.  6 sacks, 3 FF, 8 QB hits, & 7 tackles for loss.   And he was platooning there too.

Game Game Def Fumb Fumb   Tack Tack Tack Tack Tack  
Year Age Tm G GS Lng FF FR Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits AV

2019 25 CAR 14 9   3 0 6.0 32 22 10 7 8

4 hours ago, eball said:

That’s a pretty good list, although I don’t think they will be able to unload Hauschka’s salary and if he loses out to the rookie they’ll simply release him.

All the guys on the list are targets for teams if their projected starter goes down.  Hauschka could be valuable if a good team had a PK get hurt

Edited by freddyjj

He doesn't have league-wide name recognition by any means, but a smart team would trade a pick for Darryl Johnson if he isn't able to make our roster. He's a solid four-phase special teamer already and I thought he played well in limited opportunities at DE in 2019. He has some plus physical traits you can't teach and is still pretty raw with untapped potential.

I'm hoping he sticks on our roster, but with our depth at D-line, he could be the odd man out potentially and he's worth a late round draft pick IMO. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

His year last year looks strong.  6 sacks, 3 FF, 8 QB hits, & 7 tackles for loss.   And he was platooning there too.

Game Game Def Fumb Fumb   Tack Tack Tack Tack Tack  
Year Age Tm G GS Lng FF FR Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits AV

2019 25 CAR 14 9   3 0 6.0 32 22 10 7 8

He's a former 1st round pick in his 4th season and contract year and he managed to finally muster up stats that are basically on par with Oliver's rookie season. He didn't even make the same amount of improvement that Shaq did. Plus, I believe he already has an off-field incident on his record.

I certainly hope he is able to turn it around and flourish in a new setting and back under McD, but I'm not expecting too much.

Edited by DrDawkinstein