The Dolphins QB situation

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I say Fitz starts the first 4 games (ish). Tua is a great prospect with big injury concerns. If healthy his accuracy and play fakes are elite. I’m not saying that he will have Brees career but he plays a lot like him.

Him and your boy Dak.  Right??  Who has won nothing.  I will take Romo over Dak every day of the week.  

As for Tua, go back and watch the film of the Alabama-Clemson national championship game.  Didn't look so good that nite.  Settle down about the comparisons to Brees..  I would try comparing him a little more to Jake Fromm.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Him and your boy Dak.  Right??  Who has won nothing.  I will take Romo over Dak every day of the week.  

As for Tua, go back and watch the film of the Alabama-Clemson national championship game.  Didn't look so good that nite.  Settle down about the comparisons to Brees..  I would try comparing him a little more to Jake Fromm.  

Lol I mean, come on.

Tua broke his hip and still went top 5. Fromm was healthy and went in the fifth round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, vincec said:

I don’t think he’ll regress much. They have a better team around him than last year and Gailey will know how to play to Ryan’s strengths, but I think Tua will get some starts eventually this season - as soon as their playoff hopes are officially sunk

Fitz will most likely win some games for them and Gailey knows Fitz strengths and challenges.  He always at some point tries to push it too much to win and throws pics.  The flip side is he tries so hard to win.  The team is better with the free agency acquisitions and all of those draft pics, but they have like al of the AFCE a tougher schedule.  I expect we see Fitz for 5-7 games and at some point they will flip to Tua.  They are not making the playoffs so it will happen.

10 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I should watch more football...

TBD is the only place in the world where you are the idiot for thinking that a guy that is 40-24, coming off a year with 4,900 yards and a 3:1 TD to INT, is a pretty good QB. Apparently I’M the one that doesn’t know what I’m watching. 

People point to the one game that they watched Tua play as evidence that he can’t play ?. We don’t know what kind of career he will have but if you are questioning his accuracy or play fakes you haven’t watched him play. Now if you want to say, he will never stay healthy that’s a reasoned opinion. He may not. Tua has had some big injuries.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Id assume its his looker room to lose through his play.  He's played under Chan Gailey before and has extensive knowledge of that system.  I doubt Tua comes in, wins over the looker room "cause he's a great guy" or out performs Fitz at least for the first half of the season.  Only the record will determine Tua's playing time, after about 10 weeks depending on the record might Tua get a chance.  I dont see it happening.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bills fans better start respecting the Dolphins.

We want respect because of Beane and McDermott...well, I think we should start looking at Grier and Flores in the same light.

I'll wait to ultimately see how it all plays out, but they seem to know what they're doing down there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JustWinPlease said:

We want respect because of Beane and McDermott...well, I think we should start looking at Grier and Flores in the same light.

I'll wait to ultimately see how it all plays out, but they seem to know what they're doing down there.

I agree here. They are the team in the division, along with the Bills, trending up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Fitz will most likely win some games for them and Gailey knows Fitz strengths and challenges.  He always at some point tries to push it too much to win and throws pics.  The flip side is he tries so hard to win.  The team is better with the free agency acquisitions and all of those draft pics, but they have like al of the AFCE a tougher schedule.  I expect we see Fitz for 5-7 games and at some point they will flip to Tua.  They are not making the playoffs so it will happen.

It is a tough year for a rookie QB coming off of injury with what is looking like a shortened off season/camp. In their first 6 weeks they play a bunch of really good defenses. NE, Buffalo, Denver, and SF. That's a tough go of it. Seattle and Jacksonville are no slouches on that side of the ball either. If they could get through at 3-3, that would be a miracle. 

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

They know that this is a developmental year. Sure the Phins will try to win every game, but realistically they’re just aiming to be competitive and to get a couple more wins than last year.  The QB situation is what it usually is in such situations.  There’s a bridge QB and a guy they hope will be the future.  Tua will get his chance at some point. 

With the more difficult schedule, the same number of wins might be progress.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree here. They are the team in the division, along with the Bills, trending up.

I consider McDermott's first year of coaching the Bills as one of the best coaching job in the history of the franchise. He got a stripped down and rebuilding team playing to its maximum potential. Getting that team into the playoffs was  beyond anyone's expectation. Last year I thought that Miami's coach, Flores, did an equally terrific job in coaching a team that deliberately was tanking for one of the top qbs in the draft to consistently play hard, although clearly outgunned, throughout the season. They finished the season playing well and winning more games than expected and to be honest desired by the organization.

The Dolphins, like the Bills before the installation of the McBean regime, finally have a plan and seem to be executing it instead of taking a year to year ad hoc approach. This is a good situation for Tua to be part of.   

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I didn't love Miami's 2019 draft.  2020 was obviously better but they had the benefit of 3 1sts (and i don't even love the 3 firsts).

Ton of cap space so they spent a ton, but i'm not sure they were particularly wise with it.  Fitz is cheap and they got tua cheap for 4 years so try and find pieces that work, so a little overspend isn't bad.  Def going secondary heavy - which makes the move to move minkah so strange.  They now have an incredibly expensive secondary, and very little in the way of pass rush. 

Offensively - they moved their best running back in drake - and i think they did a nice job replacing him with howard and breida.  The only issue i have there is how much money they invested at RB, while doing nothing at WR.  Made a bunch of changes along the oline... but I'm not sure Jackson is going to be good in year 1 with no camp, and flowers and karras stink (and are now overpaid).  

So i like some moves - but i don't know that paying that much for byron jones, and van noy is going to put them over the edge.  As for pass rush - i don't know that ogbah and lawson get it done either.  Building a rushing offense should start up front - this wasn't the greatest FA class there but i felt like they missed.  Fitz is a total wildcard - he'll put up points/yards, but he's a 6-8 win QB.  I'd play tua late in the year just to get some reps, get a feel for the game etc.  Might try something similar to what the bills did with ford with jackson - get some snaps but don't throw the guy completely to the wolves. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I consider McDermott's first year of coaching the Bills as one of the best coaching job in the history of the franchise. He got a stripped down and rebuilding team playing to its maximum potential. Getting that team into the playoffs was  beyond anyone's expectation. Last year I thought that Miami's coach, Flores, did an equally terrific job in coaching a team that deliberately was tanking for one of the top qbs in the draft to consistently play hard, although clearly outgunned, throughout the season. They finished the season playing well and winning more games than expected and to be honest desired by the organization.

The Dolphins, like the Bills before the installation of the McBean regime, finally have a plan and seem to be executing it instead of taking a year to year ad hoc approach. This is a good situation for Tua to be part of.   

I couldn’t agree more John. If Flores would have received a few COY votes last year I wouldn’t have blinked. That team had zero talent and played hard. They were prepared and overachieved. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I couldn’t agree more John. If Flores would have received a few COY votes last year I wouldn’t have blinked. That team had zero talent and played hard. They were prepared and overachieved. bl

There have been many coaches from Belichick's staff who have been hired to be a HC with mediocre results. Flores, a less than prominent coach on his staff who wasn't even a coordinator, was surprisingly hired by the Dolphins. He took over a team in which the organization he joined wasn't even subtle in publicizing their intention to tank for the purpose of being in a position to draft one of the top qbs in the class. What really impressed me about his job last year is that there were games in which his overmatched team was steamrolled. Usually the next game they came back with a maximum effort, and sometimes won. At the end of the season his team was a tough team to play. I was really impressed by him.    

2 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Spot on.  Flores and Grier stripped down the Dolphin's roster ala SF 49ers in year one of the Flores regime and they overachieved.  Miami beat NE and Philly, something we couldn't do in year three of the McD era.  Miami is going to be a very good team in a few years, both player personnel-wise and coaching.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

McD didn't exactly strip down the roster in year 1, but rather after the 2017 season.  His first year contained a lot of the Rex/Whaley roster.  Year 2, 2018 season, is where they had a stripped down roster and played better than their talent level.  IMO, the 2017 season (year 1) is where they finished about where they should have...9-7.