Lockdowns in College Football.....

Bill from NYC

I could easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that many "big name" programs will be hurt by this whole Corona thing, and that the playing field might be evened, if only a little bit. I think this primarily because of the quality of coaching. Coach Saban, given several months, fully knows how to prepare his players physically and mentally. His record in opening games is astoundingly good, and Alabama usually opens against a ranked non-conference team at a neutral site. I have heard numerous defensive players say that the defensive system at Alabama is more complicated than NFL systems, and now; they will have less time to learn the system.

I am sure that the above applies to Clemson, OSU, LSU, and other great programs.  Of course, they do have more talented players than lesser ranked schools. I get this too.

Do you folks see any possibility in this hunch or should we expect business as usual?

20 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I could easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that many "big name" programs will be hurt by this whole Corona thing, and that the playing field might be evened, if only a little bit. I think this primarily because of the quality of coaching. Coach Saban, given several months, fully knows how to prepare his players physically and mentally. His record in opening games is astoundingly good, and Alabama usually opens against a ranked non-conference team at a neutral site. I have heard numerous defensive players say that the defensive system at Alabama is more complicated than NFL systems, and now; they will have less time to learn the system.

I am sure that the above applies to Clemson, OSU, LSU, and other great programs.  Of course, they do have more talented players than lesser ranked schools. I get this too.

Do you folks see any possibility in this hunch or should we expect business as usual?

There are so many unknowns and uncontrollable events that it is difficult to predict what will happen not only in the games but to the sport. What happens if a few players or staffers prior to a game test positive? Do you subject the team to a quarantine? What happens if the opposition, home or way, have players or staff members who test positive? Do you still play them knowing that there is a lag time between exposure and detection?

This sport is different from the MMA where there are few people involved in the contest. Even with the lesser number of people involved in the contest it was a complicated and tricky endeavor to put on.  The football enterprise encompasses such a large number of people making it so much more difficult to execute not only the games but the logistics.

Without a doubt Coach Saban is one of the most prepared coaches in the game and will be meticulous in dealing with the innumerable unpredictable issues he and the program will be confronted with. Saban is not an easy man to deal with but he is certainly a good man who will look out for the best interest of his players. Getting back to your question as to who has the best advantage? I don't know.   

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Clemson should be fine given the returning QB and same schemes on both sides/coaching staffs. Justyn Ross out for the year is a bit of a blow though. I’m sure they have a WR stable ready to step up. 

Are teams allowed to use the schools facilities to work out? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, SectionC3 said:

I hate to say it, but it’s looking more and more like CFB will be a spring sport this year. 

Playing in the spring, or even late winter, is not  viable. No one inside the sport thinks it is an option. There is a small portion of media that does.  If you see anyone write about it, they have no clue imo. You cannot have college kids play 2 full football seasons in the same calendar year. Every player who thinks he’s an early round pick would sit out. The NFL will not push back its combine and draft. The option, if they can’t play a full season, will be to play just the conference schedule. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Playing in the spring, or even late winter, is not  viable. No one inside the sport thinks it is an option. There is a small portion of media that does.  If you see anyone write about it, they have no clue imo. You cannot have college kids play 2 full football seasons in the same calendar year. Every player who thinks he’s an early round pick would sit out. The NFL will not push back its combine and draft. The option, if they can’t play a full season, will be to play just the conference schedule. 

I’m not arguing the physicality of it.  I’ll think they’ll give it a go in the spring if they can’t play in the fall, though, for economic reasons 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think UB is done. The MAC just called off spring sports. I assume that includes football.

It wasn’t the MAC that UB plays in. That was the Mid Atlantic Conf. that cancelled fall sports.  It’s like Davidson, etc ... small schools

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.