Interview with Wyoming OC on Josh Allen

Thanks for posting the link. Pretty long - so needed some patience to listen to the whole thing:) 

Maybe it is me, but I got the feeling Josh Allen would not be the QB he is today without the opportunity to lead that ragtag 2017 Wyoming team to become respectable. After listening, I was reminded of an old saying I heard first in middle school (I had to look it up - found it was a Buddhist saying):

"The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud --- the obstacles of life and its suffering. ... The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life." 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Thanks for posting the link. Pretty long - so needed some patience to listen to the whole thing:) 

Maybe it is me, but I got the feeling Josh Allen would not be the QB he is today without the opportunity to lead that ragtag 2017 Wyoming team to become respectable. After listening, I was reminded of an old saying I heard first in middle school (I had to look it up - found it was a Buddhist saying):

"The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud --- the obstacles of life and its suffering. ... The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life." 

I like that quote.

• Like (+1) 3

Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

One thing that caught my attention was that he is certainly a leader. That he hung in with the inexperienced, new  wrs was great to see. Great perspective from his former OC.

Summary:

In high school he was a late developer.

Did a semester of JuCo.  Wyoming wanted Eric Dungy, but he signed with Syracuse instead.

Came to Wyoming and wasn't intended to be the starter, but Senior got injured so he started Week 2.  Broke his collar bone 13 plays in and got to sit a season and learn.

Came back stronger the next season and won some big games.  Mature, smart, good football IQ, good guy, believes in himself and knows who he is and isn't trying to be something different. His arm strength makes up for a lot, but needed work on his footwork and was careless running the ball.  He needs to "wrangle in his game".  He's currently learning that he doesn't have to do it all himself.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Not gonna have the patience to sit through this one...did he say Josh is inaccurate and can never be better?

It's really quite good.   It's no bs.   It's just a guy who loves football and coaching talking about a player who came through their program.  

He didn't go into a long discussion about accuracy, but he was asked what is the one criticism of Josh today that you think his fair.   The first thing he said in response to the question was that accuracy was an issue at Wyoming, but he thinks the criticism of Josh's accuracy is not fair.   He didn't elaborate, but it was clear that he doesn't think accuracy is a problem.  His ultimate answer was Josh's problem is that he has to continue to learn the things he can't do.   He said, essentially, that when Josh showed up at Wyoming, he thought he could do anything, and that's when the process of reining him in began.   He said that Josh is making progress, but he still has more to learn.  

He said that one of the best things about Josh is that he's all about football.   He said that a lot of people wondered about Josh coming back to play in a meaningless bowl game when he was about to be a first-round draft pick.  Why would he do that, people wondered.   This guy says Josh is all about playing ball with his teammates.   For him, there was no question that he was going to play.   Some teams may have thought that was a negative, but that love of the game, that desire to compete, is what McBeane look for.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

.   He said, essentially, that when Josh showed up at Wyoming, he thought he could do anything, and that's when the process of reining him in began.   He said that Josh is making progress, but he still has more to learn.  

The lateral he attempted to Knox  in the playoff against Houston is a perfect example of wanting to do everything.   On the same vein, the 4th and 1 he converted against Dallas putting his body on the line was phenomenal.   I don't think players like him know when to switch if ON and OFF.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The lateral he attempted to Knox  in the playoff against Houston is a perfect example of wanting to do everything.   On the same vein, the 4th and 1 he converted against Dallas putting his body on the line was phenomenal.   I don't think players like him know when to switch if ON and OFF.

No, no.   That's the opposite of what the coach said.   The coach commented briefly about Josh's good and bad in the playoff game.   But the important thing he said is that Josh is all about learning when to switch it on and off.   He said Josh is smart and really wants to win, and he completely understands now that he can't do it himself.    He said Josh began learning what he can't do at Wyoming and he's continuing to learn.   He essentially said that he sees continuing progress from Josh in that regard.  

It's an interesting interview, because the guy is not a fan boy.   He wasn't talking about Josh becoming a Hall of Famer or anything like that.   He talks about Josh from a coach's perspective - what progress he's made, what he needs to continue to work on, what kind of guy he is.   He makes no predictions about Josh's future.   It's just observations on Josh's development as a football player.   

• Like (+1) 2

A good watch. Thanks for posting. 

With the entire OL returning, a SUPER WR, another promising rookie RB added and another year with Motor, Brown & Beasley, there’s absolutely no reason to ‘try to do it all’. Every one of them are ‘backyard superstars’ in their own right. Mesh it together in Daboll’s third season as OC and one can see the reasons the Bills are early picks to take the Division this season, brutal schedule notwithstanding.

This said, I hope not all of the ‘I’m gonna DO THIS’ leaves his game. It’s actually a thrilling positive.

• Like (+1) 8

4 hours ago, eball said:

Not gonna have the patience to sit through this one...did he say Josh is inaccurate and can never be better?

No he said the inaccuracy issue is overblown but he did infer that Josh tries to do too much all at once. Aside from his athleticism and canon for an arm I've said that leadership will be one of his greatest strengths. We're seeing that now in Florida. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A good watch. Thanks for posting. 

With the entire OL returning, a SUPER WR, another promising rookie RB added and another year with Motor, Brown & Beasley, there’s absolutely no reason to ‘try to do it all’. Every one of them are ‘backyard superstars’ in their own right. Mesh it together in Daboll’s third season as OC and one can see the reasons the Bills are early picks to take the Division this season, brutal schedule notwithstanding.

This said, I hope not all of the ‘I’m gonna DO THIS’ leaves his game. It’s actually a thrilling positive.

I agree his DO IT attitude leads to some special stuff, as long as he can DO IT while protecting the ball better and avoiding the big hits. It’s a fine line, but I’m guessing he makes progress there this year. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, eball said:

8:40 mark - Issues that plagued him from the beginning of time, continue to plague him now.  Take it as you may.

Footwork...

https://gfycat.com/liquidwealthybutterfly

Footwork...

https://gfycat.com/ajarwarmaustraliankelpie

Footwork...

Edited by TwistofFate

4 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

8:40 mark - Issues that plagued him from the beginning of time, continue to plague him now.  Take it as you may.

Congratulations on sifting the nugget out of the catbox.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree his DO IT attitude leads to some special stuff, as long as he can DO IT while protecting the ball better and avoiding the big hits. It’s a fine line, but I’m guessing he makes progress there this year. 

Of course I too hope he shores up his weaknesses, and no doubt he'll improve. But those areas will probably always remain... yet his STRENGTHS are so many, so special, it's like weird to focus on his weaknesses constantly. As an example Bret Favre threw a LOT of INTs, and he's still one of the greats. Lamar Jackson has tons of holes in his game yet was league MVP.

Josh throws very few INTs, yet people act like he is a turnover machine because of the fumbles. Who expected Josh to run MORE than Tyrod Taylor and throw very little INTs? His intangibles, wits, charm and leadership are top notch. Again, I sure hope he improves, his ceiling is so high. But I don't mind some weaknesses considering his strengths.

54 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Of course I too hope he shores up his weaknesses, and no doubt he'll improve. But those areas will probably always remain... yet his STRENGTHS are so many, so special, it's like weird to focus on his weaknesses constantly. As an example Bret Favre threw a LOT of INTs, and he's still one of the greats. Lamar Jackson has tons of holes in his game yet was league MVP.

Josh throws very few INTs, yet people act like he is a turnover machine because of the fumbles. Who expected Josh to run MORE than Tyrod Taylor and throw very little INTs? His intangibles, wits, charm and leadership are top notch. Again, I sure hope he improves, his ceiling is so high. But I don't mind some weaknesses considering his strengths.

You're right, and I'll go beyond that.   Josh Allen is going to eliminate his weaknesses.   

Listening to this coach, listening to McBeane talk about why they drafted him, it's clear to me that Allen is a learning machine.   He wants to keep learning how to win.   That's the point the coach makes about Josh learning to dial back his desired to do everything himself.   He's learning that's not the way to win.   He's learning how far to dial it back, and when to turn it up a notch.  

This notion that he's a learning machine is what makes me expect him eventually to play with great discipline, like Brady.    Josh is learning, game after game, what things maximize the chances of winning, and he's incorporating those things into his game.   In another couple of years we're going to be looking at a guy with one of the great arms in the history of game who has learned to eliminate his mistakes.   INTs will be low, fumbles will be low, completion percentage will be high, and he will be one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL.  

Believe it.   It's coming.   That's who Allen is.   He's over the hump already, and he isn't close to being finished learning.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

The difference, I believe, is that they were great at something that overwhelms their defects so people don't care. Farve was a great passer, Lamar is a great runner. Both did something well above average. Josh is a tweener right now: not great at passing and decent at running, but not elite.

What Josh has that neither Farve or Lamar have is the talent to put both athleticism and arm together. The question is will he... and that is an open debate.