Bills Mount Rushmore

Kelly

Kyle Williams

Lorax

Thurman/Bruce

When it comes to a Bills Mount Rushmore list, I went with a group who contributed on and off the field.  You wanna look at model players all around and I think these guys fit that mold.  They loved being a Bill and being a part of the community.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:52 AM, VirginiaMike said:

I know we did a Mt. Rushmore of Bills and Sabres coaches and now Fox has done that with Bills players.  I did not see another post on this so here goes.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-all-time-mount-rushmore-4-best-players-in-franchise-history

They picked Jim Kelly, Smith, OJ Simpson, & Andre Reed.  All are great players, but once again like when he was coming out of college, Thurman Thomas was forgotten and disrespected.  I would replace Reed with Thomas.  I know the obvious choice to toss should be Simpson, but not for his performance on the field.  For me, I can't disregard his on field performance, which was standard setting.

They are the best in franchise history at their positions, and hall of famers to boot. 

Im fine with it. 

As much as I love Thurman,  OJ was better. 

Reed is the 17th most productive Wr in NFL history.  No way he gets removed. 

Maybe this should be another thread but what about a Mount Flushmore.

worst draft - J.P Losman - the Bills traded their 2005 1st Rd pick as part of a package to get back in the 1st Rd of 2004 and select JP

worst FA signings -  Marv was a great coach but remember his stint as GM. How about the Langston Walker 5 year 25 million and Derrick Dockery 7 year 49 million contracts Levy gave out.

worst HC - Hank Bullough or Kay Stephenson. back to back 2-14 seasons in 84 and 85. What a nightmare.

worst GM- I am going with the Marv Levy experiment here as the above signings prove.

I am sure their are better choices and the older Bills fans can point back to examples in the 60's. My choices are from what I remember as complete disasters.

46 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Maybe this should be another thread but what about a Mount Flushmore.

worst draft - J.P Losman - the Bills traded their 2005 1st Rd pick as part of a package to get back in the 1st Rd of 2004 and select JP

worst FA signings -  Marv was a great coach but remember his stint as GM. How about the Langston Walker 5 year 25 million and Derrick Dockery 7 year 49 million contracts Levy gave out.

worst HC - Hank Bullough or Kay Stephenson. back to back 2-14 seasons in 84 and 85. What a nightmare.

worst GM- I am going with the Marv Levy experiment here as the above signings prove.

I am sure their are better choices and the older Bills fans can point back to examples in the 60's. My choices are from what I remember as complete disasters.

Don’t forget Trent Murphy, 3 yrs at $22.5 M in the worst FA signings ever.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Don’t forget Trent Murphy, 3 yrs at $22.5 M in the worst FA signings ever.

Good point but their is so much to choose from with the Bills that there will be a lot of different answers.

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Sestak belongs. 

There are only six defensive linemen who played in the 1960s, who were all-league selections in three-or-more seasons – Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Gino Marchetti, Deacon Jones, Willie Davis and Tom Sestak.  Of the six, Sestak is the only one that is not a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Career cut short by injuries, but so were Gayle Sayers and Bo Jackson among others.

3 hours ago, Yoho said:

How about the 4 we let get away - based on what they did after leaving the Bills

Daryl Lamonica

Marshawn Lynch

Jason Peters

Stephon Gilmore

Ahmad Rashad or Ron McDole would replace Lynch on my list.

9 hours ago, Yoho said:

How about the 4 we let get away - based on what they did after leaving the Bills

Daryl Lamonica

Marshawn Lynch

Jason Peters

Stephon Gilmore

Trading Peters is the worst personnel decision in Bills history.  He will be a first ballot HOF player that the Bills developed.  He should be one of the great BIlls of all time.  This was not a first round draft pick they missed on.  This is a guy that they coached for five years. He was an elite LT and only 26 years old.  

Arguably one of the worst trades ever by any franchise.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Since he was signed for multiple more years the Bills should have made him sit out or play.

Bills bending over backwards due to slimy actions of his agent including refusing to negotiate for other players whose contracts were up for renewal is reason why agents started treating Buffalo as easy to get what they wanted.

It was one of the worst trades because of THIS not because they would not give him a new contract.

Hijack thread in progress...

Bills should have amended/extended his contract and paid him like the elite LT he was.  Sometimes the other party has all the leverage in a negotiation and you just have to avoid making a bad decision.  Trading one of the 6 or 7 best LT's in NFL history because you can't deal with an agent is weak.  

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When you say we I am assuming you are saying you were assisting in it for other teams.

Aren't you forgetting Gary Anderson who tanked preseason after being drafted by Buffalo and immediately went to Pittsburgh to play for 13 years?

Excellent call out.  At least with the other 4 the Bills got some high level play for many years before losing them.

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Trading Peters is the worst personnel decision in Bills history.  He will be a first ballot HOF player that the Bills developed.  He should be one of the great BIlls of all time.  This was not a first round draft pick they missed on.  This is a guy that they coached for five years. He was an elite LT and only 26 years old.  

Arguably one of the worst trades ever by any franchise.

don't forget he started out as a TE and the BillS switched him to LT.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Since he was signed for multiple more years the Bills should have made him sit out or play.

Bills bending over backwards due to slimy actions of his agent including refusing to negotiate for other players whose contracts were up for renewal is reason why agents started treating Buffalo as easy to get what they wanted.

It was one of the worst trades because of THIS not because they would not give him a new contract.

At the time, I agreed with you Limeaid, I thought that we already renegotiated his contract (twice I think) and he can't just keep asking for more. However, the reality is, the entire situation started with Levy signing Derrick Dockery to a seven year $49 million contract ($18 million signing bonus) and Langston Walker to a $25 million five year contract ($10 million signing bonus). When he did that, all of talk radio said they obviously now had to pay Peters. But, their attitude was he had already renegotiated and they weren't going to do that. If we didn't overpay those other two, I'm not so sure Peters would have held out, or at least not the year that he did. And, hopefully at some point they would have paid him what he deserved.