Davis Webb running the FL workouts?

eball

38 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

You can keep 4 QB’s on the roster, as has been done before, but I get it - you pay a price as a team.

Would it be worth it though? I’d rather use that extra spot on WR and realistically what does Webb bring that Allen, Barkley and Fromm don’t? Allen is the guy it looks like going forward, Barkley is the teacher and Fromm is the learner. 

So Davis Webb was in all of the QB meetings last year after he joined the team even though he was on the PS.

Id say he is back on the PS, and the Bills roll with 3 on the main roster. I cant see Barkley being cut and going down the same road when Peterman was the backup. If you remember how much BB said he regretted not getting Derek Anderson in at the beginning of the year. Now his contract expires after this year, all bets are off. Fromm might have potential but I cant see them making the same mistake with so much ridding on this upcoming season.

5 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

So Davis Webb was in all of the QB meetings last year after he joined the team even though he was on the PS.

Id say he is back on the PS, and the Bills roll with 3 on the main roster. I cant see Barkley being cut and going down the same road when Peterman was the backup. If you remember how much BB said he regretted not getting Derek Anderson in at the beginning of the year. Now his contract expires after this year, all bets are off. Fromm might have potential but I cant see them making the same mistake with so much ridding on this upcoming season.

I wonder if Barkley would agree to be on the PS?  Now you can have 2 players on the PS with any number of games played/accrued seasons.  You get the benefit of having him around with the team without having to use a roster spot on him.  And I doubt anyone else signs him if he's cut.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I wonder if Barkley would agree to be on the PS?  Now you can have 2 players on the PS with any number of games played/accrued seasons.  You get the benefit of having him around with the team without having to use a roster spot on him.  And I doubt anyone else signs him if he's cut.

In that scenario, is DW on the 53 or what does the QB roster look like in this situation.

6 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

In that scenario, is DW on the 53 or what does the QB roster look like in this situation.

So it would be Josh and Fromm on the active roster (assuming Fromm looks good enough to keep) and DW and Barkley on the PS.  DW hasn't appeared in a single game so he's easy to put on the PS.  Barkley would be able to get 1 of 2 spots for someone like him, but it's a huge pay cut, but better than not getting paid at all like he would be if they cut him.  Of course, this is all assuming that PS players can be on the sidelines during games, i.e. so Barkley can give Josh advice.  If not then all bets are off.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

So it would be Josh and Fromm on the active roster (assuming Fromm looks good enough to keep) and DW and Barkley on the PS.  DW hasn't appeared in a single game so he's easy to put on the PS.  Barkley would be able to get 1 of 2 spots for someone like him, but it's a huge pay cut, but better than not getting paid at all like he would be if they cut him.  Of course, this is all assuming that PS players can be on the sidelines during games, i.e. so Barkley can give Josh advice.  If not then all bets are off.

His salary might be an issue. He is currently making 2 mil a yr, I dont know how much he can make on the PS.

4 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

His salary might be an issue. He is currently making 2 mil a yr, I dont know how much he can make on the PS.

Actually I looked it up and a PS player can be paid anything.  And his salary counts against the cap.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually I looked it up and a PS player can be paid anything.  And his salary counts against the cap.

Interesting. I wonder what MB would think of something like that. He does seem like a team player, and could be put back on the roster if JA got hurt. He wouldnt normally play in a game anyways in a perfect world (unless its mop up duty) ?

3 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Interesting. I wonder what MB would think of something like that. He does seem like a team player, and could be put back on the roster if JA got hurt. He wouldnt normally play in a game anyways in a perfect world (unless its mop up duty) ?

Team player or not, if the team were to cut him, he'd probably be out of the league.  So it's either take their offer or no more money.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Team player or not, if the team were to cut him, he'd probably be out of the league.  So it's either take their offer or no more money.

Yea thats quite possible, its interesting to see the fine line of what is a backup QB across the league and being out of the league. For example Alex Tanney is still in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is even easier to put Fromm on PS and pay him full salary.   Bills had a RB (Williams?) on PS and Denver signed him and then paid him full salary so he would remain on PS and not take other offers.

I remember that.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is even easier to put Fromm on PS and pay him full salary.   Bills had a RB (Williams?) on PS and Denver signed him and then paid him full salary so he would remain on PS and not take other offers.

If Fromm looks competent enough, you risk losing him if you cut him and try to sneak him onto the PS.  Not worth the risk in that case.

As for Jonathan Williams, the Bills actually cut him.  I don't know if their intention was to put him on the PS when the Broncos claimed him but yes they paid him his $510K salary to be on the PS, which is more than most get.  But to a team to sign him from the PS to their roster would have been a pay raise so there was little danger there.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well for Fromm their positions are very similar.  Both were 5th late round picks drafted by a team for "value" and likely not to play much.  

I was just giving an option the Bills could use although the PS did not work out well for Williams except his bank account.

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2016 22 BUF   31 11 0 27 94 1 6 20 3.5 8.5 2.5 2 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 0.1 0.0 50.0% 0.0 28 3.4 94 1 2 1
2018 24 NOR   32 3 0 3 0 0   1 0.0 0.0 1.0 1 1 1 1.0 0   1 0.3 0.3 100.0% 1.0 4 0.3 1 0 0 0
2019 25 IND   33 9 1 49 235 1 13 48 4.8 26.1 5.4 5 5 59 11.8 0 3 31 0.6 6.6 100.0% 11.8 54 5.4 294 1 0 2

Their draft positions are similar, but the positions they play are very different.  Which is why you take the cautious approach with Fromm, again if he shows he's worth developing.

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Would it be worth it though? I’d rather use that extra spot on WR and realistically what does Webb bring that Allen, Barkley and Fromm don’t? Allen is the guy it looks like going forward, Barkley is the teacher and Fromm is the learner. 

I’m just speaking from a general standpoint, (not just Bills).  It would be worth it (to hold 4 QBs) if the talent at QB (or any position) is commensurate with holding a spot on the roster.  Anyway, just saying a team, any team, can hold 4 QB’s, (see pats and Tom Brady - year 2000).  Belicheck didn’t want to hold 4 Qbs but made the sacrifice - and it paid off.  Anyway, I’m quite happy with our QB room now.  

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well if you want to compare QBs Davis Webb was a 3rd round QB cut in first year.  Fromm needs development time if he is going to succeed and if PS is the best way to get it, being elevated to regular squad occasionally using new rules, Bills ought to consider it.  He will not make a difference this year.

I've already laid this out for you Limeaid.  Again Barkley can be placed on the PS and elevated during game days now.  That allows for Fromm to still be developed, but on the active roster, and without potentially losing him when the Bills cut him to try and put him on the PS.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

No way he still has practice squad eligibility.

17 hours ago, eball said:

Read that interesting tidbit in an article on the front page this morning.  Players talking about how detailed and knowledgeable Webb is in multiple offenses, and how he basically organized and ran the practices.  We might have a dark horse candidate for backup QB who was already on the roster.

Probably the end of Barkley.

16 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I wonder how much the coaching staff was actually in on this. 

Hopefully a lot of it

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He’s got the most Caucasian name ever.

You mean just like Anthony Jerome "Spud" Webb? Oh wait... ?

Edited by jabu
  • Haha (+1) 1