Davis Webb running the FL workouts?

eball

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honestly, the coaches have nothing to do with these workouts. These guys are professionals. They work at their craft. I’ve been working from home for almost the last 3 months. No one has to call me to tell me what to do. I understand the expectation of my job. I understand how to do the job. This is no different.

Exactly this. What we are seeing is Leadership from the people who should be leaders on the team. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree with both of you guys.  I would be amazed if teams don't have a section of the team tablet with "suggestions" on off season training, workouts,

diet, etc along with a "how to" section for group workouts.  None of this would go against the CBA rules.  Plus these guys have been through

training camps and practices to know how it's done.  It even makes the rumors of Webb running the sessions even more likely.

Exactly.

We know that each player at the end of the year gets lists of things to work on (plays, gameplans, food/nutrition, workout, etc.) and my guess that includes a ton of plays they want “memorized” for TC and OTAs.  They also get a bunch of food and nutrition guidelines individualized for each player.  None of that is against the CBA.

I do not believe for a second though that SM would provide them with any specific directions for working out together or handling these types of interactions.  This is something the players (guys that have been through this) put together.  They go through some verbiage to get guys on the same page and hit a bunch of routes on the route tree.  There did not appear to be anything specific or hardcore they were doing.

My guess would be afterwards that sit around with some drinks and watch a bit of the video shots and talk a bit about what they need to do, but my guess is none of the planning is directed out of Bills headquarters.  Now I also would not be surprised if a copy of that ends up back at One Bills Drive for SM an the offensive staff to review so they have some idea of how these guys are operating.  They probably will also talk to the guys as the OTAs start and give a few new pointers and ideas based on what you can see.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

We know that each player at the end of the year gets lists of things to work on (plays, gameplans, food/nutrition, workout, etc.) and my guess that includes a ton of plays they want “memorized” for TC and OTAs.  They also get a bunch of food and nutrition guidelines individualized for each player.  None of that is against the CBA.

I do not believe for a second though that SM would provide them with any specific directions for working out together or handling these types of interactions.  This is something the players (guys that have been through this) put together.  They go through some verbiage to get guys on the same page and hit a bunch of routes on the route tree.  There did not appear to be anything specific or hardcore they were doing.

My guess would be afterwards that sit around with some drinks and watch a bit of the video shots and talk a bit about what they need to do, but my guess is none of the planning is directed out of Bills headquarters.  Now I also would not be surprised if a copy of that ends up back at One Bills Drive for SM an the offensive staff to review so they have some idea of how these guys are operating.  They probably will also talk to the guys as the OTAs start and give a few new pointers and ideas based on what you can see.

I think that my favorite thing about these type of workouts is peer accountability. You don’t want to be the guy that shows up out of shape. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that my favorite thing about these type of workouts is peer accountability. You don’t want to be the guy that shows up out of shape. 

Exactly - my guess is it also gets a bit of competitive juices flowing - guys want to be in better shape, guys want to know routes, and most importantly they all see the level of some of these newer guys and realize they have to step up their game.

This could be great for a guy like Foster or McKenzie to see just how much competition the WRs will have.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Cant believe we even talking about a tough QB cut in training camp. Such a good feeling that we have our franchise guy and 3 solid backups with promise. 

Right?  I remember the days where we were still adding QB’s during training camp and giving them first team reps.  

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

All it takes is someone being cut and talking to reporter or coach on new team.

No one's getting cut until the final cuts at the end of pre-season.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I wonder how much the coaching staff was actually in on this. 

I could be wrong -- but I'm pretty certain club involvement in off-season practices where players voluntarily get together is strictly forbidden by the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA.

I mean like seriously forbidden. Like losing draft picks forbidden.

Kinda reiterates how players know their roles with the team, and using that to earn their spot.  Because Davis is a "team" player and is an asset as an extra coach, it makes him more valuable than another back up who isn't as "team" oriented.

7 hours ago, eball said:

I don’t think I’d say Barkley “has promise” but Webb and Fromm certainly do.  The tough call for McD and Beane is because Barkley and Josh are clearly very good friends.  It remains to be seen just what they value in the QB room the most but if Webb and Fromm are just as much “good guys” as Barkley we could see a change.

Its a tough call because these are the same guys who kept the guy from Pitt and started him a few times.  Lets hope they can see whats going on here this time. (Peterman)

Edited by bigK14094
Add content

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Yeah i agree with Barkley, not a whole lot of promise but he is still fairly young, extremely smart guy and he is great friends with josh off the field. they are always together. Is Webb eligible for the practice roster? Jake Fromm wont last a second if we waive him and attempt to sing him on the practice roster. Should be an exciting battle for backup QB.

Not so sure we care if Fromm moves on. Worth a flyer, but I don't believe in his arm...

1 hour ago, boater said:

I could be wrong -- but I'm pretty certain club involvement in off-season practices where players voluntarily get together is strictly forbidden by the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA.

I mean like seriously forbidden. Like losing draft picks forbidden.

So.......what you’re saying is.....the Patriots* have to be extra sneaky???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Not so sure we care if Fromm moves on. Worth a flyer, but I don't believe in his arm...

Fromm is going to be in this roster for a minimum of 4 years that’s gauranteed. 

9 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

You keep Barkley and Fromm, Webb is out.... Josh Allen was noticeably better after we signed Matt Barkley. Barkley has been in the league 7 or 8 years now and has lots of experience which Webb and Fromm have none of. I think Barkley could have been a good starter in the league if he had a better arm... Anyways, you keep Barkley around to mentor Fromm and to backup Josh if he goes down.

You can keep 4 QB’s on the roster, as has been done before, but I get it - you pay a price as a team.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not being naive or homer-ish but this team doesn’t show any signs of player vs coach strife.

The Bills seem like a “ team” in the sense of the SuperBowl era where everyone is on the same page.

My original question wasn’t suggesting anything more than a “ check in” between Webb and Roman and/ or a position coach or two. A quick chat without a bunch of specificity.

I would be Shocked  if anyone at these workouts narced out a coach. I can clearly imagine Allen or Webb reminding everyone to keep it on the down low if any coach input was discussed.

That's super shady. I'm sure they want to all follow the rules and would not appreciate it if coaches tried to break the rules.