Davis Webb running the FL workouts?

eball

Read that interesting tidbit in an article on the front page this morning.  Players talking about how detailed and knowledgeable Webb is in multiple offenses, and how he basically organized and ran the practices.  We might have a dark horse candidate for backup QB who was already on the roster.

• Like (+1) 4

It speaks to the argument he may one day be headed to the coaching ranks. It also allowed Josh who organized the workouts to concentrate on running the plays correctly and teaching Diggs and the rooks exactly what he wanted done. It was also nice to see Smoke and Beasley to help Diggs. Kudos to Webb. Backup QB will be real interesting. I wonder if Fromm had a conventional off season if he had a real chance of supplanting Barkley but with the strange off season its hard to see that. Then what does that mean for Webb? Will they keep Fromm on the 53 and keep Webb on the practice squad?

• Like (+1) 10

8 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

It speaks to the argument he may one day be headed to the coaching ranks. It also allowed Josh who organized the workouts to concentrate on running the plays correctly and teaching Diggs and the rooks exactly what he wanted done. It was also nice to see Smoke and Beasley to help Diggs. Kudos to Webb. Backup QB will be real interesting. I wonder if Fromm had a conventional off season if he had a real chance of supplanting Barkley but with the strange off season its hard to see that. Then what does that mean for Webb? Will they keep Fromm on the 53 and keep Webb on the practice squad?

New England will sign Webb. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

Good points, @tumaro02 — and to clarify for others who may not know, Josh “organized” the workouts (I.e., invited everyone and got them all at the same hotel, etc.) but it is Webb who is “running” the practices.  The quotes were about how disciplined things were being run, which is awesome.  I also liked that they made sure every time Diggs was running a route Josh was the QB, even if it was not during his designated “turn” in the rotation.

• Like (+1) 5

Hes a Cal grad after all. Heard Beane in an interview after the draft and was praising Davis Webb for his smarts, professionalism and the support he gives Josh Allen every week.Its going to be a tough call for the Backup QB cuts. Cant believe we even talking about a tough QB cut in training camp. Such a good feeling that we have our franchise guy and 3 solid backups with promise. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Hes a Cal grad after all. Heard Beane in an interview after the draft and was praising Davis Webb for his smarts, professionalism and the support he gives Josh Allen every week.Its going to be a tough call for the Backup QB cuts. Cant believe we even talking about a tough QB cut in training camp. Such a good feeling that we have our franchise guy and 3 solid backups with promise. 

I don’t think I’d say Barkley “has promise” but Webb and Fromm certainly do.  The tough call for McD and Beane is because Barkley and Josh are clearly very good friends.  It remains to be seen just what they value in the QB room the most but if Webb and Fromm are just as much “good guys” as Barkley we could see a change.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, eball said:

I don’t think I’d say Barkley “has promise” but Webb and Fromm certainly do.  The tough call for McD and Beane is because Barkley and Josh are clearly very good friends.  It remains to be seen just what they value in the QB room the most but if Webb and Fromm are just as much “good guys” as Barkley we could see a change.

Yeah i agree with Barkley, not a whole lot of promise but he is still fairly young, extremely smart guy and he is great friends with josh off the field. they are always together. Is Webb eligible for the practice roster? Jake Fromm wont last a second if we waive him and attempt to sing him on the practice roster. Should be an exciting battle for backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Webb being a good organizer and a good "coach" does not equal him being a good NFL QB. Let us not be too quick to take that leap. He needs to have the talent and tools to be a good NFL QB as well. Being a good player and a good coach are two very different skill sets. Being a good coach candidate and being a good QB candidte are two different paths. Both are yet TBD on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a revelation. A process guy for sure. You know how McDermott and Beane love "Smart, Humble, and Passionate" teammates (Lencioni, The Ideal Team Player). #1 backup, or soon-to-be Assistant QB Coach.

36 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yeah i agree with Barkley, not a whole lot of promise but he is still fairly young, extremely smart guy and he is great friends with josh off the field. they are always together. Is Webb eligible for the practice roster? Jake Fromm wont last a second if we waive him and attempt to sing him on the practice roster. Should be an exciting battle for backup QB.

You keep Barkley and Fromm, Webb is out.... Josh Allen was noticeably better after we signed Matt Barkley. Barkley has been in the league 7 or 8 years now and has lots of experience which Webb and Fromm have none of. I think Barkley could have been a good starter in the league if he had a better arm... Anyways, you keep Barkley around to mentor Fromm and to backup Josh if he goes down.

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

You keep Barkley and Fromm, Webb is out.... Josh Allen was noticeably better after we signed Matt Barkley. Barkley has been in the league 7 or 8 years now and has lots of experience which Webb and Fromm have none of. I think Barkley could have been a good starter in the league if he had a better arm... Anyways, you keep Barkley around to mentor Fromm and to backup Josh if he goes down.

I like it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I wonder how much the coaching staff was actually in on this. 

I’ll bet SM is running practices thru Webb, and giving them specific things to work on, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

Anyone else notice the giant Popeye-like forearms on Barkley in that group photo? 

I yam what i yam... 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Awesome! (+1) 1