The contradiction of getting Terry/Wilkerson

Bills' Daily mock draft takes the sane approach of identifying the best players availableto fill our needs with the picks we now have.

It again correctly identifies Adam Terry as the BPA at #55 and lays out a reasonable plan that he can be trained to one day in the future fill our LT need (he appears to have too many learning needs and physical development needs to be slotted in as an immediate starter at LT).

It then lays out the hope that Wilkerson (again the BPA with Baas and Spencer long gone by the time our 2nd pick rolls around) might be able to step into the center slot in his first year and allow us to move Teague to LT to deal with the hole left by Terry not being read yet.

Though I can see the logic behind this wishful thinking, it strikes me as so unlikely that I really doubt the Bills will go this way.

1. There is an inherent contradiction here- In order for this to work JMac will need to prove he is a development god. Maybe he is (he did a great job getting to the SB with Ziegler and Parker as keys to the NYG line), but if he is then he will squeeze development out of Gandy/Anderson whom we currently have as our LT/LG. If he does, then the picks of Adam/Wilkerson are unecessary as they are unlikely to unseat the JMac revved up Gandy/Anderson for a couple of years. If he fails to develop Gandy/Anderson then I think it is pretty questionable that he somehow is going to turn Wilkerson into a first year starter at C AND revive Teague at LT (while simultaneously reviving Anderson and continuing MW's development),

The Terry/Wilkerson course seems unnecessary if JMAC does what we hope OR unlikely to give us much besides learning in 2005 if JMac does not fulfill our hopes with the OL players we currently have. Either way the first two picks should be used for other needs rather than for players who contribute nothing or not enough this year.

2. Who gets cut in this scenario- The Bills seem committed to MW (RT), CV (RG), TT (C or LT), BA (LG), FG (LT or back-up), RT (back-up OL), LS (back-up OL), and JP (back-up OL). Add to this several development projects the Bills have sown interest in from Dylan McFarland, to Sobieski, Pruce, Epositon etc.

The Bills are expected to keep 9 or 10 OL players. the addition of these two adds two players to the OL which forces the cut of several development players which seems unlikely (I don't think they are done with McFarland yet, JMac believed enough in Smith to have him start last year and add to this that Bannan is moving to the OL side) that adding on a likely development player like Terry and probable development player like Wilkerson seems unlikely.

I think the bottomline here is that the Bills are actually going to have to cut some possibly productive OL players as camp moves on. the test will be who JMac thinks can contribute most right now as to who gets kept.

Thus, I agree the Bills will likely make 2 OL acquisitions in conjunction with draft day, but these players are at worst going to be only 1 2006 and beyond contributor and 1 2005 contributor. I don't think that it is likely that these two will be an LT prospect and a 3rd round center draftee who must contribute this year.

I think that it is by far more likely we will make a trade for a vet and this possibility is near impossible to predict with any accuracy.

I think there is another variable to this equation too that no one has mentioned...Marcus Price. I do not believe he has signed anywhere, correct?!?! If still unsigned after the draft, I could see TD re-signing him and bring him to challenge for the starting LT position. If nothing else, he could be retained as he has in year's past as a viable backup to both tackle positions.

I think there is another variable to this equation too that no one has mentioned...Marcus Price.  I do not believe he has signed anywhere, correct?!?!  If still unsigned after the draft, I could see TD re-signing him and bring him to challenge for the starting LT position.  If nothing else, he could be retained as he has in year's past as a viable backup to both tackle positions.

309111[/snapback]

I saw one post (which may be wrong so if anyone knows the truth please share and provide a link so we know its more than rumor) that Price has an injury which may explain why he seems out of the Bills plans.

I saw one post (which may be wrong so if anyone knows the truth please share and provide a link so we know its more than rumor) that Price has an injury which may explain why he seems out of the Bills plans.

309362[/snapback]

Gandy is not a starter at LT! He is the equivalent of starting Jerry Crafts if he ends up out there on opening day, and we all know how that turned out :rolleyes:

I think that we might see Marcus Price back as he was very valuable as a backup to both LT and RT. He hasn't seen much interest because he has never been a starter and at his age is probably better suited as a backup.

I also think that Shelton may be considered more of a Marcus Price than as a true starting LT. If we end up with Shelton that may be his role.

Depending on the possible trades and draft, we may see Price resigned.