Protest in Buffalo

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah fake news!!  He stumbled...stumbled. 

This incident in Buffalo demonstrates several of the reasons for widespread anger by the protesters.  Protesters claim:

-too often excess or careless force is used

-the other officers present  do not seem to correct the bad behavior

-the other police officers then lie in reports to cover for the excess

-without the videos the police version of events is assumed true

- this all results in a perception of a lack of accountability for bad police behavior. 

- covering for bad cops then too often results in future bad police behavior leading to undeserved citizen injuries and deaths

-in addition, trust in law enforcement overall then suffers

-lawsuits then follow, costing the taxpayers actual dollars 

So, how do we improve the accountability and the trust?  How do you empower officers to better control bad behavior in other officers?  How do you convince police unions that gains they perceive in covering for bad officers are lost many times over in the long run, as we see in the rioting?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I took issue with the word tripped in the police report. The man stumbled backward. However,  according to the thesaurus the words "trip" and "stumble" are synonymous.

After I broke my leg 5 years ago one of the key focus in PT was working on my balance. I still need to be careful doing physical chores due to losing my balance. That old man in the video lost his balance and then stumbled, tripped whatever. But at his age he lost his balance when pushed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

After I broke my leg 5 years ago one of the key focus in PT was working on my balance. I still need to be careful doing physical chores due to losing my balance. That old man in the video lost his balance and then stumbled, tripped whatever. But at his age he lost his balance when pushed.

People are claiming the police lied/covered up what happened in the police report. I would have used the word stumbled, the police used the word tripped. 

I hope your leg heeled well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

This incident in Buffalo demonstrates several of the reasons for widespread anger by the protesters.  Protesters claim:

-too often excess or careless force is used

-the other officers present  do not seem to correct the bad behavior

-the other police officers then lie in reports to cover for the excess

-without the videos the police version of events is assumed true

- this all results in a perception of a lack of accountability for bad police behavior. 

- covering for bad cops then too often results in future bad police behavior leading to undeserved citizen injuries and deaths

-in addition, trust in law enforcement overall then suffers

-lawsuits then follow, costing the taxpayers actual dollars 

So, how do we improve the accountability and the trust?  How do you empower officers to better control bad behavior in other officers?  How do you convince police unions that gains they perceive in covering for bad officers are lost many times over in the long run, as we see in the rioting?

The old hippie should have been home smoking ganga.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

People are claiming the police lied/covered up what happened in the police report. I would have used the word stumbled, the police used the word tripped. 

I hope your leg heeled well.

I am still upright. I saw what Alex Smith went through so things definitely could have been worse,

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I am still upright. I saw what Alex Smith went through so things definitely could have been worse,

Did you see how he came back!? I saw a video his wife posted a few months ago and wow, what an amazing recovery!  I hope you came back just as well.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Did you see how he came back!? I saw a video his wife posted a few months ago and wow, what an amazing recovery!  I hope you back just as well.

Yes and he should never play in the NFL again IMHO. 
I had 2 surgeries due to risk of infection so got lucky that it wasn't an issue post surgery. But I did have to hobble around with an x-fix for 2 weeks (Alex had a halo).
I was lucky to have a good emergency surgeon. I saw he also did Blazer center Jusuf Nurkic's leg surgery a year ago.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

Yes and he should never play in the NFL again IMHO. 
I had 2 surgeries due to risk of infection so got lucky that it wasn't an issue post surgery. But I did have to hobble around with an x-fix for 2 weeks (Alex had a halo).
I was lucky to have a good emergency surgeon. I saw he also did Blazer center Jusuf Nurkic's leg surgery a year ago.

I agree he should never play football again.  Still, an amazing recovery story.

I am glad your surgeries went well for you, and that you had an excellent surgeon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He's not a hippie.  He's a peace activist.  From Buffalo News breaking email:

BREAKING: Meet the man police pushed to the ground during protest in Niagara Square

The protester who was pushed to the ground by Buffalo police Thursday night in front of City Hall in a video seen by more than 11.5 million is a longtime peace activist from Amherst.

Martin Gugino, 75, was in serious but stable condition at Erie County Medical Center as of Thursday night, according to police.

"He’s a gentle person who really believes that he must stand up for what he thinks is right," said his friend Terrence Bisson, who has worked with Gugino on Latin American issues through the Western New York Peace Center.

"That’s why he went to the demonstration. He would never resist physically any kind of orders," Bisson said. "He’s a bit frail, not because of his age. He has some health problems."

Gugino grew up in Buffalo, moved to Cleveland where he worked in computer technology, before returning to Western New York where he has been involved in a broad array of issues ranging from nuclear disarmament to climate change and Guantanamo. He has a YouTube channel with 35 subscribers in which he discusses such issues.

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

He's not a hippie.  He's a peace activist.  From Buffalo News breaking email:

BREAKING: Meet the man police pushed to the ground during protest in Niagara Square

The protester who was pushed to the ground by Buffalo police Thursday night in front of City Hall in a video seen by more than 11.5 million is a longtime peace activist from Amherst.

Martin Gugino, 75, was in serious but stable condition at Erie County Medical Center as of Thursday night, according to police.

"He’s a gentle person who really believes that he must stand up for what he thinks is right," said his friend Terrence Bisson, who has worked with Gugino on Latin American issues through the Western New York Peace Center.

"That’s why he went to the demonstration. He would never resist physically any kind of orders," Bisson said. "He’s a bit frail, not because of his age. He has some health problems."

Gugino grew up in Buffalo, moved to Cleveland where he worked in computer technology, before returning to Western New York where he has been involved in a broad array of issues ranging from nuclear disarmament to climate change and Guantanamo. He has a YouTube channel with 35 subscribers in which he discusses such issues.

Same thing. in my view  Peace activist=hippie. Got health problems? Why was he there?

• Like (+1) 1

Few thoughts on this situation:

1.) You have to be a special kind of stupid to go up to a line of police in riot gear during a riot. Not clear what the guy was trying to do before he was shoved.

2.) "Tripped" is not an inaccurate description in the official reports, but it's not the most honest either.

3.) I do not believe that the officer intended to injure the guy when he shoved him back; the injury was a horrific accident.

4.) I think it was a good sign that the one officer did try to check on him, not sure why the other officer pulled him up and directed him forward (I do not know what the procedures, guidelines, and training are for riot situations.)

5.) The officer behind the front line did seem to immediately call for medical assistance.

6.) I would be disappointed, though not surprised, if the DA tries to jack the cop up on a felony. I think a criminal charge - especially Assault 2nd - would be hard to prove in this situation.

7.) What was going on that required the riot squad anyhow?

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What would you expect them to be charged with?

He approached them, they told him to get away, he still approached, they pushed, he stumbled backwards and fell.

Leaving him there bleeding is where they were wrong, in my opinion. And the one cop pushing the other cop away was terrible. But, maybe neither were trained to help and the national guard guys were trained to help?

I will be curious what the law enforcement guys here will think of the incident, and what they think charges, if any, should be.

what is wrong with you.  It was an elderly man, maybe sometimes you shouldn’t push someone...

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

what is wrong with you.  It was an elderly man, maybe sometimes you shouldn’t push someone...

What is wrong with you? Someone should know better than to approach a line of riot police.  You may want to watch the second video.

Doesn't intent count for anything ?

The policeman should NOT have pushed the guy, even if he shouldn't have been there.

But, I certainly do not see any intent to injure him.......................It is nothing like the murder in Minneapolis

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Few thoughts on this situation:

7.) What was going on that required the riot squad anyhow?

It was 8 PM, the start of the curfew  and they were clearing Niagara Square, The guy is a "oeace activist" (old hippie).