Ed Oliver Tilted 3 Technique

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Did someone say we're meeting at the "Tilted Kilt"?

Where are you sitting? I’m at the bar, closest to the door. (I don’t like to waste paces.) 

:)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That is about a tilted Nose tackle, which is a 1 technique. The idea of the tilted nose is to eat up blockers and keep the linebackers free. The strength of Ed Oliver’s game is penetration, and that is the job of the 3 tech, or outside shoulder of the guard. Back in Tampa, Warren Sapp was the 3 tech next to the tilted nose who was Brad Culpepper. All that said, putting Oliver there is a misuse of his talents imo.

I could see using him there in stunt and twist scenarios, but he’s a prototype penetrating three technique, and that is where he needs to play imo. 

Yes and star lotulelei plays a tilted one tech for us a good amount

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think we won’t know anything about Oliver’s play until at least week 7, maybe longer.

6 weeks is fair considering they gave Gronk 1 game for intentionally injuring Tre.

FatherlyPowerfulFawn-size_restricted.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

In response to  MrEpsYtown:  You are right.  I should have said Tilted one technique.  I know better  than that.

What I had in mind was Oliver lining up tilted over the center's ball hand.  If the center tries to block him, he can't.  Thus, the OL must double team him using the right guard.  This is a technique that favors a quick undersized DT and so I thought it would play to Oliver's skill set.  Star doesn't have Oliver's quickness.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:32 AM, Old Coot said:

Here's a discussion of the tilted 3 technique.  It was developed by Mean Joe Greene.  Warren Sapp used it to good effect.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers

And as pointed out here, it's generally the 1-tech who uses it. In your OP you have him running between the center and the guard and that would again put him in the 1-technique.

IMO the last thing they want is to put him in the 1-tech and have him drawing double-teams in the middle. The McDermott defense does have a guy at 1-tech and drawing double-teams, but it's usually an absolute horse of a guy, Lotulelei for example, and I believe they had Ron Edwards before they drafted Lotulelei in Carolina.

If you wanted to put him in the tilted 3-tech position I'm not sure how well that would work out. But I think McDermott has his defense worked out and is happy with it. He seems to be willing to use variations but I don't think he wants to make major changes at this point.

And Oliver played the 1-tech in college despite pretty much everyone thinking that he'd be better off as a 3-tech, including the Bills. I see you addressed this later and and you did mean they should try him as a tilted 1-tech. That's not going to happen, I don't think.

I did like the article. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:17 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Yes and star lotulelei plays a tilted one tech for us a good amount

Yes.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, it hasn’t been reported he was given an exception for Adderall, then that is moot, but if he didn’t he’ll get a minimum of four games, and if convicted on the other stuff, then he’ll probably be suspended at the end of the year or next year for three games.

It will either be nothing or 3 games, to be served next year. 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Doc, I hope you’re right.  Adderall is a separate issue from having weapon and DUI.  I want you to be right though.  I really do.

There was an article from 2018 in which he talked about riding horses to help deal with his ADHD.  Given he has a known history of it, it's reasonable to believe he has a TUE for Adderall.  Even if he didn't, we don't know if he was tested for it and the league can't use that anyway because it wasn't a league-administered test.  And if they can and he doesn't have a TUE, for a first offense in the off-season, a player only enters into the substances of abuse program.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's an interesting concept , I'm sure the coaches have discussed all the possible ways to use Big Ed . I remember about a month ago, Chris Brown saying that he feels they'll even kick Oliver out to DE , because of the depth at DT and the ability for QJeff and Epenesa to kick inside and Olivers explosiveness for his size should give OTs trouble

Edited by JerseyBills

23 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think we won’t know anything about Oliver’s play until at least week 7, maybe longer.

His case may not even be resolved until 2021. And at most, he will get two games off. He will be fine. I think the whole story of this incident is way overblown.

On 5/30/2020 at 7:25 PM, Paulus said:

6 weeks is fair considering they gave Gronk 1 game for intentionally injuring Tre.

Ed should have his lawyer show this video before the punishment is decided, and point out that purposefully injuring an opponent after the play is dead and said player is out of bounds is a one game penalty by league standards, just a thought. 

Edited by Don Otreply

On 5/30/2020 at 7:25 PM, Paulus said:

Yeah, but the Pats* were playing the Steelers in Primetime in two weeks and RATINGS!(Read: MONEY!)

Messing with lineups are bush league. Pros seen it all. Plus D-line isn't QB. All you really can do is one step to get off the ball. Bills D is all about giving the offense slack, even scores, and then winning when it counts. No penalties. No injuries. Then it's all just visualizing, seeing the play before it happens and knowing everything about the game.

Tilting a 3 tech has very few uses, but they are notable - at least at lower levels of competition. It can dictate blocking schemes because he’s aligned perfectly to penetrate and chase a pulling guard behind the LOS. A good gameplan if an opposing offense relies heavily on sweeps. Can also help with stunts and blitzes by occupying an extra blocker. In the NFL though most blockers are so athletic and experienced that they can adapt to the situation, change line calls, etc quick enough for this to not matter.