Ed Oliver Tilted 3 Technique

I think that using Oliver in a tilted 3 technique would add an interesting wrinkle to the Bill's D.  It forces the technique-side guard to double team Oliver to prevent him from blowing past the center.  What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1

I think the title should be "Hey guys, do you know what a Tilted 3 technique is?"

Thats what you are really asking.  Depending on the answer, it might be matchup specific depending on the Interior OL, the blocking scheme, whether we are ahead in the game, whether its a passing down, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think we won’t know anything about Oliver’s play until at least week 7, maybe longer.

He'll get 2 weeks.  4 at worse due to the substance that's not allowed by the league without notice.  That's it.

23 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

He'll get 2 weeks.  4 at worse due to the substance that's not allowed by the league without notice.  That's it.

And likely not till next season.

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

I think the title should be "Hey guys, do you know what a Tilted 3 technique is?"

Thats what you are really asking.  Depending on the answer, it might be matchup specific depending on the Interior OL, the blocking scheme, whether we are ahead in the game, whether its a passing down, etc.

When I saw the title I thought he had acquired the results of his field sobriety test.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Here's a discussion of the tilted 3 technique.  It was developed by Mean Joe Greene.  Warren Sapp used it to good effect.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers

That is about a tilted Nose tackle, which is a 1 technique. The idea of the tilted nose is to eat up blockers and keep the linebackers free. The strength of Ed Oliver’s game is penetration, and that is the job of the 3 tech, or outside shoulder of the guard. Back in Tampa, Warren Sapp was the 3 tech next to the tilted nose who was Brad Culpepper. All that said, putting Oliver there is a misuse of his talents imo.

I could see using him there in stunt and twist scenarios, but he’s a prototype penetrating three technique, and that is where he needs to play imo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Here's a discussion of the tilted 3 technique.  It was developed by Mean Joe Greene.  Warren Sapp used it to good effect.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers

Thanks.  So If I read this right, it depends on whether we want Oliver to be double teamed.

-Offense wants to decide who it wants to double

-Tilted 3, if he's the right type of player, dictates that the Tilted 3 commands the double.  To allow defensive stunts, keep LBs clean, etc.

-Tilted 3 has to be quick so that, if Offense doesnt double him, he will definitely F the play up.

So I guess it depends on what we drafted Oliver for.  If he's good at beating his man 1-1, like Aaron Donald, then I dont want to dictate or invite a double.  I'd want to avoid a double.   (i'm dizzy now.  Good thing I'm not the DC)

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think we won’t know anything about Oliver’s play until at least week 7, maybe longer.

Probably won’t get a suspension till 2021 with the way the courts are bogged down from covid. Plus it’ll only be 1-3 games. 

3 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Probably won’t get a suspension till 2021 with the way the courts are bogged down from covid. Plus it’ll only be 1-3 games, if anything

FIFY.

• Thank you (+1) 1