VR the next best thing in player evaluation?

Virtual Reality....its out there, but one place im not seeing it used in a place it should be the most, pre draft process. 

Take Qbs for example.   They been measured, tested, broke down film with and questioned. But when are they going to be put in the Vr gear and tested with real NFL game speed before they even step foot on an NFL field? 

I think the VR is going to revolutionize the draft process in the near future and we will see far less busts in the league.  

When the time arrives, the most important grade a NFL prospect could receive could be a "VR grade."

Im actually pretty shocked some form of this doesn't already exist. 

• Like (+1) 3

Exactly. I'm wondering why VR as a tool hasnt already been incorporated in pre draft and even standard nfl practices. Mostly for QBs. What better way to test for pocket presence than NFL simulated pressure? Or to see if you make the right read? You could use the same simulation for all QBs so you could see what EXACTLY how each QB would react with all things being equal. And NFL defenses? You could have a different program for every defensive coordinator. Endless possibilities really. 

• Like (+1) 1

This would be an excellent learning tool for QBs and as well receivers, it would be hands on with out being hands on as it were,  and may have a significant impact on shortening the learning curve for both. 

It would be cool if something like this is already be in a work up stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

When you hold the ball a bit too long in a VR situation, who smashes the everlovin' crap out of you?

It will never have that sense of reality to it. You don't have to deal with the massive infusions of adrenaline and that's half if not three-quarters of the battle

Much more likely to be used in training than evaluation, IMO.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

When you hold the ball a bit too long in a VR situation, who smashes the everlovin' crap out of you?

It will never have that sense of reality to it. You don't have to deal with the massive infusions of adrenaline and that's half if not three-quarters of the battle

The bolded may or may not be true. If you knew your performance could largely impact your draft stock, I think that may get some adrenaline going.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm curious how many detractors have used VR.

I dabble in programming on the Oculus Quest and some of the things you can do are pretty realistic.

When you run around on a hilly virtual terrain your stomach and mind feel the same effects as in real life.

If you play a game that really immerses you, the adrenaline starts flying.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I dont know...i think the adrenaline got going in some of these old folk. 

Not to derail the thread, but it's the offseason...

Anyone own a VR rig? Either Oculus, HTC, or PS4?

A few friends all own Oculus Quests or Rifts, but I'm leaning towards PS4. Mostly because I already have the PS4 Pro. Almost pulled the trigger on the purchase over the weekend, but I'm still on the fence.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2020 at 11:35 AM, TwistofFate said:

Virtual Reality....its out there, but one place im not seeing it used in a place it should be the most, pre draft process. 

Take Qbs for example.   They been measured, tested, broke down film with and questioned. But when are they going to be put in the Vr gear and tested with real NFL game speed before they even step foot on an NFL field? 

I think the VR is going to revolutionize the draft process in the near future and we will see far less busts in the league.  

When the time arrives, the most important grade a NFL prospect could receive could be a "VR grade."

Im actually pretty shocked some form of this doesn't already exist. 

VR is being used in terms of prep and practice already. Just not to the scale you are thinking. VR is relatively new at an enterprise level. Oculus/Facebook just entered the channel and all apps at the enterprise level are custom built. Not like your phone or Oculus you use at home with an app store. VR at the business level is just getting going. Johnson and Johnson, Ford Motors, etc. have started using them, but it has been hand in hand with the manufacturers/vendors until relatively recently.  Be patient, it will come. You will start to see them in your hotels, departments stores, etc. in the next few years as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, TroutDog said:

As small as cameras have become, it seems perfectly reasonable that they could make an in-game experience in VR. While I wouldn’t wear those God forsaken things, I can see the benefit. Interesting. 

You can, but it would never be a consumer level product. The NFL, NCAA, a franchise, etc. would have to get a third party app writer to build it for them and go through lots of beta testing. etc. I have done demos with performing knee replacement surgery, repairing parts on oil wells, and properly stacking boxes on a pallet. Industries are definitely using this for training, and the NFL will eventually pick it up I am sure. I do believe there is some stuff out there already for QB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm waiting for the Bills to adopt the Dartmouth football robots training method. 

Wow, amazing.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A few friends all own Oculus Quests or Rifts, but I'm leaning towards PS4. Mostly because I already have the PS4 Pro. Almost pulled the trigger on the purchase over the weekend, but I'm still on the fence.

My buddy has the ps VR, but everything Im seeing is leaning more towards Oculus, currently.   Although, the new PS5 is going to drop at the end of the year, and I believe they are working on a whole new vr headset, this could mean a drastic jump in the technology.  Madden in 1st person Vr?  Probably be pretty amazing.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I actually work with FB on their distribution for the enterprise product. It wasn't officially open to distribution until late March/early April. I have a "demo" unit that they gave me. It is a blast for sure, and super wild with how realistic it can be. I don't use it a ton now. You can watch NBA games court side which is super cool. I don't have any other experience with the other brands. 

IMO the consumer products are a bit of a novelty at the moment, and the product is not quite there yet. Probably a few years away. Commercially though, they are becoming more and more common place. The data on it is incredible for stuff like med school, where retention in watching a surgery is super low, I want to say single digits, but using VR med students are able to perform surgeries without assistance at something like 85% retention rate and no cadaver needed. 

• Like (+1) 2