Beef with weather reporting

I watched a report from a Rochester, NY television station.  The guy was all sorts of apologetic over the probability of rain yesterday and today.  Just give the darn forecast and be done with it.  It's 2020 and we know forecasting the weather is still not 100 percent flawless.  Further, that the weather person does not actually control the weather.  Are we so whipped as a nation that we can't handle a rainy day?  Even without the pandemic most of us are seldom outside.  The weather person talks precipitation so you carry an umbrella, rain slicker, whatever, to have when it does rain.  Pretty simple.  If you don't like rain then move to the SW US.

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I watched a report from a Rochester, NY television station.  The guy was all sorts of apologetic over the probability of rain yesterday and today.  Just give the darn forecast and be done with it.  It's 2020 and we know forecasting the weather is still not 100 percent flawless.  Further, that the weather person does not actually control the weather.  Are we so whipped as a nation that we can't handle a rainy day?  Even without the pandemic most of us are seldom outside.  The weather person talks precipitation so you carry an umbrella, rain slicker, whatever, to have when it does rain.  Pretty simple.  If you don't like rain then move to the SW US.

You mad, bro?

• Haha (+1) 3

When the weather comes on, I change the channel. Why is there any weather person on TV? Do you not have a phone? I have two weather apps on my phone, complete with radar. More than enough. I don’t waste my time with them, regardless of what the weather may be. 

Side note: I rarely have time for the slide rule salesmen either. 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You mad, bro?

Only to the point where his groveling made his segment somewhat incomprehensible.  Also, somewhat annoyed as an obvious new guy did not seem to know any city or town besides Rochester.  He needs to spend some time looking at an area map so he can be very fluid in explaining where he sees a thunderstorm.  

Besides inaccuracy, my biggest beef with weather reports on teevee and in apps is the lack of including a dew point forecast. I hate humid weather and want to know when it will be more comfortable again. There are short-term 7-day forecasts for this... just... they never highlight it.

https://weatherstreet.com/states/u-s-dewpoint-temperature-forecast.htm

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

When the weather comes on, I change the channel. Why is there any weather person on TV? Do you not have a phone? I have two weather apps on my phone, complete with radar. More than enough. I don’t waste my time with them, regardless of what the weather may be. 

Side note: I rarely have time for the slide rule salesmen either. 

I don't depend on television weather reporting but I do catch the local news on television.  So sometimes it is just as easy to wade through a 2:25 segment than to flip around and not really see anything before the sports segment.

The Spectrum weather team in Syracuse has the best lake effect snow forecast in the area.  North of the Thruway?  Crossing the Thruway?  Shifting around?  Wide spread or narrow band? etc.  They are pretty good with that stuff.  

3 hours ago, ocemur said:

That's cool and all, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

^ Question asked...

... question answered:

Not all weather people are created equally.

This was our local weather man in Florida. 

• Haha (+1) 1