Bills MVP of decade-PFF

Tyrod wasn’t the MVP of the decade. I will get that out of the way first before my point gets misunderstood.

Tyrod Taylor was (however) the Bills QB that finally broke the drought. This team was a complete joke for very close to 20 years. That in itself is mind blowing. Tyrod was actually pretty good. Even on the Rex teams where the defense was ruined. The guy made a lot of big time plays. Tyrod is not remembered (by Bills fans) in a way I understand. I fully expected that, whichever QB broke the drought, would be glorified for the foreseeable future. I know he wasn’t the only reason it ended but he played a big part in it. The Jags playoff game was bad. And at that time I’ll admit I was ready for a change. Tyrod was Trent Edwards level overprotective of the downfield passing game, but I’m not sure how much of that was coaching. Tyrod was very important to this team. The MVP is not the best player. It’s the guy that was most valuable to a team. Tyrod finally did what none of the other Bills QBs could do. Get over that hump and make the playoffs.

Shady was by far the MVP of the decade and I’d say he was the only legitimately, elite skill position player the Bills have had since Thurman. In that small window (before 2018) Shady was as good as it gets in terms of being a Buffalo Bill. Had he had a little more around him, he could have been an all time great for the franchise.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Most Valuable Bills of the decade per PFF WAR

1. Tyrod Taylor
2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
3. Jairus Byrd
4. Micah Hyde
5. Stevie Johnson

I totally agree with this.  Who would have thought we'd get a 3rd round pick for such a crappy QB???  That, right there, is value.

45 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kyle embodied this team and was a late round pick who assumed an incredible leadership role.  I know it was a tough decade for the Bills until the end when Beane and McD showed up.  This decade is going to be a lot of fun.

Oh and PFF sucks.

Yup. If we have to do this for what was mostly a decade of suck, it’s Kyle. End of discussion.

• Like (+1) 2

Taylor gets crapped on a lot here. Yeah, he's not a good QB. Especially not a good QB now. But he did have a good first season with us. From then it was a downward trajectory. But even with that being the case the fact that he could be ranked on this list as number one I think just shows how craptastic all the other QB's were through that decade. Fitz's Bills career in a lot of ways was similar to Taylor's. Great first year, or first 8 games or so. Then a consistent downward trend after that. 

Fred Jackson has to be on that list for me. 

Honestly guys like White, Hyde and Poyer should all be considered even though they only played three seasons in this decade.

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Misleading wording. It's not really MVP, it's most valuable WAR (wins above replacement)

So it's the guys with the biggest gap between them and the guy they followed. VERY far from an MVP list.

Close, but not quite. It's a measurement of wins above an average player at their position. QBs contribute the most to wins, so if you get above average QB play out of your QB (which apparently PFF believes Tyrod and Fitz provided during their time here), they're almost certainly going to come out on top in this metric.

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Close, but not quite. It's a measurement of wins above an average player at their position. QBs contribute the most to wins, so if you get above average QB play out of your QB (which apparently PFF believes Tyrod and Fitz provided during their time here), they're almost certainly going to come out on top in this metric.

Not sure about Fitz but in 2015, Taylor's first season with us he was 8th overall in QB rating and 10th overall in QBR. He was a good QB that year. Really that team had some talent and should have been the team to break the drought. Even with Rex being a terrible coach it possibly would have happened if Taylor doesn't miss the Jags and Bengals games.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not sure about Fitz but in 2015, Taylor's first season with us he was 8th overall in QB rating and 10th overall in QBR. He was a good QB that year. Really that team had some talent and should have been the team to break the drought. Even with Rex being a terrible coach it possibly would have happened if Taylor doesn't miss the Jags and Bengals games.

Not hating on our current roster at all, I am happy with where we are. But that era was really set up to have some combination of Schwartz/Roman as HC/OC/DC. I’m pretty confident those Bills would have broken the streak. 

• Like (+1) 1

PFF is less than worthless, don’t click on their ? site. They don’t deserve your patronage. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kyle embodied this team and was a late round pick who assumed an incredible leadership role.  I know it was a tough decade for the Bills until the end when Beane and McD showed up.  This decade is going to be a lot of fun.

Oh and PFF sucks.

Kyle was a very good player and great for Buffalo. But he was at the center of some historically bad run defenses.  

10 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Most Valuable Bills of the decade per PFF WAR

1. Tyrod Taylor
2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
3. Jairus Byrd
4. Micah Hyde
5. Stevie Johnson

Another list that is completely ridiculous from PFF.. How is a guy like Kyle Williams not on here?!? 

Their formula and rankings don't correlate to the best NFL players. 

MVP

1. Shady

2. TT

3. Fred Jackson

I honestly can't come up with any more than that.  

Most talented

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Shady

3. White

4. Dareus

5. Mario Williams

6. Kyle Williams

7. Jackson

8. Hughes

9. Stevie Johnson

10. Wood

TT is not even in my top 10 most talented. But he was the perfect QB for a great rushing offense with a great defense. Rex destroyed a top 3 defense and with it ended his coaching career.  All Rex had to do was keep Greg Roman and Jim Schwartz.  That combination of incredible defense with a QB that had the lowest INT percentage in NFL history would have been a force.  

5 hours ago, eball said:

Nobody from the McD era was going to make this list because they were only here for 30% of the decade.

It’s a completely inane discussion to come up with an MVP for a lost decade.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

micah made it 

Not to mention, Fitz was here 30% of the decade. Tyrod 30%. Stevie only started for 4 years.

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Another list that is completely ridiculous from PFF.. How is a guy like Kyle Williams not on here?!? 

Their formula and rankings don't correlate to the best NFL players. 

MVP and best players aren't necessarily the same thing.  He wasn't even the most talented Williams on the DL.  

5 hours ago, eball said:

Nobody from the McD era was going to make this list because they were only here for 30% of the decade.

It’s a completely inane discussion to come up with an MVP for a lost decade.

Yes it is. We had no mvps for the entire decade. Kyle would be the closest.