Interesting Tidbit About What Prompted the Stefon Trade - NFL NOW

17 hours ago, MJS said:

People are reading between the lines way too much. Why can't we just take everyone at their word? Diggs is a great receiver, the Vikings were happy to have him. The Bills wanted him and offered a bunch of draft picks. The Vikings liked the offer and the cap relief it provided and said yes.

End of story. There's doesn't have to be some deep, dark secret as to why the trade happened.

This ^^^

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Either I didn't hear it or I forgot about it quickly. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/stefon-diggs-vikings-saints-nfc-wild-card-helmet-cousins-tantrum

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3/20897444/minnesota-vikings-stefon-diggs-trade-rumors-kirk-cousins-adam-thielen

Here are a couple things that happened with him last season.  For the record, I was still a big supporter of the trade.  Making it was no brainer for the Bills IMO.  Great move.  But my only caveat was that it does carry some risk due to how things went with Diggs and Cousins.  Still, you make that deal.  This stuff was the only reason he was available at all. 

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Either I didn't hear it or I forgot about it quickly. 

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/stefon-diggs-vikings-saints-nfc-wild-card-helmet-cousins-tantrum

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3/20897444/minnesota-vikings-stefon-diggs-trade-rumors-kirk-cousins-adam-thielen

Here are a couple things that happened with him last season.  For the record, I was still a big supporter of the trade.  Making it was no brainer for the Bills IMO.  Great move.  But my only caveat was that it does carry some risk due to how things went with Diggs and Cousins.  Still, you make that deal.  This stuff was the only reason he was available at all. 

Yeah, some kind of friction or conflict is the reason that him and Hopkins were available.

I loved the deal. Diggs is absolutely worth the risk and trade comp and I'm hoping he gets 150 targets a year and everyone wins.

Edited by FireChans

I think the issues were Thielen taking away a lot of targets as well as going to more of a run-oriented game.  I don't think there will be any question he's the #1 WR with the Bills.

At first i was concerned and then the trade occurred. I was thinking "Wow thats a lot to risk Mr. Beanes "
But once i settled down a tad and started reading more? I feel this is a fine acquisition in many ways.
 And i think Diggs is going to have fun wearing a Bills Uni.

So many weapons for Daboll and Josh.

We might start out rough (as many teams will) but when this Offensive Team gels ? Beast. mark it down

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think the issues were Thielen taking away a lot of targets as well as going to more of a run-oriented game.  I don't think there will be any question he's the #1 WR with the Bills.

Almost certainly that was the problem. The question is will the Bills be run oriented in 2020?  I think so. Will Diggs get enough targets? He got 94 last year,  our #1 got 115. I hope he gets enough.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Beane actually said this is what happened. They had tried to trade for him in October but Vikes wouldn’t do it. Then Bills caught wind of Diggs tweets early in FA and thought hey, let’s give it another shot. And then it went down in a matter of hours.

Probably made more sense to trade the first in the offseason since - you knew where it was, and you had an idea where the top 3 WRs were going.  If it required a trade up to get say Lamb - you may have given up more than what they gave up in this trade.

Just now, ALF said:

Allen will need to give Diggs the most targets , Brown should be ok with that, unless Diggs is double teamed. It's a good problem to deal with.

If teams are playing man and bracketing diggs, that means you have beas and brown likely in 1x1 situations, same with knox.  Also if you bracket diggs... there's a likelihood for a lot of space for the RB underneath to make plays.  

The other problem with playing straight man coverage - if you don't spy Allen, he can hurt you with his legs.  If you do spy allen, you create a lot of time for players to uncover.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Probably made more sense to trade the first in the offseason since - you knew where it was, and you had an idea where the top 3 WRs were going.  If it required a trade up to get say Lamb - you may have given up more than what they gave up in this trade.

Lamb went a lot lower than I thought he would.  But even at 17, the Bills would have had to give up their 1st, 3rd and 1st-6th to move there.  That is, assuming Dallas was willing to trade out.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Lamb went a lot lower than I thought he would.  But even at 17, the Bills would have had to give up their 1st, 3rd and 1st-6th to move there.  That is, assuming Dallas was willing to trade out.

Minny looked into trading up to get Lamb, but Atlanta (picking right before Dallas) demanded their first and second.  I’d have done that in a heartbeat for Lamb if we hadn’t traded for Diggs, but there’s no good reason he should’ve fallen that far.  He was only still on the board because the Raiders were stupid enough to take Ruggs at 12 over every other WR in the draft.  SMDH

On 5/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, MJS said:

People are reading between the lines way too much. Why can't we just take everyone at their word? Diggs is a great receiver, the Vikings were happy to have him. The Bills wanted him and offered a bunch of draft picks. The Vikings liked the offer and the cap relief it provided and said yes.

End of story. There's doesn't have to be some deep, dark secret as to why the trade happened.

Maybe, and I think in these football “insiders’” rush to get The Story, a great deal of suppositions and assumptions can be made. But I also think it’s more than a little naive to suggest multi-million dollar decisions aren’t made without some pretty complex circumstances. 

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Minny looked into trading up to get Lamb, but Atlanta (picking right before Dallas) demanded their first and second.  I’d have done that in a heartbeat for Lamb if we hadn’t traded for Diggs, but there’s no good reason he should’ve fallen that far.  He was only still on the board because the Raiders were stupid enough to take Ruggs at 12 over every other WR in the draft.  SMDH

Eh, a 1st and 2nd versus what they gave up for Diggs...I'm taking Diggs.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Eh, a 1st and 2nd versus what they gave up for Diggs...I'm taking Diggs.

Diggs for a one and change plus his contract versus Lamb for a one and two on a rookie deal.  It’s debatable depending on a team’s circumstances, but I prefer the Diggs trade.  It isn’t the picks involved, it’s the certainty of getting a top end WR on day 1 that matters to me.  There’s risk and development time with Lamb and I’ll happily take on the additional contract dollars for the immediacy and certainty.  

Still, it wasn’t really a choice between the two since the decision on Diggs had to be made long before the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/30/2020 at 12:09 PM, FireChans said:

You didn’t hear anything bad about Diggs last season? There’s a reason he was bandied about as a trade possibility in the season. Hopkins was not.

Diggs was getting fined and tweeting cryptic stuff early last year. That’s why we inquired in the first place.

I had misgivings at and around the age of 26.

Can't say I was ever bandied about, though. 

On 5/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, BarleyNY said:

I could always be wrong, I could always be disappointed too.  But from what I've seen so far, either Allen or Daboll or McDermott (or all 3) seem to handle player frustrations a lot better.  There was that game where Beasley was frustrated and threw his helmet and Allen was asked about it and kind of made it into a positive thing - said stuff like "he's a competitor, he wants the ball, he wants to win, I'm the same way". 

I actually like Kirk Cousins and think more of him than a lot of folks here, but he does seem somewhat aloof and perhaps un-relatable to me.  He got the Redskins to give him his own office, for example.   Even though Allen is young, I think it's possible he may have better people and relationship building skills than Cousins does.  I didn't see Beasley throw his helmet the rest of the year even though there were times when he was screamingly wide open and Allen didn't throw his way.  Judging by stuff he was seen to do (like walk over and hug Allen after the tough Ravens loss) and said on his "17 weeks uninterrupted" podcast, they seem to have built a pretty solid relationship.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:42 AM, eball said:

Save your breath, Yolo.  There is a contingent who, for some reason, look for the possible negative consequences of everything the Bills do, waiting to pounce.  I don’t know how they enjoy being fans but to each his own.

This makes a large degree of sense. I mean, why would someone who has been a Bills fan for 10, 20, or 30 years have the nerve to suspect that the Bills would ever make a dumb move?

I mean really, all of their trades have been perfect deals that made this team a winner, except for maybe 1 or 2. Every draft has been great too!

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This makes a large degree of sense. I mean, why would someone who has been a Bills fan for 10, 20, or 30 years have the nerve to suspect that the Bills would ever make a dumb move?

I mean really, all of their trades have been perfect deals that made this team a winner, except for maybe 1 or 2. Every draft has been great too!

Sorry Bill, you've missed the point.  If you want to keep dwelling in the past and fearing the future, be my guest.