Interesting Tidbit About What Prompted the Stefon Trade - NFL NOW

People are reading between the lines way too much. Why can't we just take everyone at their word? Diggs is a great receiver, the Vikings were happy to have him. The Bills wanted him and offered a bunch of draft picks. The Vikings liked the offer and the cap relief it provided and said yes.

End of story. There's doesn't have to be some deep, dark secret as to why the trade happened.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

People are reading between the lines way too much. Why can't we just take everyone at their word? Diggs is a great receiver, the Vikings were happy to have him. The Bills wanted him and offered a bunch of draft picks. The Vikings liked the offer and the cap relief it provided and said yes.

End of story. There's doesn't have to be some deep, dark secret as to why the trade happened.

meh. If you are thrilled with a elite receiver and great teammate on a team friendly deal, you probably don’t take a pick in the 20s for him.

The dude has some history and had some baggage and it’s ok to acknowledge that too without it being a deep dark secret being unearthed. Frankly, even in this story it’s prompted

by some friction, despite the wed love to have him tone today 

• Like (+1) 5

Beane actually said this is what happened. They had tried to trade for him in October but Vikes wouldn’t do it. Then Bills caught wind of Diggs tweets early in FA and thought hey, let’s give it another shot. And then it went down in a matter of hours.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There was discord on both sides. Diggs wanted out, they accommodated when Buffalo gave a nice haul of picks.

Like many have pointed out, its actually pretty accurate to what happened, based on Beane's comments, im not sure why anyone would think it's conjecture.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane actually said this is what happened. They had tried to trade for him in October but Vikes wouldn’t do it. Then Bills caught wind of Diggs tweets early in FA and thought hey, let’s give it another shot. And then it went down in a matter of hours.

Save your breath, Yolo.  There is a contingent who, for some reason, look for the possible negative consequences of everything the Bills do, waiting to pounce.  I don’t know how they enjoy being fans but to each his own.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not worried about the deal as he was worth it, and this locker room won’t tolerate antics.  He’ll be targeted a lot, and thus Brown and Beasley will not be able to get double teamed.  The other part is between Singletary and Moss, opposing defenses will have difficulty covering everyone.  It’s going to be a fun year even without many if not any fans in the seats.

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

meh. If you are thrilled with a elite receiver and great teammate on a team friendly deal, you probably don’t take a pick in the 20s for him.

The dude has some history and had some baggage and it’s ok to acknowledge that too without it being a deep dark secret being unearthed. Frankly, even in this story it’s prompted

by some friction, despite the wed love to have him tone today 

Hopkins was traded for even less.  Like Diggs, never heard much bad (and the bad I heard wasn't all that bad) about him until the trade went down.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean right below it is some mook "Diggs is gonna regret leaving"

I think its gonna be more like Cousins is gonna miss him......

Vikings fans aren’t particularly educated about this team. Another comment made light of our training facilities being old and rundown. ?‍♂️  

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Diggs is a good guy. I don't think he is anything like the diva sometimes portrayed by some. 

I’m sure there a little fire causing the smoke. That said, a change of scenery could easily fix the issues. Particularly if he shows out and the fans get behind him. Very few fanbases can be as vocal and supportive as Bills Mafia. I think he’ll probably benefit from playing with Allen too, as I can’t recall the Vikings having a fiery on field competitor at QB during Diggs tenure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Vikings fans aren’t particularly educated about this team. Another comment made light of our training facilities being old and rundown. ?‍♂️  

I’m sure there a little fire causing the smoke. That said, a change of scenery could easily fix the issues. Particularly if he shows out and the fans get behind him. Very few fanbases can be as vocal and supportive as Bills Mafia. I think he’ll probably benefit from playing with Allen too, as I can’t recall the Vikings having a fiery on field competitor at QB during Diggs tenure. 

Yep, Allen is a gunslinger who’s willing to take chances. I think he’s the type of QB who realizes you get the ball to your playmakers, even if they are covered. I don’t see a TO situation where you have a guy like Trent Edwards who was afraid to force the ball to his playmaker. Diggs should get his chances, personally I’m more concerned with Daboll making a game plan that utilizes all this talent, as opposed to Allen not getting them ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Hopkins was traded for even less.  Like Diggs, never heard much bad (and the bad I heard wasn't all that bad) about him until the trade went down.

You didn’t hear anything bad about Diggs last season? There’s a reason he was bandied about as a trade possibility in the season. Hopkins was not.

Diggs was getting fined and tweeting cryptic stuff early last year. That’s why we inquired in the first place.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Diggs is a good guy. I don't think he is anything like the diva sometimes portrayed by some. 

Some coaches are too rigid to tolerate lively personalities who don't always fully embrace the company line. There was some volatile/petulant and selfish behavior on the player's part. But he wasn't a bad guy or a poisonous influence in the locker room. Coaches like Zimmer have to realize that the Marine drill sergeant approach to coaching players doesn't work in the long run in this era. The job of a coach is to manage a wide array of personalities as it is designing schemes for the offense or defense.

Diggs was a talented and passionate player who also was one of the hardest working players on the team. Without question there were times when he was a challenge to deal with. When you make the room small it shouldn't be surprising that some people want to escape from that suffocating room. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You didn’t hear anything bad about Diggs last season? There’s a reason he was bandied about as a trade possibility in the season. Hopkins was not.

Diggs was getting fined and tweeting cryptic stuff early last year. That’s why we inquired in the first place.

Either I didn't hear it or I forgot about it quickly.