EVs/Tesla: request feedback

Mr Info

Hi all,

I am interested if feedback on Electronic Vehicles and will be particular to Tesla since they seem to be ahead of other competitors. 

My wife and I took a Model 3 for an hour spin from a local dealer and we really enjoyed it. Good pickup and a heavy, solid vehicle. We even placed it in semi-autonomous mode and mapped a destination and watched as it slowed down when a car veered in front of us, changed lanes, and then pulled off the exit but it prompted me to turn the signal on. Keeping hands on the wheel is necessary or it gets disengaged.

I enjoy driving and have a 6 speed manual that is great to drive when there is no traffic. But I would like to swap out an internal combustion car for another vehicle and strongly considering Tesla. I want a car that will be dependable for a long time. The long-range covers nearly the distance I would like. There are plenty of charging stations around and the new V3 Superchargers are now ramping up for deployment. These will add 75 miles in 5 mins so a 15 min stop will add 200 miles. I live in VA but have Bills season tickets and my parents and sisters live in WNY. I want to autonomously drive there when it is available. Though I enjoy driving sometimes, there are other things I would rather be doing like having a cocktail and relaxing. Maybe it's another 1-2 yrs but I welcome the change.

Neat tool; Enter your Tesla vehicle and starting and ending points and it will tell you where to stop to charge and for how long. I have used Buffalo for this and shows a stop after 3-4 hours so one stop for 30 mins on the way is fine for bio brake, munchies and leg stretch.

https://www.tesla.com/trips

Teslas are expensive but there is no scheduled maintenance as no belts, oil. spark plugs, etc. so some cost savings there. The car has a 4 yr 120k warranty but there are some Tesla drive trains with a million miles so not worried about warranty that much. With regenerative braking, the brake pads should be good for 100-150k miles so additional savings there. Petrol prices are low now but they will rise again and the cost/mile should be much less with electricity instead of gas. An issue is battery wear. I was considering waiting for Tesla's lithium-iron-phosphate battery technology but that may be 2-3 years away. That is their million-mile battery. It appears these batteries will be less expensive to manufacture so swap my batteries out in 5-7 years for what should be a reasonable cost. More recent news on Tesla batteries here: https://www.eenews.net/stories/1063234625

If I do this, I may double-up and add solar and Tesla's Powerwall for my house which would also assist in charging the vehicle (using solar for charge rather than Powerwall). This is a separate topic though. Btw - I do not own Tesla stock but wish I did.

Any Tesla or other EV owners with input? Lots of smart people on this board with good insight so welcome your feedback.  Thanks

Edited by Mr Info

I bought an S100D back in 2017 with full self driving and autopilot.  Just had the hardware upgraded yesterday to allow for FSD when it's ready.  I love the car and plan on keeping it until I run it into the ground.  I figure by the time I need a new battery they'll be cheap and hopefully solid state, meaning instant charging.

If you're looking full EV, Tesla is the way to go.  They've had a big head start one everyone else and no one still can touch them.

My friend owns a Tesla Model S. It's by far the most well-built, fastest vehicle I've ever driven. I'm a car person and it's scary how quick it is. 

She lets me drive and charge it every once in awhile provided I hand-wash it. Even trade.

She follows my progress and route on her phone. 

If you REALLY try to drive carefully, you can avoid braking completely and charge up all day while still moving forward. It's incredible.

We rented a 3 in Denver last August when out at Red Rocks and it's just a baby S.........still awesome, but smaller and a tick less quick. 

I'd buy a Tesla without blinking.

Edited by Seasons1992

Honestly, there's no right or wrong regarding the vehicle you buy. All vehicles will run fine as long as you maintain them and don't abuse them.

I always tell people three things if there are looking for a motor vehicle:

1. Motor vehicles never appreciate in value. Try to buy "slightly used" instead of new.

2. Ask a mechanic about maintenance. They know.

3. If you plan to keep a vehicle for a long time, buy one that does not have a lot of electronic bells and whistles. As the car gets older, those things fail first (and cost a small fortune to replace).

@Mr Info, can hook ya up with a friend who has had the 3 for about a year I think. Fairly certain she is very pleased. I am with you, can't wait for truly autonomous driving.

Tesla is not a car with a computer, it is really just an app with wheels..freaking awesome.

In terms of the stock, i thought they were never gunna make..sure as hell glad I did not short it!

Also, this is not the exact presentaion i dont think, but this guy talks a ton about solar, Autonomous cars etc..think you would enjoy it

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Also, this is not the exact presentaion i dont think, but this guy talks a ton about solar, Autonomous cars etc..think you would enjoy it

Thx for this.

I did not include it in my original post as it was vehicle based but this is the year for a solar project as federal tax incentives are 26%. It will be 22% next year & then gone.

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

1. Motor vehicles never appreciate in value. Try to buy "slightly used" instead of new.

Ordinarily, this is true but still TBD with FSD (full self driving) and V2G (vehicle to grid: credit to your energy provider...present in the Tesla & Powerwall API). FSD price will increase over time as Musk has already stated. In addition, there will be opportunities to generate income from an FSD vehicle when not in use.

Edited by Mr Info

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Honestly, there's no right or wrong regarding the vehicle you buy. All vehicles will run fine as long as you maintain them and don't abuse them.

I always tell people three things if there are looking for a motor vehicle:

2. Ask a mechanic about maintenance. They know.

3. If you plan to keep a vehicle for a long time, buy one that does not have a lot of electronic bells and whistles. As the car gets older, those things fail first (and cost a small fortune to replace).

Gee... So... Don't  buy an EV and "drive it to the ground" because "it will put you into  the ground."

Sound  advice:

The door  handles  wouldn't  open.

But we're all  filthy rich doctor's  and lawyers  and can  afford cars  more expensive than our houses. Maintenance  ain't  a problem.