Matt Judon: Interesting Development in Negotiations

13 hours ago, MJS said:

That should be the new standard. If you play both positions you should take the average of both.

Can we do this with QB's too? 

Some run the football, some go out for passes... can we average their cost with those positions??? ?

52 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Can we do this with QB's too? 

Some run the football, some go out for passes... can we average their cost with those positions??? ?

Running the football is part of the position and pretty much always has been. Some just do it more than others.

Going out for passes, though, is pretty rare.

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly, Mike. On the flip side, I was pretty confident Leveon Bell was making a mistake with his holdout in Pittsburgh. As a RB and dealing with the Steelers, it seemed he was already getting the best offer possible. And sure enough, a year later, he took less money to end up with a crappy organization.

Doc, I was thinking the same thing.  Bell gave up a $14.5 mil contract to lose that for a year and then only took $13.5 mil. On a crappy team with a buffoon for a coach, and didn’t even want him.Serves him and AB right.  For such a storied franchise in the Steelers, they produced a couple of knuckleheads.

11 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think you should get the higher tag.  

I’d take it further and say it shouldn’t be broken out by position.  If a team doesn’t value a certain position, then someone who plays that position can’t be a franchise player.  If he’s the one guy your franchise can’t do without, he should be the highest paid player on the team.

13 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You think its just all about the money?  You don't think anyone plays for the love of the game anymore?  The competitiveness?  Being a warrior?  

Sure everyone wants to make a good living.  But these guys will still be relatively young when they are done playing.  And can actually go do something else.  By your user name, you must be pretty young.  Do you think a guy like Chris Spielman played football solely for the money?   Do you think the great Edmonton Oiler teams of the 80's played for the money?  They played because they loved hockey and playing the game they love for the best team in the world.  When you are in your 20's and early 30's, I could not think of anything better to be doing w one's life.  Ya Digg?  LOL

Of course they all love playing the game, they don't get to that level if they don't.  By your logic, should Mahomes not get the money that is coming his way?  Should Tre White just be happy to get any offer from the Bills?  Judging by your user name, you think that the highest paid guys in the league are making $2-$3 million a year.  Do you really think that if the money that's out there now was available back for those guys that they wouldn't be going for the highest amount possible?  You think Wayne Gretzky would've take less "for the love of the game?"  Just like now, those guys back then weren't just "noble warriors" who would've played the game for free.  Yes they love the game, but they also want to get paid.  You can be passionate about something AND get paid top dollar of what the market dictates, those things aren't mutually exclusive  

They all want to win, but they all also want to get paid, bottom line.  The best GMs know how to work the cap so their best players get paid and the team can still be competitive.  Buffalo isn't used to having superstar contracts so we aren't used to having to pay multiple guys large contracts.   

Beane’s strategy to use free agency for need, but not go after the big splash outside of Morse is a good tactic, and although factors in the draft, they also seem to pick up BPA in a handful of positions so they balance the two.  This is a long term sustainable strategy, as well as extending those they value.  It was a good move on from Lawson and Phillips as they weren’t worth what they were paid, and we picked up most likely upgrades on short contracts.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:57 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Didn't this happen with Jimmy Graham years ago?

I think so. I know that it happened once before with the Ravens too.  I think it was Suggs who was playing DE and OLB.  He got the average of the two positions in the end.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think you should get the higher tag.  

They could calculate it based on what percentage of the time a player plays which position.  Over 75% of time at one position, that’s what you get.  Closer than that to even and you get the 50/50 split.

I don’t know how they’re going to differentiate between a slot WR and a split TE other than to make that a position in and of itself.

Maybe base it on the percentage of time a player spends at a position?  Spend 65% of the time at DE versus LB?  Get 65% of DE tag and 35% of LB tag.

Edited by Doc

Why should it be based on positions at all?  If you’re a “franchise player” ie. a player the franchise can’t do without, then you should be the highest paid player on the team.  How can an organization call someone their franchise player and then say he’s not worth as much due to the position he plays?  It makes no sense.  If an organization doesn’t value Tight Ends, then don’t name a Tight End as the franchise player.  Otherwise, it’s really just a license to screw one player on your team each year.