The Jets have road graders for OL. How are the Bills against a power run game?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Pretty sure they struck out on most of their OL targets in FA so they settled for 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Becton is a ginormous man though who also has plus athleticism for a guy his size. Not worried about the Jets or Le'Veon Bell tbh though. 

Yep. They were all over Conklin apparently , and instead got a rotational backup from Seattle 

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

OG Greg Van Roten,

This much we know: The Jets coveted Van Roten from the start of free agency. Let's not get carried away, though: He's a journeyman player (four NFL teams, one CFL team) who didn't break through as a starter until 2018. The 6-foot-3, 303-pounder is tough and smart (only three accepted penalties in 2018-19), but he's not a difference-maker. It also should be mentioned that he missed the final five games with a dislocated toe.

Center Connor McGovern,

McGovern didn't come cheaply -- a reported $18 million in guarantees. If he bombs or gets hurt, they can't cut him for two years, depending on how the deal is structured. You also have to wonder why the Broncos didn't make a stronger effort to re-sign him. He's a tough player with weight-room strength, but he doesn't always play to that strength. He can get wobbly at times. But for the most part, this is a safe investment. The Jets hope he can galvanize their O-line.

OT George Fant, 

What's the risk: Ideally, you want a sure thing to protect your franchise quarterback -- and Fant isn't a sure thing.

Alex Lewis OG,

Whats the risk: Plagued by injuries throughout his career, Lewis never has played a full season. He started 12 straight games last season before going on IR for the final game with an ankle injury. After a strong start, his performance wavered at times because of wear and tear on his body. So, yes, durability is a concern, but it's mitigated by the size of the contract. The Jets didn't break the bank. Lewis also must cut down on his penalties; he had six, too many for an interior lineman.

Center Josh Andrews, 

What's the risk: None, at least not from a financial standpoint. The knock on Andrews is that he hasn't played a lot of football. He came into the NFL as an undrafted player in 2014 and has played 98 offensive snaps in his career, mostly at center. He was on the Eagles' practice squad in 2018. Jets GM Joe Douglas was an Eagles executive at the time, so he's familiar with Andrews. He appeared in six games (57 snaps) for the Colts last season. Fun fact: He has no penalties in his career, albeit a very small sample size.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82501/new-york-jets-2020-nfl-free-agent-signings-ot-george-fant-a-big-gamble

opps forgot to link :D

I don't know If i'd categorize the NY jets O line as road graders. 

Nice breakdown brother.  As long as Gase is the head coach, I’m not worried about the Jets.  He didn’t even run an O Line to the strengths of Bell.  Bell is a patient runner that fit perfect for how the Steelers ran their line.  Gase wasn’t happy with the Bell acquisition, and was stubborn trying to change him.  That doesn’t work.  I’d bet a whole $ we sweep them this year.

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Road Graders? With the exception of Becton the Jets oline is all smaller/athletic guys who are considered better pass blockers than run blockers. I think most Jets fans are hoping this unit can improve from awful to average. We aren’t talking about the Hogs here. 

Quiet you. There's hands to be wrung.

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Le’Veon Bell running behind a huge OL is a intimidating concept. Are the Bills heavy enough up front? Having Josh Allen racking up fast points would most definitely offset some of that grind it out philosophy. Scoring 17+ points in the first quarter and a half would also allow us to run behind our young tandem of Singletary and Moss. Bottom line is the Bills’ offense needs to control the tempo of the game, especially against a team like the Jets are gathering.

Not sure I agree with this at all, but even if they end up being Road Graders - Bell is not that type of back.  He is a patient, slide, and quick acceleration through a gap Style of RB - which typically doesn’t work well with big guys getting straight push.

Plus you have a head coach in Gase that is more interested in passing than running - so the question really is how good are they at pass protection.  Gase does not utilize RBs to their strength- see Miami previously and last year with the Jets - so this is lower on my “concern” meter.

• Like (+1) 1

Becton is a monster. He will help. Bell will shake off the rust from last year. The Jets are building big in the trenches. They will not be a pushover and automatic W. I think the Bills will handle them but they have to play a solid game. No dumb turnovers. No shanked punts, missed FG's, ill-timed penalties. Nothing from the past "Billsy" games like Cleveland last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Perhaps this should go into another thread, but there is some reason to believe the AFC East is about to enter an era of intense competition and parity.

Bills:  solid management and coaching and most talented team in the division

Jets:  improved front office, questionable coach, talent at QB

Fish:  appears to be much improved front office, coach with good potential, young QB projected to be good

Pats***:  still have Belichick

The key here is that there might be three really good QBs in the division.  What we as Bills fans have to hope is that our guys (Beane and McD) are just that much better than the other guys.

• Like (+1) 2

Their OL will be improved. Joe Douglas had a good offseason for them but the lack of practice time and getting the reps in puts their OL at a disadvantage early in the year. The Bills have an advantage over a lot teams in that this is year 4 of McDermott. Same OC and DC so the players are familiar with the schemes and systems and how McDermott wants things done. Big advantage with this not being a normal offseason. Teams with new coaches or a high turnover in player personnel will have a tougher time getting on the same page this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

OG Greg Van Roten,

This much we know: The Jets coveted Van Roten from the start of free agency. Let's not get carried away, though: He's a journeyman player (four NFL teams, one CFL team) who didn't break through as a starter until 2018. The 6-foot-3, 303-pounder is tough and smart (only three accepted penalties in 2018-19), but he's not a difference-maker. It also should be mentioned that he missed the final five games with a dislocated toe.

Center Connor McGovern,

McGovern didn't come cheaply -- a reported $18 million in guarantees. If he bombs or gets hurt, they can't cut him for two years, depending on how the deal is structured. You also have to wonder why the Broncos didn't make a stronger effort to re-sign him. He's a tough player with weight-room strength, but he doesn't always play to that strength. He can get wobbly at times. But for the most part, this is a safe investment. The Jets hope he can galvanize their O-line.

OT George Fant, 

What's the risk: Ideally, you want a sure thing to protect your franchise quarterback -- and Fant isn't a sure thing.

Alex Lewis OG,

Whats the risk: Plagued by injuries throughout his career, Lewis never has played a full season. He started 12 straight games last season before going on IR for the final game with an ankle injury. After a strong start, his performance wavered at times because of wear and tear on his body. So, yes, durability is a concern, but it's mitigated by the size of the contract. The Jets didn't break the bank. Lewis also must cut down on his penalties; he had six, too many for an interior lineman.

Center Josh Andrews, 

What's the risk: None, at least not from a financial standpoint. The knock on Andrews is that he hasn't played a lot of football. He came into the NFL as an undrafted player in 2014 and has played 98 offensive snaps in his career, mostly at center. He was on the Eagles' practice squad in 2018. Jets GM Joe Douglas was an Eagles executive at the time, so he's familiar with Andrews. He appeared in six games (57 snaps) for the Colts last season. Fun fact: He has no penalties in his career, albeit a very small sample size.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82501/new-york-jets-2020-nfl-free-agent-signings-ot-george-fant-a-big-gamble

I know how PFF is discounted, but they had a really good point about the Jets OL.  That they’re basically banking on five coin flips to come together.  Every single starter has a question mark that could turn out badly and building an OL like that is way too risky.  You can have 4 solid or better players and risk that flip on one and you should be fine.  Or even two, but that’s really pushing it  All five is a recipe for disaster. 

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

And also Jim Kelly was the 3rd OT QB taken. Which shows he wasn't rated that highly by other teams who had O line QB needs and passed on him

I've edited your comment for clarity...

10 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Is Bell even good anymore? Looks like he collected his check and is content.

He had zero runs over 20 yards last year. Adam Gase is the coach. I am not worried about the Jets

26 minutes ago, RVJ said:

I think its a reach to call Darnold a bad QB.

I think its a reach to call him good. Hes widely inconsistent 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

OG Greg Van Roten,

Center Connor McGovern,

OT George Fant, 

Alex Lewis OG,

Center Josh Andrews, 

You forgot about their most exciting player the rookie tackle.

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Scoring 17+ points in the first quarter and a half would also allow us to run behind our young tandem of Singletary and Moss. 

I guess we will just have to score 17 in the the 4th quarter again. 

12 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure the Jets are the team to worry about. They aren't that good. They aren't as bad as many make them out to be, of course, but they certainly aren't good. And I would not expect their oline to be a significant problem.

Agree. I worry about our run defense in general against any team. If theirs a weakness overall in our defense it is definitely our run defense. New England knows this better than any team.

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Le’Veon Bell running behind a huge OL is a intimidating concept. Are the Bills heavy enough up front? Having Josh Allen racking up fast points would most definitely offset some of that grind it out philosophy. Scoring 17+ points in the first quarter and a half would also allow us to run behind our young tandem of Singletary and Moss. Bottom line is the Bills’ offense needs to control the tempo of the game, especially against a team like the Jets are gathering.

There is a simple answer to your question, although it's easier to say than to do. 

McDermott wants his team to be able to do what the Patriots try to do, and that is to be able to play any style.   They want to be able to run, to pass, and to be balanced.   They want to be able to stop the run, stop the pass, and stop balanced attacks.   

McBeane's approach to roster building in order to play that way is to get guys who might be a little undersized against some teams, but to counter that with strength, toughness, and quickness.  I think, for example, that the Shaq Lawson/AJ Epenesa defensive end model is key to how McDermott wants to play.  Big enough to hold their ground if not to overpower anyone, and quick enough to still be able to defend wide and get pressure in the pass rush.   All-round players.  The Bills gave up a little more than 100 yards a game playing that way last season, and got really gashed in the run game only once, by the Eagles.  

Yes, you say, but if the Jets come out pounding the ball on the ground, they're going to wear out the Bills defense and dominate late in the game.   Well, that's why McDermott's approach is to go eight deep on the defensive line.  

I can't get too worried about your scenario.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He had zero runs over 20 yards last year. Adam Gase is the coach. I am not worried about the Jets

I think its a reach to call him good. Hes widely inconsistent 

As much as I love to pile on the Jests, especially living in NJ, I will not underestimate any divisional game.

It's way too important to win at least 4 division games and these teams are built to beat each other.

Yes, the Jets will suck, but they will sure as ***** give it their best effort against our Bills.

Not worried at all, just not taking it easy against a rival.