The Jets have road graders for OL. How are the Bills against a power run game?

Le’Veon Bell running behind a huge OL is a intimidating concept. Are the Bills heavy enough up front? Having Josh Allen racking up fast points would most definitely offset some of that grind it out philosophy. Scoring 17+ points in the first quarter and a half would also allow us to run behind our young tandem of Singletary and Moss. Bottom line is the Bills’ offense needs to control the tempo of the game, especially against a team like the Jets are gathering.

• Haha (+1) 3

I'm not sure the Jets are the team to worry about. They aren't that good. They aren't as bad as many make them out to be, of course, but they certainly aren't good. And I would not expect their oline to be a significant problem.

Edited by MJS

I don’t know if the Jets are building a strong line or not, but I can see the Bills - Jets games to be critical and set the tone dominating the division.  The Kelly era Bills dominated the division.  We need the same from the Allen Era Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Le’Veon Bell running behind a huge OL is a intimidating concept. Are the Bills heavy enough up front? Having Josh Allen racking up fast points would most definitely offset some of that grind it out philosophy. Scoring 17+ points in the first quarter and a half would also allow us to run behind our young tandem of Singletary and Moss. Bottom line is the Bills’ offense needs to control the tempo of the game, especially against a team like the Jets are gathering.

OG Greg Van Roten,

This much we know: The Jets coveted Van Roten from the start of free agency. Let's not get carried away, though: He's a journeyman player (four NFL teams, one CFL team) who didn't break through as a starter until 2018. The 6-foot-3, 303-pounder is tough and smart (only three accepted penalties in 2018-19), but he's not a difference-maker. It also should be mentioned that he missed the final five games with a dislocated toe.

Center Connor McGovern,

McGovern didn't come cheaply -- a reported $18 million in guarantees. If he bombs or gets hurt, they can't cut him for two years, depending on how the deal is structured. You also have to wonder why the Broncos didn't make a stronger effort to re-sign him. He's a tough player with weight-room strength, but he doesn't always play to that strength. He can get wobbly at times. But for the most part, this is a safe investment. The Jets hope he can galvanize their O-line.

OT George Fant, 

What's the risk: Ideally, you want a sure thing to protect your franchise quarterback -- and Fant isn't a sure thing.

Alex Lewis OG,

Whats the risk: Plagued by injuries throughout his career, Lewis never has played a full season. He started 12 straight games last season before going on IR for the final game with an ankle injury. After a strong start, his performance wavered at times because of wear and tear on his body. So, yes, durability is a concern, but it's mitigated by the size of the contract. The Jets didn't break the bank. Lewis also must cut down on his penalties; he had six, too many for an interior lineman.

Center Josh Andrews, 

What's the risk: None, at least not from a financial standpoint. The knock on Andrews is that he hasn't played a lot of football. He came into the NFL as an undrafted player in 2014 and has played 98 offensive snaps in his career, mostly at center. He was on the Eagles' practice squad in 2018. Jets GM Joe Douglas was an Eagles executive at the time, so he's familiar with Andrews. He appeared in six games (57 snaps) for the Colts last season. Fun fact: He has no penalties in his career, albeit a very small sample size.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82501/new-york-jets-2020-nfl-free-agent-signings-ot-george-fant-a-big-gamble

opps forgot to link :D

I don't know If i'd categorize the NY jets O line as road graders. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 2

Road Graders? With the exception of Becton the Jets oline is all smaller/athletic guys who are considered better pass blockers than run blockers. I think most Jets fans are hoping this unit can improve from awful to average. We aren’t talking about the Hogs here. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

OG Greg Van Roten,

This much we know: The Jets coveted Van Roten from the start of free agency. Let's not get carried away, though: He's a journeyman player (four NFL teams, one CFL team) who didn't break through as a starter until 2018. The 6-foot-3, 303-pounder is tough and smart (only three accepted penalties in 2018-19), but he's not a difference-maker. It also should be mentioned that he missed the final five games with a dislocated toe.

Center Connor McGovern,

McGovern didn't come cheaply -- a reported $18 million in guarantees. If he bombs or gets hurt, they can't cut him for two years, depending on how the deal is structured. You also have to wonder why the Broncos didn't make a stronger effort to re-sign him. He's a tough player with weight-room strength, but he doesn't always play to that strength. He can get wobbly at times. But for the most part, this is a safe investment. The Jets hope he can galvanize their O-line.

OT George Fant, 

What's the risk: Ideally, you want a sure thing to protect your franchise quarterback -- and Fant isn't a sure thing.

Alex Lewis OG,

Whats the risk: Plagued by injuries throughout his career, Lewis never has played a full season. He started 12 straight games last season before going on IR for the final game with an ankle injury. After a strong start, his performance wavered at times because of wear and tear on his body. So, yes, durability is a concern, but it's mitigated by the size of the contract. The Jets didn't break the bank. Lewis also must cut down on his penalties; he had six, too many for an interior lineman.

Center Josh Andrews, 

What's the risk: None, at least not from a financial standpoint. The knock on Andrews is that he hasn't played a lot of football. He came into the NFL as an undrafted player in 2014 and has played 98 offensive snaps in his career, mostly at center. He was on the Eagles' practice squad in 2018. Jets GM Joe Douglas was an Eagles executive at the time, so he's familiar with Andrews. He appeared in six games (57 snaps) for the Colts last season. Fun fact: He has no penalties in his career, albeit a very small sample size.

I don't know If i'd categorize the NY jets O line as road graders. 

Their #1 pick Becton will start at one of the OT positions. He's a mountain...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TPS said:

We need to pitch in and sign him up for pizza and wings of the day club. A tub of ice cream for dessert, and I’m fleeing better.

:)

Not sure that stellar group or road graders you speak of will be a tight knit group come the second week of September. I think a huge plus for the Bills this year is the continuity on both sides of the ball. If we struggle with the Jets at home for the home opener there’s going to be a lot of disappointed people this season. ?

I think between the Jets and Miami one is going to compete with us for the division.  I think it will be Miami with the Jets imploding.  

Also, Bell needs a specific type of OL.  He had a consistent and great OL when successful in Pitt.   He does not have that even now in NJ.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 hours ago, TPS said:

1st Round, No. 11 overall | Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

Instant grade:  B-plus

Analysis:  Of the top four offensive tackles, Becton was the largest at 6-foot-7, 364 pounds. He will have to refine his pass protection technique, but boy will he push around ends and linebackers in the run game at left tackle.

Yowsa !! 6'7'' 364 I guess he is a mountain! 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/04/23/new-york-jets-nfl-draft-picks-tracker-2020/5159502002/

image.jpeg.a675426a530dbb0717ed2842a6d172dd.jpeg

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Road Graders? With the exception of Becton the Jets oline is all smaller/athletic guys who are considered better pass blockers than run blockers. I think most Jets fans are hoping this unit can improve from awful to average. We aren’t talking about the Hogs here. 

My thoughts exactly. Probably still a bottom 10 OL... what a joke of a thread

38 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

And also the 3rd OT taken. Which shows he wasn't rated that highly by other teams who had O line needs and passed on him

I think his ceiling is Langston Walker... and being a rookie without minicamp. Should be a field day if he is a day 1 starter. 

Pretty sure they struck out on most of their OL targets in FA so they settled for 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Becton is a ginormous man though who also has plus athleticism for a guy his size. Not worried about the Jets or Le'Veon Bell tbh though. 

• Like (+1) 1