Riveron “out” - Good News (Sorry - Still in NFL office as a game day official)

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that seems like quite a career change for Fewell - since like the article says, he has never been an official

Not really.  His new role is to be liaison with coaching stafls around the league.   That should be right up his alley...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/28/perry-fewell-walt-anderson-join-nfl-officiating-department/

"Fewell will oversee the day-to-day operations of the officiating department, including outreach to the league’s head coaches and General Managers, compliance with the NFL and NFL Referees Association Collective Bargaining Agreement. He also will serve as a liaison to the NCAA on officiating-related matters."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Riveron was not good at his job but I am a bit surprised they gave him the axe.  It means they made a mistake in selecting him.

He’s not fired (unfortunately.) it’s being characterized as a demotion by the media but he’s still listed as a “VP - Officiating.”

Thad’s tweet is misleading because Thad’s kinda horrible.

28 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s not fired (unfortunately.) it’s being characterized as a demotion by the media but he’s still listed as a “VP - Officiating.”

Thad’s tweet is misleading because Thad’s kinda horrible.

Yeah - sort of seeing that now.  Adjusting the heading to make more clear.  

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This is not aimed at you obviously, it just begs this comment. 

Be that as it is, why are they so god awful bad at actual game calls?  It is as if they are not required to study, and know the rules and how they are intended to be implemented.  These guys give the impression that they are winging it on game day.  Any testing of their knowledge and implementation skills is evidently so paltry that it is in effect not being done... the refs as a group suck it, and are the source of the league’s biggest credibility problem with the fan base of every team. I just know I’m forgetting something...

I likely have not fully expressed my true feelings on this, I will have to try harder in the future...  I’m gonna get myself a beer ??? 

This is why the Trillion Dollar NFL needs to suck it up and pay the refs, what, $250k/year to go full time. Spend the offseason in "ref camps" where they all meet and get on the same page about the rules and how to call games, and then spend the summers working in various Team Training Camps, working intensely with the team on how they will call games and what will fly and what wont.

Instead, they spend most of their year at their accounting and law firms, and put on their "ref caps" only when needed. Such bush league BS from the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Riveron will still be involved with the review replay process, which is where he did a lot of his damage.  We just won't hear his name as often.  He gains some anonymity.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is why the Trillion Dollar NFL needs to suck it up and pay the refs, what, $250k/year to go full time. Spend the offseason in "ref camps" where they all meet and get on the same page about the rules and how to call games, and then spend the summers working in various Team Training Camps, working intensely with the team on how they will call games and what will fly and what wont.

Instead, they spend most of their year at their accounting and law firms, and put on their "ref caps" only when needed. Such bush league BS from the NFL.

At this point I do think the NFL needs full time refs.  Part time refs worked well enough in the past when there wasn't an over-abundance of rules to protect defenseless receivers, QBs, Brady, and whoever else gains the league's favor.  Now the game is highly controlled, and even engineered, to protect stars and encourages the offenses to score 40+ points per game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, mattynh said:

No one can do that job that would satisfy fans.  It’s impossible 

Exactly- all this focus on the the refs is a waste of time.

Just about half of everyone will be pissed on every call, and half will be happy