Riveron “out” - Good News (Sorry - Still in NFL office as a game day official)

Supervising day-to-day operations sounds like administrative work -- a paper shuffler. It's not surprising that someone with no officiating experience is doing that, but it is surprising that someone with NFL coordinator experience would take that job. I'm sure the stress level is lower and there's less travel, so maybe Fewell wants to spend more time with his family.

• Like (+1) 1

The refs are SO bad! When they have the retired guys talking during games, they read plays just flat out wrong half the time. Do they all drink the same dumb Koolaid? 

We need Ex FOOTBALL players being refs. Current refs are a bunch of dumb dorks, if you ask me (except for a couple of them).

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t care if it’s a rotted out 2 x 4 that takes Riverons spot, I’m celebrating his dismissal! At least Walt has a lot of experience being a head ref. Riveron was a bottom tier head ref for like 5 years before he got bumped to the top. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The refs are SO bad! When they have the retired guys talking during games, they read plays just flat out wrong half the time. Do they all drink the same dumb Koolaid? 

We need Ex FOOTBALL players being refs. Current refs are a bunch of dumb dorks, if you ask me (except for a couple of them).

Most, if not all NFL referees have a football background.  

FINALLY. I’ve lost exact count of how many “fire Riveron” comments I’ve made here, but it was a lot. 

EDIT: dang, it appears Al’s still there, alongside Walt and Perry. Oh well.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

Walt Anderson is a real beaut too.

Yes that’s a problem. I really can’t envision someone being more destructive and moronic than Riveron in that job, but Walt could certainly come close. Hopefully one of Perry’s duties is to check his idiocy.

As far as I can see, Riverton's still in charge of in-game replay decisions--which is all that matters to fans like us.   Who gives a fig about the NFL's day-to-day administrative matters.    They don't effect the game.   

As to Anderson, he might cul some of the worst refs and recruit some better ones.  But again, bad replay decisions are still going to happen as long as Riverton's involved...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/28/perry-fewell-walt-anderson-join-nfl-officiating-department/

"Alberto Riveron, the senior vice president of officiating, returns for his eighth season at the league office."

"Riveron will lead the league’s replay review process with vice president of instant replay Russell Yurk, director of video technology Bret Ayers, and replay assistants Desiree Abrams, Sebrina Brunson and Artenzia Young-Seigler."

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Most, if not all NFL referees have a football background.  

This is not aimed at you obviously, it just begs this comment. 

Be that as it is, why are they so god awful bad at actual game calls?  It is as if they are not required to study, and know the rules and how they are intended to be implemented.  These guys give the impression that they are winging it on game day.  Any testing of their knowledge and implementation skills is evidently so paltry that it is in effect not being done... the refs as a group suck it, and are the source of the league’s biggest credibility problem with the fan base of every team. I just know I’m forgetting something...

I likely have not fully expressed my true feelings on this, I will have to try harder in the future...  I’m gonna get myself a beer ??? 

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that seems like quite a career change for Fewell - since like the article says, he has never been an official

and that’s a good thing. Honestly I think this was completely intentional - the NFL saw that it absolutely needed the voice of a non-official in that office after the Riveron debacle.