Best back to back songs on any album, any artist?

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Can they wrap around, so last song/first song (consecutive if your turntable or CD is set properly).

If so, I’ll go with The Last Resort and Hotel California.

should be another thread 

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

The Beatles: Golden Slumber / Carry That Weight / The End

If you want to bring the Beatles into this.. then while my guitar gently weeps to happiness is a warm gun is so much better than this overrated medley. 

32 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

If you want to bring the Beatles into this.. then while my guitar gently weeps to happiness is a warm gun is so much better than this overrated medley. 

Quit while you're ahead. The Beatles were always in on this. For my money Black Dog/Rock and Roll is still the winner. Waiting to see if someone can change my mind. 

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Quit while you're ahead. The Beatles were always in on this. For my money Black Dog/Rock and Roll is still the winner. Waiting to see if someone can change my mind. 

Hey I like the Beatles, but I’m just saying that there are better Beatle back-to-backs than the abbey road medley. 

39 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Hey I like the Beatles, but I’m just saying that there are better Beatle back-to-backs than the abbey road medley. 

Perhaps. I love pretty much everything posted in this thread.

But when you're king of the mountain (Black Dog/Rock and Roll) why indulge the pretenders?  

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I agree.  I have always loved the transition from the heavy I Want You (She's So Heavy) into Here Comes the Sun.  The way I Want You just stops; no fade; not in a predictable spot.  Just stops.  Then, in the blink of an eye, Here Comes the Sun begins.  I always thought it was genius.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Gotta get some Rush into this thread. Conventional wisdom will say Tom Sawyer / Limelight from Moving Pictures, but my favorite back-to-back is from Hemispheres - The Trees / La Villa Strangiato...two great songs that do a great job of showing of Rush's "Rushiness".

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

I think a lot of WNYers are more tuned into Rush than perhaps people from other areas, maybe because we are more connected to Canada than most of the country.  I don't know.  

But it's almost impossible to overstate how good of a band they were.  Interesting creativity with a unique sound, outstanding musicianship all the way around, a very unusual and interesting approach to the guitar from Alex, some of the best drumming in history, and Getty's unmistakable voice.  Great bass player too.

I love how they often worked weird time signature shifts into the middle of songs, which usually is a bad idea.  But they always pulled it off and made it seem obvious and natural somehow! 

It seems like they never reached the fame and stardom they deserved.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, Gray Beard said:

That whole album flowed well.  It may have been the first album that I ever listened to all the way through, over and over again. It’s not considered to be as good as Led Zeppelin 4, but it will always be a favorite of mine. 

2143 in order for my personal favorite. But 1 and 4 swap depending on the day. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree.  I have always loved the transition from the heavy I Want You (She's So Heavy) into Here Comes the Sun.  The way I Want You just stops; no fade; not in a predictable spot.  Just stops.  Then, in the blink of an eye, Here Comes the Sun begins.  I always thought it was genius.

I always thought that was cool too. Not sure how intentional that was considering they were the last and first songs on side 1 and 2, so they wouldn't have transitioned as smoothly as it does now with CDs/Tapes/digital downloads. Although I put this record on to fall asleep once or twice. I stopped because the repetitiveness of the ending of She's So Heavy lulls you to sleep, and the sudden stop actually shot me back awake. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think a lot of WNYers are more tuned into Rush than perhaps people from other areas, maybe because we are more connected to Canada than most of the country.  I don't know.  

But it's almost impossible to overstate how good of a band they were.  Interesting creativity with a unique sound, outstanding musicianship all the way around, a very unusual and interesting approach to the guitar from Alex, some of the best drumming in history, and Getty's unmistakable voice.  Great bass player too.

I love how they often worked weird time signature shifts into the middle of songs, which usually is a bad idea.  But they always pulled it off and made it seem obvious and natural somehow! 

It seems like they never reached the fame and stardom they deserved.

Rush managed to stay true to what they wanted to play, rarely had mainstream success and yet has an intensely loyal following, . That's rare.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:36 PM, PastaJoe said:

The Beatles: Golden Slumber / Carry That Weight / The End

The medley starts with "You Never Give me Your Number" though, you left off like 5 songs!

And these two to end Let it Bleed deserve recognition.

Edited by Mark80