Best back to back songs on any album, any artist?

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Damn close to mine.  Livin Lovin Maid / Ramble On.

That whole album flowed well.  It may have been the first album that I ever listened to all the way through, over and over again. It’s not considered to be as good as Led Zeppelin 4, but it will always be a favorite of mine. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Apparently we have much of the same tastes.

The one difference might be The Who, which I enjoyed back in the day. I’m not sure why, but I usually change the station now when they come on. I went with college buddies to the concert in Cincinnati where so many young people died. I honestly don’t know if my taste in music changed, or if that event changed me. I know I’ll never forget that night, even though we had no idea what had happened until we got back to our colleges bar. There were signs on the scene, including one of my rugby buddies tripping over “something” and trying like hell to get him up again, that said something was off. We backed away after that, waiting out the madness. We were young and strong, and it took that just to get away going in the opposite direction. 

Zeppelin IV, side 1: Black Dog and Rock 'n Roll.

This also gets my vote for best side of an album in rock history, as it also contains Stairway to Heaven.

Only "Battle of Evermore" somewhat tarnishes a perfect lineup, and that song isn't so bad itself.

20 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In fairness, you could almost pick any 2 consecutive songs on either side of Dark Side of the Moon.

The whole thing is presented like a symphony and works amazingly well as a coordinated whole.

The only exception, for me, is "Money" which doesn't fit (or belong on) the album IMO.

Otherwise the whole thing is pretty much rock perfection.

No wonder this album (and others) made all those guys filthy rich.

19 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Amazing Journey/Sparks. (Originally from Tommy, but the live version is so much better.)

This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

One of my favorite moments is the extended version of "My Generation" when they go off into "jam" mode for several minutes.

Absolutely amazing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gotta get some Rush into this thread. Conventional wisdom will say Tom Sawyer / Limelight from Moving Pictures, but my favorite back-to-back is from Hemispheres - The Trees / La Villa Strangiato...two great songs that do a great job of showing of Rush's "Rushiness".

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

• Like (+1) 1