Any interest in Everson Griffen

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills brass likes Murphy, 2 years ago they made him their big free agency signing (Well him and Star.) He has 9 sacks in two seasons and isn't a stout run defender. I have no clue with they love him but I think the staff likes him. He isn't a bad player but certainly is overpaid for what he is (an above average rotational DE.)

If the Bills are going to bring in someone to compete with Murphy it will either be Johnson or a lesser heralded player in camp. I just don't see them spending any even mid-level money on a free agent just to compete with Murphy. AJ brought youth and depth to the position via the draft and I don't see them rushing to replace a player they likely view as their 4th DE esp given they have a player in Johnson who is young and can compete in camp.

unfortunately I think u are right.  

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Griffen also never played for Carolina so there is a very slim chance he signs here. 

I’ll bet you chuckled to yourself when you typed that... ?

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Too much for one year?  Crazy talk.  Makes zero sense.  

Cut Murphy and adding him makes sense from a talent standpoint but I think they like Murphy and are happy with him for 2020.  Also, Griffen hasn’t played in the left side too much in the nfl.  He did some in college while Jerry and Mario have both played the majority of their snaps on the right.  Not sure if that really matters

In a vacuum, I don’t see an issue with the Bills paying Griffen that.  But DL already has the biggest outlay of any position group on the team - by a long, long way.  I do not see them swapping out Murphy for Griffen and adding another $5M or so to that.  If they were going to add a pricey DE I think they’d only do it for younger, longer term player. 

14 hours ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

Murphy was very good for the Bills down the stretch and in the playoff game. He could stick around.

I would hope he doesn’t revert to the player he has been though...........

being maddeningly inconsistent and taking himself out of a lot of plays.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think AJ starts stealing Murphy's reps very quickly........cant keep better talent off the field....I do understand not forcing it and having vets though

By the way.....how huge is it that the bills got maybe the 2nd best DE in this draft with their 2nd round pick (a late one no less)

Huge

Hey John, I think the only at Murphy makes the team, if there are other players on the Edge get hurt.  I doubt it on Griffin.  We already brought in Jefferson, Addison, Butler, H. Phillips is coming back, and I know those aren’t all Edge guys, but Jefferson can do both.  This isn’t even mentioning Epenesa.

35 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey John, I think the only at Murphy makes the team, if there are other players on the Edge get hurt.  I doubt it on Griffin.  We already brought in Jefferson, Addison, Butler, H. Phillips is coming back, and I know those aren’t all Edge guys, but Jefferson can do both.  This isn’t even mentioning Epenesa.

I think Murphy does make the team, this is the last year of his contract.  Murphy and AJ probably on the left side with Hughes and Addison on the right.  I don't think they're going to throw AJ in sink or swim style, but rather allow him to grow into the position.  AJ may not get more snaps than Murphy until later in the season, unfortunately.

Davis and Jefferson are probably the 3-techs, with Jefferson giving them flexibility as to where he lines up; so maybe we'll see some creativity up front, I hope.

Next year Beane will have to invest heavily on the d-line as Murphy will be gone, potentially Star, as well as Addison and Hughes.  All those guys will be over 30 and closer to 32-33 years old.

47 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Somehow.....the bills found a way to lose Lawson and STILL improved this defense in the offseaosn

So THIS is what a well run organization looks like

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Somehow.....the bills found a way to lose Lawson and STILL improved this defense in the offseaosn

So THIS is what a well run organization looks like

Losing Lawson and Phillips....while improving the h it they left and not breaking the bank.  Well done Beane

• 1 month later...

Now that Starr is opted out, can we use that money on a free agent now? One of our new additions is very versatile so we could kick him inside now and should address our Ends. I have hoping they are looking at options because losing Starr will impact our line.

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Griffen's struggles in 2018 were widely publicized. There were verbal outbursts, multiple incidents with police – including one after he showed up, shirtless and unprompted, to teammate Trae Waynes' house – and an escape from an ambulance.“

There was a time when these traits were sought after for a MLB..