Any interest in Everson Griffen

I have read that they want to slowly incorporate AJ in the line up, why not throw a flyer on Griffen? He said he would be an open book about his past and last year, could be a very nice 1 or 2 year deal on a player that is only 32. He could still have a lot of good football ahead of him, good at getting after the QB and stout against the run.

25 minutes ago, falgobofu said:

I have read that they want to slowly incorporate AJ in the line up, why not throw a flyer on Griffen? He said he would be an open book about his past and last year, could be a very nice 1 or 2 year deal on a player that is only 32. He could still have a lot of good football ahead of him, good at getting after the QB and stout against the run.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rather have him then Murphy. But I don't think they make the move.

I think he would be a very nice addition on a short term deal (1-2 years) and his acquisition would almost certainly mean the end of Trent Murphy's time in Buffalo. That said, I don't think the Bills will pursue him. JMO

54 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Is this the guy that pulled a gun on someone a couple years ago?

Didn't pull a gun, but did threaten to shoot someone.  He was clearly dealing with some mental health issues in 2018 based on the details in this story:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24794154/everson-griffen-being-evaluated-hospital-minnesota-vikings-concerned-well-being

But it looks like he was able to come back in 2019 and play the full season.  Hopefully he's found the help that he definitely needed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CBD said:

I'm ok with the player, however I think with Hughes, Addison, Murphy and Epenesa they likely aren't looking to add to that position group. 

This.

The staff also sounds as though they like Daryl Johnson and Mike Love quite a bit.

I think they’re done adding at Edge.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

This.

The staff also sounds as though they like Daryl Johnson and Mike Love quite a bit.

Mike Love is extremely overrated... everyone knows that Brian Wilson was the driving force in The Beach Boys.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This SI story talks about the kinds of contracts the writer would expect him get if he went to Cleveland.  One year, $12.75M or two years, $23.1M.  If that’s legitimately his range, then he’s not a fit here.  Even with cutting Murphy (saving about $8M) that’s too much with the Addison addition and Hughes on the books.  Griffen will probably sign somewhere right after Clowney does.  Same suitors and Clowney will set the current market, so that chip probably has to fall first. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Didn't pull a gun, but did threaten to shoot someone.  He was clearly dealing with some mental health issues in 2018 based on the details in this story:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24794154/everson-griffen-being-evaluated-hospital-minnesota-vikings-concerned-well-being

But it looks like he was able to come back in 2019 and play the full season.  Hopefully he's found the help that he definitely needed.

CLEVELAND  ...good fit

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Logic said:

This.

Coaches always say nice things about players that work hard and stay out of trouble, even if they suck.

The Bills brass likes Murphy, 2 years ago they made him their big free agency signing (Well him and Star.) He has 9 sacks in two seasons and isn't a stout run defender. I have no clue with they love him but I think the staff likes him. He isn't a bad player but certainly is overpaid for what he is (an above average rotational DE.)

If the Bills are going to bring in someone to compete with Murphy it will either be Johnson or a lesser heralded player in camp. I just don't see them spending any even mid-level money on a free agent just to compete with Murphy. AJ brought youth and depth to the position via the draft and I don't see them rushing to replace a player they likely view as their 4th DE esp given they have a player in Johnson who is young and can compete in camp.

42 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Coaches always say nice things about players that work hard and stay out of trouble, even if they suck.

That's true.

I happen to believe that they really are done adding at Edge, though. They have three veterans in Hughes, Addison, and Murphy. They have a highly drafted youngster in Epenesa. That right there is the likely four-man rotation. Behind those four, they have two developmental prospects they like in Love and Johnson. I don't see them adding another older veteran like Griffen to the existing group. One could argue that they should cut Murphy and add Griffen instead, but I'd disagree with that notion.

I'm not saying Griffen isn't a good player. I just don't think the Bills have any interest in signing him.

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This SI story talks about the kinds of contracts the writer would expect him get if he went to Cleveland.  One year, $12.75M or two years, $23.1M.  If that’s legitimately his range, then he’s not a fit here.  Even with cutting Murphy (saving about $8M) that’s too much with the Addison addition and Hughes on the books.  Griffen will probably sign somewhere right after Clowney does.  Same suitors and Clowney will set the current market, so that chip probably has to fall first. 

Too much for one year?  Crazy talk.  Makes zero sense.  

Cut Murphy and adding him makes sense from a talent standpoint but I think they like Murphy and are happy with him for 2020.  Also, Griffen hasn’t played in the left side too much in the nfl.  He did some in college while Jerry and Mario have both played the majority of their snaps on the right.  Not sure if that really matters