1973 Chiefs at Bills Monday Night Football video

LB48

8 hours ago, bbb said:

The rules back then were that home games were blacked out even if the game sold out................My Dad, Grandmother and Great Uncle went and booked a motel room in Rochester to watch the AFL Championship game that was in Buffalo (I think the other was in San Diego and I'm not sure about the one with KC to go to SB I  

1973 was the first year of the 72 hour rule. The game had to be sold out 3 days before game day. This game, as well as several others, weren’t and thus, a local black out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 8:14 AM, First Round Bust said:

was this this the very first MNF home game ever ?. where a guy did a tightrope walk of some sort above the crowd....also I think someone threatened Howard Cosell and he pressed charges and came back for the trial...during which time a local TV reporter asked him some questions and his response (while wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigar) to one which I clearly remember was..."I know every playahs numbah...and where went to collidge."

Night games in Buffalo...I sense another chapter or two coming this season...prayers

It was the first Bills MNF game.

The incident where the guy hung on the wire for the FG net was  a Bills-Giants game  in probably .75 0r 76  Went with some HS/College friends and we sat way up in the upper deck.. I was in college because we snuck in some schnapps(one of us had bought to on the way to  the game).

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Wacka said:

It was the first Bills MNF game.

The incident where the guy hung on the wire for the FG net was  a Bills-Giants game  in probably .75 0r 76  Went with some HS/College friends and we sat way up in the upper deck.. I was in college because we snuck in some schnapps(one of us had bought to on the way to  the game).

That’s what I recall as well. But I think the Chiefs game had the couple who came as Bride and Groom, right? I always wonder what happened to them. Great wedding story!

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, bbb said:

The rules back then were that home games were blacked out even if the game sold out................My Dad, Grandmother and Great Uncle went and booked a motel room in Rochester to watch the AFL Championship game that was in Buffalo (I think the other was in San Diego and I'm not sure about the one with KC to go to SB I  

BBB....I believe you but I clearly remember watching the first regular season game at the Stadium, against the Jets, on television. I remember the Jets QB throwing a last second TD but the Bills still won the game. Maybe they showed that on television because it was their first regular season game at Rich?

Edited by Beast

13 hours ago, Mcdermott said:

1973 was the first year of the 72 hour rule. The game had to be sold out 3 days before game day. This game, as well as several others, weren’t and thus, a local black out.

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

BBB....I believe you but I clearly remember watching the first regular season game at the Stadium, against the Jets, on television. I remember the Jets QB throwing a last second TD but the Bills still won the game. Maybe they showed that on television because it was their first regular season game at Rich?

McDermott corrected me above.  I didn't realize it was the first year of the new rule.  I can't believe that first MNF game ever didn't sell out in advance of 72 hours!  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, bbb said:

McDermott corrected me above.  I didn't realize it was the first year of the new rule.  I can't believe that first MNF game ever didn't sell out in advance of 72 hours!  

In 1973 the Bills sold 50,474 season tickets.  Rich Stadium capacity was 80,020.  The Jets game was a sell-out in advance of the 72 hour rule.   

• Like (+1) 1