Grand island toll fine.

Went over GI bridge for work 13 times in March. Called the * whatever number a few times and they said they would send me a text with link to pay  toll. Never came. Went online and site was down. Waited for bill that came today.  Opened bill and to my surprise I owe $663 

$50 fine for each $1 toll. Tried to call and dispute but didn’t get anyone. Said after three months the fines are added but it hasn’t been 3 months. How is this legal?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Sad 2

I had an ezpass for a while but girlfriend got charged 8 times in 2 mins on the north Gi bridge and then 3 mins later in Angola. I called and disputed them and they removed them immediately. Shortly after that they fined me $50 for something and I got rid of it. 

I’m not the only one. There’s a lot of horror stories about the tolls on the bridge. Some owe thousands 

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Be diligent, get a human, write down your egress across the bridges, and don't pay until it's settled.

Should  have just been diligent since step #1: Get an E-ZPass. $.95 x 13 = $12.35.  Start with $15.00 Automatic replenish @ $10.00 

What a a shame. 

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I had an ezpass for a while but girlfriend got charged 8 times in 2 mins on the north Gi bridge and then 3 mins later in Angola. I called and disputed them and they removed them immediately. Shortly after that they fined me $50 for something and I got rid of it. 

I’m not the only one. There’s a lot of horror stories about the tolls on the bridge. Some owe thousands 

What did  you do? Speed thru booth?

Anyway  they sent me a new E-ZPass and the thing was getting hit on the Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes in back  of mail  truck.  They reversed the charges  Came  from the service center Downstate.  Hit  on a bridge ?  in NYC too.  They didn't  ship it in a foil  bag. 

If you ever do mail yours back, wrap it in aluminum  foil. 

I never had an issue with the G.Island bridges.  Sister used to  live there.  I have had E-ZPass since like  2004 or so. 

Residents only pay  $.09 per. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Should  have just been diligent since step #1: Get an E-ZPass. $.95 x 13 = $12.35.  Start with $15.00 Automatic replenish @ $10.00 

What a a shame. 

What did  you do? Speed thru booth?

Anyway  they sent me a new E-ZPass and the thing was getting hit on the Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes in back  of mail  truck.  They reversed the charges  Came  from the service center Downstate.  Hit  on a bridge ?  in NYC too.  They didn't  ship it in a foil  bag. 

If you ever do mail yours back, wrap it in aluminum  foil. 

I never had an issue with the G.Island bridges.  Sister used to  live there.  I have had E-ZPass since like  2004 or so. 

That burned me too. Got an expass put the minimum on it. Used it like 3xs, and the sign said call ezpass.... I knew I had enough money on there as I'd used like $3 of $15 loaded

..... well on one of my trips it didn't pick up where I entered so it charged me the maximum toll charge for like $15.... put me negative.....

I used it a few more times over grand island and didn't do anything about the gate saying-call ez pass. I worked in an office at the time and I hate phone calls when I'm off work.

So I used grand island while "overdrawn" like 8xs and they tacked on some crazy fees on each one, plus the like $50 late fee on each.

I owe nys like $1600 tolls, when I gave them $15 and only used it like 12xs. They owe ME money. Don't use ezpass either 

• Like (+1) 1

Went through Grand Island toll  last fall. Never got a bill.  Got an EZ Pass over the winter . The fall  trip finally registered  in February. No late fee.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I try to throw my quarter into the basket without stopping.

That would be pretty interesting these days.

You'd have to find a toll booth. And a toll basket. And a quarter or 50¢ toll. I'm not certain any of those exist anymore.  <_<

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

Went through Grand Island toll  last fall. Never got a bill.  Got an EZ Pass over the winter . The fall  trip finally registered  in February. No late fee.

I did too. 

Twice in a rent car with the EZ Pass from Budget.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That would be pretty interesting these days.

You'd have to find a toll booth. And a toll basket. And a quarter or 50¢ toll. I'm not certain any of those exist anymore.  <_<

Illinois Tollway.  I think the baskets  still take pennies.  Fun times  watching  it count 100 pennies.  People going wild behind you. 

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek

That's  what they do with their rolled pennies.  LoL ?...

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Illinois Tollway.  I think the baskets  still take pennies.  Fun times  watching  it count 100 pennies.  People going wild behind you. 

OMG... the first time we took the exit for O'Hare the toll was 85¢.  WTH came up with 85¢!? No ezpass at that time, no manned toll booth. Exact change only. :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

OMG... the first time we took the exit for O'Hare the toll was 85¢.  WTH came up with 85¢!? No ezpass at that time, no manned toll booth. Exact change only. :wallbash:

And at that time they most certainly took pennies.  They may still do.  Maybe not.  They were the last.  There is only ONE Illinois.  LoL...

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek

That's  what they do with their rolled pennies.  LoL ?...

Given the amounts we pay in taxes to subsidize you fellas sitting in your “lock tower” watching boats go by, yes...I count my pennies. And we all know you are the only guy to reach level 2,983 in Tetris....shoot, you broke the damn game while “on watch”

• Thank you (+1) 1

Had an ezpass when I lived on the Island pre 1995, very rare issues, easily fixed. Have had an EZ Pass in either PA, NJ or now Maryland (depending on which discount I want to use for a job or which roads I'm driving on most frequently) since I have lived in southeast PA. Very rare issues on Route 1 in Delaware at the ones where you drive through at speed but that was like 10 years ago now and easily solved even at the time.

It's my understanding that the tag is tied to your plate and if the tag doesn't register it snaps a picture of the plate and they are able to reconcile the two. I had a tag go bad once and that happened, I got the call ezpass thing when I knew I had money on it and the battery in the tag had died. No fines.

Not discounting your problems but I feel like we were some of the first people to get ezpass as Island residents and I've had one ever since, issued by 4 different states and have not had any of those ridiculous types of issues in more than 25 years of using it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Had an ezpass when I lived on the Island pre 1995, very rare issues, easily fixed. Have had an EZ Pass in either PA, NJ or now Maryland (depending on which discount I want to use for a job or which roads I'm driving on most frequently) since I have lived in southeast PA. Very rare issues on Route 1 in Delaware at the ones where you drive through at speed but that was like 10 years ago now and easily solved even at the time.

It's my understanding that the tag is tied to your plate and if the tag doesn't register it snaps a picture of the plate and they are able to reconcile the two. I had a tag go bad once and that happened, I got the call ezpass thing when I knew I had money on it and the battery in the tag had died. No fines.

Not discounting your problems but I feel like we were some of the first people to get ezpass as Island residents and I've had one ever since, issued by 4 different states and have not had any of those ridiculous types of issues in more than 25 years of using it.

I use my NYS issued E-Zpass here in Illinois where  they have drive thru tolling.  Not even an issue at 65mph...

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I use my NYS issued E-Zpass here in Illinois where  they have drive thru tolling.  Not even an issue at 65mph...

Yeah, I'll have used mine in MD, VA, NC and DE in the last week, all at some degree of speed up to 65mph and there will be no issues.

I hear these nightmare stories and I don't know what to do other than shrug because I've never had any of the technical or customer service problems that people report.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Given the amounts we pay in taxes to subsidize you fellas sitting in your “lock tower” watching boats go by, yes...I count my pennies. And we all know you are the only guy to reach level 2,983 in Tetris....shoot, you broke the damn game while “on watch”

Whaaaaa... Like your's and @Gugny 's $0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 you  two sleps pay  into the general  fund THAT goes to my job?

My federal  taxes go to subsidize  my own and co-worker's jobs.  WE get more control.  The rest of your's and Gug's  tax money ? goes  to homoerotic art in Soho. Enjoy thinking of the general  fund in those  terms.   NOT that there is  anything  wrong with that.   LoL ? ? ? 

Your $0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 is up. 

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, I'll have used mine in MD, VA, NC and DE in the last week, all at some degree of speed up to 65mph and there will be no issues.

I hear these nightmare stories and I don't know what to do other than shrug because I've never had any of the technical or customer service problems that people report.

Yeah.  Something can't  be right.

Do they  drive an old GM car or Mercedes.  I heard  you have to get the plate  mounted transponders.  But that  was years ago.  Transponder  wouldn't  fire through windows  because of the coating. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Whaaaaa... Like your's and @Gugny 's $0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 you  two sleps pay  into the general  fund THAT goes to my job?

My federal  taxes go to subsidize  my own and co-worker's jobs.  WE get more control.  The rest of your's and Gug's  tax money ? goes  to homoerotic art in Soho. Enjoy thinking of the general  fund in those  terms.   NOT that there is  anything  wrong with that.   LoL ? ? ? 

Your $0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 is up. 

Yeah.  Something can't  be right.

Do they  drive an old GM car or Mercedes.  I heard  you have to get the plate  mounted transponders.  But that  was years ago.  Transponder  wouldn't  fire through windows  because of the coating. 

We had a plate mounted one on our Chevy Lumina APV in the early 90s because of the windshield angle. But again, not an insurmountable issue and something I think they are well aware of at this point.

The stupid transponders worked well enough 25 years ago that we had to take it off and leave it in our mailbox when we wanted to take the car off the Island without my parents knowing about it.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

We had a plate mounted one on our Chevy Lumina APV in the early 90s because of the windshield angle. But again, not an insurmountable issue and something I think they are well aware of at this point.

The stupid transponders worked well enough 25 years ago that we had to take it off and leave it in our mailbox when we wanted to take the car off the Island without my parents knowing about it.

I think they  can use it in court as evidence?