Hybrid car question.

frogger

Hoping someone knows, I’ll start with I’m not a car guy, I have one, I like having one, I use mine a lot.  5 years ago I bought a Ford Fusion hybrid (spare me the obvious criticism, I already explained, not a car guy) up until last week it was very reliable and provided me with excellent gas mileage.  I do outside B2B sales,  driving almost 200 miles a day isn’t unheard of.

but then, I smelled an odor, it was a weird chemical odor.  So I brought the car home, traded out for my wife’s car and continued my day.  Now the car won’t start, battery is completely dead.  We looked up the smell and it seems the batteries are done.  
Question; can I jump start it?  Should I jump start it?  obviously I’m going to get rid of the car.  But, I’m not sure I can get it to a dealership to trade it in.  Any advise is helpful.

How many miles on the car? Sounds like you pile up the miles! That’s was what always scared my about hybrids, eventually you need to replace the batteries (as I understand it, I’m NOT a car guy either) and whatever you saved on gas takes a big hit. I’d rather pay a little more each month at the pump than have to write a check for ~$2k (a guess) out of the blue. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

How many miles on the car? Sounds like you pile up the miles! That’s was what always scared my about hybrids, eventually you need to replace the batteries (as I understand it, I’m NOT a car guy either) and whatever you saved on gas takes a big hit. I’d rather pay a little more each month at the pump than have to write a check for ~$2k (a guess) out of the blue. 

Most hybrids and EVs come with a ten-year warranty on the batteries, and their price has come down quite a bit since the first generation Prius. And if most of your driving is in the city, you'd hardly use any gas at all (assuming a plug-in hybrid), which saves a lot of money. When it comes to miles-per-dollar, electricity is less than half the cost of gasoline.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The car has 130k on it, outside sales is a lot of driving.

thank you all for responding.

i will call to be sure, but I think I’m either going to pay a bunch to get the batteries replaced or just trade it in.  Over the 5 years I’ve had it, I’ve saved a bunch on gas.

First off, check your car insurance, it may cover a diagnostic visit and/or tow to the dealer if necessary.  You CAN jump a hybrid, but often the batteries are in the rear (are on a Prius) and you need to know where the connection point is.  Owners manual.  

hybrids have two sets of batteries, one that starts the car, and the batteries that can power the car to drive.  One can affect the other.  You might need either or both replaced but as has been said check warranty. May be covered.

Good luck!  We bought used 2010 Prius in 2013, has been good car for us

we have had to have it jumped and have replaced the starting battery.  Bigger job than in ordinary car as Some Dissasembly Required to access the thing.

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

The car has 130k on it, outside sales is a lot of driving.

thank you all for responding.

i will call to be sure, but I think I’m either going to pay a bunch to get the batteries replaced or just trade it in.  Over the 5 years I’ve had it, I’ve saved a bunch on gas.

Have you ever calculated the net cost?  The incremental car costs + electric costs vs gas savings?  I have not done so in the last few years but it never made sense cost wise.

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Have you ever calculated the net cost?  The incremental car costs + electric costs vs gas savings?  I have not done so in the last few years but it never made sense cost wise.

I have not, but since I get mileage from my company, the car has actually made me money.  Up till the batteries dying, I was get 38-44 miles per gallon while getting 57 cents per mile...so on an average, I was making more than $20 a gallon.

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I have not, but since I get mileage from my company, the car has actually made me money.  Up till the batteries dying, I was get 38-44 miles per gallon while getting 57 cents per mile...so on an average, I was making more than $20 a gallon.

I am relentlessly bullied by multiple TBD users because I drive a Nissan Versa Note.  My daily (M-F) commute is ~120 miles round-trip.

In the winter, I average 34-35 MPG.  In the summer, it's 39-40 MPG.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First off, check your car insurance, it may cover a diagnostic visit and/or tow to the dealer if necessary.  You CAN jump a hybrid, but often the batteries are in the rear (are on a Prius) and you need to know where the connection point is.  Owners manual.  

hybrids have two sets of batteries, one that starts the car, and the batteries that can power the car to drive.  One can affect the other.  You might need either or both replaced but as has been said check warranty. May be covered.

Good luck!  We bought used 2010 Prius in 2013, has been good car for us

we have had to have it jumped and have replaced the starting battery.  Bigger job than in ordinary car as Some Dissasembly Required to access the thing.

You haven't seen some of the newer cars/SUVs, Some require removing a fender and other parts to get to them cause they are hidden away....

On 5/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Gugny said:

I am relentlessly bullied by multiple TBD users because I drive a Nissan Versa Note.  My daily (M-F) commute is ~120 miles round-trip.

In the winter, I average 34-35 MPG.  In the summer, it's 39-40 MPG.

C'mon, its not JUST because  you drive the Versa, that doesn't help your case..... j/k

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Gugny said:

You KNOW I'm team Goooogs...........but is this the reason you are bullied here? 

• Haha (+1) 2