Today's SpaceX/NASA launch

WhoTom

Nine years ago, NASA retired the Space Shuttle fleet. Since then, we've paid Russia to transport our astronauts to the International Space Station. Today, NASA and SpaceX are launching the first manned mission from the Kennedy Space Center since the Shuttle was decommissioned. Watch it live with this link. (It's scheduled to launch at 4:33PM EDT.)

https://www.planetary.org/multimedia/video/planetary-society-live.html

BTW, the astronauts on this flight are named Bob and Doug, and soon, they'll Take Off. 1f609.png? (80s pop culture reference.)

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Nine years ago, NASA retired the Space Shuttle fleet. Since then, we've paid Russia to transport our astronauts to the International Space Station. Today, NASA and SpaceX are launching the first manned mission from the Kennedy Space Center since the Shuttle was decommissioned. Watch it live with this link. (It's scheduled to launch at 4:33PM EDT.)

https://www.planetary.org/multimedia/video/planetary-society-live.html

BTW, the astronauts on this flight are named Bob and Doug, and soon, they'll Take Off. 1f609.png? (80s pop culture reference.)

Hoser

• Haha (+1) 1

I like and dislike Musk, but he is undeniably a bad mofo. But I am a space nerd so, go SPACEX!! Apparently we (Tulsa) are in the final round for a potential truck factory. I am pretty far removed from the daily news (self imposed), but this thread led me to the first time I have read this Tesla/Tulsa truck factory thing....and it is comical what my city is doing to lure them.

https://www.big*****ingfield.com

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I like and dislike Musk, but he is undeniably a bad mofo. But I am a space nerd so, go SPACEX!!

People who push the envelope tend to be D-bags. Some were that way from a young age, while others - and I think Musk falls into this category - started out with good intentions but eventually got intoxicated by success, money, and power.

I know weather and a gazillion other factors go into the launch day and time.  However, a strange part of me says the delay yesterday to Saturday seems like a PR move and a ratings thing.  

I base this on: 1) They said they would have the complete Yes or No decision by 3:45pm as that was when they needed to start fueling to be a go.  The official cancellation wasn't until after 4:00pm.  2) They new date and time is Saturday afternoon at 3:22pm.  Right in the middle of a weekend as everyone is sitting at home bored.  

I know this wasn't the case but it seems a little fishy to me.  I bet the ratings on Saturday will be huge.  

3 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I know weather and a gazillion other factors go into the launch day and time.  However, a strange part of me says the delay yesterday to Saturday seems like a PR move and a ratings thing.  

I base this on: 1) They said they would have the complete Yes or No decision by 3:45pm as that was when they needed to start fueling to be a go.  The official cancellation wasn't until after 4:00pm.  2) They new date and time is Saturday afternoon at 3:22pm.  Right in the middle of a weekend as everyone is sitting at home bored.  

I know this wasn't the case but it seems a little fishy to me.  I bet the ratings on Saturday will be huge.  

What ratings? Who's concerned? If that's the case, wouldn't they just schedule it on Saturday to begin with?

6 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Exterminate that "strange part of you." 

7 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Given that there are a gazillion factors, why would they waste one of the precious few available launch windows just to pull a publicity stunt?

Edited by WhoTom

13 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

The flip side is January 28, 1986.  NASA was under extreme pressure to launch Challenger that morning because kids would be in school to see the launch.  It was on all the major news networks all morning.  

If NASA would have waited even an additional hour for the ground temps to warm a little, the shuttle would have launched without issue. 

I guess she's still on for 2:00pm tomorrow.

I'm like 140 miles south of KSC in Palm Beach County.

When satellites launch, we can run out and face N/NE and see the stuff going up quite well, at least at night.

It's pretty amazing how clearly and obviously you can see the rockets.

I will try to do the same tomorrow if it's a clear day; we have had a ton of rain and gray skies down here for almost a week now.

I bet I will be able to see it in daylight if the sky is clear.

Anyone else do this?

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I guess she's still on for 2:00pm tomorrow.

I'm like 140 miles south of KSC in Palm Beach County.

When satellites launch, we can run out and face N/NE and see the stuff going up quite well, at least at night.

It's pretty amazing how clearly and obviously you can see the rockets.

I will try to do the same tomorrow if it's a clear day; we have had a ton of rain and gray skies down here for almost a week now.

I bet I will be able to see it in daylight if the sky is clear.

Anyone else do this?

I was in Clearwater once during a shuttle launch.  Saw it pretty clearly.

• Thank you (+1) 1