1981 MNF Dolphins at Bills

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Jerry Butler was so good. Just a damned shame he got hurt and had his career cut short. 

Yeah, Butler was just fantastic -- smooth,  fast, strong, crafty and great hands. With him and Cribbs, we thought the Bills were set on offense for years to come. Then Butler blew out his knee, and Cribbs flew the coop.  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I was wondering how long it would take Ken Jones to be called for holding...  it didn't take long!

LOL ... right on. I remember one game when Ken Jones was a rookie (against Jets?) where he had three holding calls. The next day the Buffalo Evening News Sports Page had a little picture of Jones with the caption "the goat". But he ended up having a solid 10+ year career with the Bills.

Also, did you also catch the Offside call on Fred Smerlas at the end of the first half? At least he jumped off on that play. Usually he'd get the "lined up in the neutral zone" call -- while lined up directly over the center! It used to drive me and my brothers crazy. And then he'd just stand there with that dumb look on his face, pointing that big ol' grizzly bear arm of his towards the offensive line, waiting for the refs to sort it out ... :D  Good times, man.

edit: Smerlas jumped Offside TWICE in that same drive!  ?

Edited by Stranded in Boston

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

At the 46 minute mark, they flashed to this hanging on the wall.

WTF? Was something going on with gas bills those days, or is that just a really lame sign that someone spent a lot time putting together.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.c0a168a9e8a84be2c3b9ed92859280f8.jpg

I miss the home made signs.  I helped hang a few up when a person could do that sort of thing at a NFL game.

9 hours ago, LB48 said:

Thank you for sharing this!   Can you or anyone find a video of the Bills home game vs. Kansas City from 1973????  OJ went over 1000 yards at the mid-point of the season.  It was an ABC Monday night game.  It has apparently 'vanished' from the archives!!!!!

Was at that game. Halloween was that weekend.  Tons of fans in costumes,

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I miss the home made signs.  I helped hang a few up when a person could do that sort of thing at a NFL game.

I made one for all three of the 90s home AFC Championship games...two made it on TV.  Those were fun days; we’d go into the stadium early and go down to hang them over the wall.

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

As were his Halftime Highlights.

Listening to him narrate what had happened in the NFL just the day before was so thrilling, even though you already knew how the games turned out.

Cosell's Halftime highlights were iconic.    Even with school the next day, I did not dare go to bed until after the highlights.  For most games I lobbied to stay up late and keep watching into the 2nd half. 

When MNF started  there were very few NFL highlights shows.  Nothing like today at all. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Dude...that was $ per liter! 

(jk)

But once you translated it into gallons it was significant.  I lived in the Riverside area at that time (right over the city line in Town of Tonawanda) and used to go to Canada to gas up.  I even bought a Peace Bridge coupon book so I could save more money & I only had a 10.5 gallon tank on my VW Rabbit. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

14 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

As were his Halftime Highlights.

Listening to him narrate what had happened in the NFL just the day before was so thrilling, even though you already knew how the games turned out.

25 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Cosell's Halftime highlights were iconic.    Even with school the next day, I did not dare go to bed until after the highlights.  For most games I lobbied to stay up late and keep watching into the 2nd half. 

When MNF started  there were very few NFL highlights shows.  Nothing like today at all. 

^ these.  I couldn't wait for the highlights and was always disappointed if (when) they didn't show Bills highlights after a big win.  I always watched MNF with my dad and got to stay up late because he inevitably fell asleep.  I'd wake him up around midnight when I'd head upstairs to go to bed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Dude...that was $ per liter! 

(jk)

After conversion for difference in measurement, gas was cheaper in Canada for a short while.

I like the "Sunday Night Special" the following week -- 4-2 Rams at 4-2 Cowboys; Sunday Night games were a treat.  I honestly think now there are too many games spread out over too many days; back then NFL games were something to look forward to.  Today, I feel that it is taken for granted.  Really cool to watch these games from yesteryear.

9 hours ago, Happy said:

I like the "Sunday Night Special" the following week -- 4-2 Rams at 4-2 Cowboys; Sunday Night games were a treat.  I honestly think now there are too many games spread out over too many days; back then NFL games were something to look forward to.  Today, I feel that it is taken for granted.  Really cool to watch these games from yesteryear.

Throw in CFB and you have games 4 days a week. I like it though. The majority of shows and stuff that are on TV are crap so more football is better IMHO.