1981 MNF Dolphins at Bills

Talking Proud!

Loved those early 80s teams - the playoff loss the year before to SD with Fergy on one leg was so disappointing

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

At the 46 minute mark, they flashed to this hanging on the wall.

WTF? Was something going on with gas bills those days, or is that just a really lame sign that someone spent a lot time putting together.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.c0a168a9e8a84be2c3b9ed92859280f8.jpg

People were corny in those days.

27 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I was wondering how long it would take Ken Jones to be called for holding...  it didn't take long!

When I was growing up I could have sworn one member of the Bills OL's actual name was Holding On Will Grant.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

WTF? Was something going on with gas bills those days, or is that just a really lame sign that someone spent a lot time putting together.

Gas prices at the pump rose slowly over many years until the 1970's when they really started to rise. But in 1980/81 they had an unprecedented spike. 

There was a lot of unrest in the Middle East, OPEC actions, etc. There were even US citizens held as hostages in Iran, if you ever heard of that event. 

Anyway, gas prices were a huge topic then. So this sign was topical albeit corny. 

• Like (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Gas prices at the pump rose slowly over many years until the 1970's when they really started to rise. But in 1980/81 they had an unprecedented spike. 

There was a lot of unrest in the Middle East, OPEC actions, etc. There were even US citizens held as hostages in Iran, if you ever heard of that event. 

Anyway, gas prices were a huge topic then. So this sign was topical albeit corny. 

Yep, you nailed it. This chart was from 2015, but shows what was going on 1980/81 (and when this game was played).

I was only 10 at the time, so didn't really matter to me, I guess, back then.

Graph showing the annual average gasoline pump price from 1929 to 2015.

3 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

"I'll drive but I need a dollar from everyone for gas".

Cut into the late night Mighty money, but good times nonetheless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Cosell’s pregame pump-up was legendary.  It has never been approached. 

As were his Halftime Highlights.

Listening to him narrate what had happened in the NFL just the day before was so thrilling, even though you already knew how the games turned out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The best sign I saw at a Bills game was:

”Lets go Buffal.  We are missing an O”

I think this was the Rob Johnson years when our O was disgustingly bad.

• Haha (+1) 1

Thank you for sharing this!   Can you or anyone find a video of the Bills home game vs. Kansas City from 1973????  OJ went over 1000 yards at the mid-point of the season.  It was an ABC Monday night game.  It has apparently 'vanished' from the archives!!!!!