Dan Orlovsky just did AFCE QB rankings on ESPN. Had Allen at #3!

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think DO (who I like a lot) has been great at giving Allen credit and critiquing his faults.  And I get why the MT thing bother people but Allen had essentially the same second year as him.  And guess who was high on that favorite drop ball stat list? Mitchell. One less than the Bills.   Imagine his numbers if all his wrs caught his passes!!!

But to be fair, given what we have watched at QB for 20 years, we have a warped view on Qb play.  200 yards passing is not celebrated by other fan bases like it is here.  We seen bottom 5 qb play for 20 years.  

Yeah, I would have had no issue with the Trubisky question 1 year ago. It isn’t reasonable at this point though to ask “who will have the better career?” Trubisky may not even start. That’s a troll move. I’d listen to Tua or Allen though. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Which he puts in his bio and owns.

but typical attack the messenger post.  If former guys who started nfl games can’t criticize qbs, how can any of us?  Pretty simple way to think.

Yeah, what an insane statement (though McDermott might think different!)

Sarcasm is lost on you I guess.

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me I used to do it all the time.  We both completely overrate guys we like and underrate guys we don’t (Gilmore).  If Allen was on another team, we would view him as the weakness of a really good time a la Trubisky or Bortles.  

but again, Allen has all the power to change this.

If Allen, and the team around him, were another NFL franchise and I saw as many of his snaps as I have, I'd have the same (high) opinion of him as I do now. Maybe I'm not a good analyst, but I'm not a homer.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I would have had no issue with the Trubisky question 1 year ago. It isn’t reasonable at this point though to ask “who will have the better career?” Trubisky may not even start. That’s a troll move. I’d listen to Tua or Allen though. 

I definitely see your point but honestly, Allen’s and Trubisky’s passing stats weren’t that much different (Allen destroys him rushing).  

I think the Bears are going to give him every chance to win the job and while I never liked the pick, he’s not good but he’s not as bad as he is made out to be.  Definitely would rather Allen but I don’t think the slight is as crazy as you do. JMO obviously.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

If Allen, and the team around him, were another NFL franchise and I saw as many of his snaps as I have, I'd have the same (high) opinion of him as I do now. Maybe I'm not a good analyst, but I'm not a homer.

I respect your opinion.  I do know that when I was trying to hope for the best for things with Bills qbs, I would cling to certain things and ignore others.  Allen does great things at times but it’s so inconsistent.  Everyone loves the game winning drives but if we had better offense, those games could have been over well before the 4th quarter.  

ive always stated my biggest problem with the Allen pick is it’s all projection and the guy really has had very few dominant all game performances.  But I hope I’m wrong and the best thing is this team is so good, it might not even matter if Allen is that good.  But it could be a SB contender with good QB play. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I definitely see your point but honestly, Allen’s and Trubisky’s passing stats weren’t that much different (Allen destroys him rushing).  

I think the Bears are going to give him every chance to win the job and while I never liked the pick, he’s not good but he’s not as bad as he is made out to be.  Definitely would rather Allen but I don’t think the slight is as crazy as you do. JMO obviously.

If he was comfortably a starter I’d listen. I actually don’t think Trubisky is as bad as people think. With that being said PFF has admitted to trolling Bills fans for clicks (ie Duck over Allen). They did the Trubisky thing and then just picked Allen. That way if Trubisky never plays again they can fall back to “well we did say that Allen would have a better career.” I actually would have respected it more if one of them picked Trubisky.

Anyways, I digress from the thread. I don’t have an issue with Orlovsky thinking that but I don’t agree with him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

How can a QB who's never taken a snap in the NFL be better than Allen or Darnold?

It’s not who has shown to be better.  It’s who they think is better.  Pretty easy to rank both ahead of allen imo.  I personally would take allen over both, but I’m a homer!

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he was comfortably a starter I’d listen. I actually don’t think Trubisky is as bad as people think. With that being said PFF has admitted to trolling Bills fans for clicks (ie Duck over Allen). They did the Trubisky thing and then just picked Allen. That way if Trubisky never plays again they can fall back to “well we did say that Allen would have a better career.” I actually would have respected it more if one of them picked Trubisky.

Anyways, I digress from the thread. I don’t have an issue with Orlovsky thinking that but I don’t agree with him.

If they would have picked MT than everyone would know they were trolling for clicks.  It’s pretty impossible to think that MT is better than JA after last season.

Ie: the above post.  Trolling for clicks

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I know these rankings don't mean anything at all, but until the season starts, we have nothing better to talk about.  This is ridiculous. He ranked Darnold number 1, Tua at #2! then Allen and then Stidham.  How the hell can you rank Tua higher than Allen after everything he accomplished so far?   I am fine with him favoring Darnold right now, even though I disagree, but come on! Tua?

We are getting a lot of love right now from the media, so this isn't a media bashing thread, just a statement at how bad Orlovsky's take is.  He seems to have an agenda against Josh Allen, which he continues to attribute to "inaccuracy".

Tua hasn’t played one snap in the NFL. Wow can we reach any further for a story

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I respect your opinion.  I do know that when I was trying to hope for the best for things with Bills qbs, I would cling to certain things and ignore others.  Allen does great things at times but it’s so inconsistent.  Everyone loves the game winning drives but if we had better offense, those games could have been over well before the 4th quarter.  

ive always stated my biggest problem with the Allen pick is it’s all projection and the guy really has had very few dominant all game performances.  But I hope I’m wrong and the best thing is this team is so good, it might not even matter if Allen is that good.  But it could be a SB contender with good QB play. 

True, he is inconsistent (a function of a sandlot background, a crooked path to the NFL and of having a lot to learn), but the selection of "great things" he does at times are literally all the things that you want a QB to be able to do. Not a one or two trick phoney. He can and has made all the throws. As a runner he's a load. I can't say he's sure to break out this year but I expect noticeable improvement again.

31 minutes ago, Clutchwarfare said:

Every time I see articles/rankings like this, it makes me wonder if I'm blinded by loyalty; if I'm just too focused on the Buffalo Bills to realize that Josh really is more toward the bottom of the pack. In my mind he's a franchise QB and knocking on the door of the top 10. But nationwide, people just don't see it that way. Maybe it was the lack of prime time games in his 1st two seasons.

People constantly overlook the playoff appearance and even the fact that he had more rushing TDs than Lamar Jackson.  

So my question is: Are we crazy, or is the nationwide NFL audience blind? Probably a combo of both.

I’d probably go Miami, Buffalo, New York, New England.  That said, any order is reasonable.  

I was watching the Cleveland game yesterday after the thread about it.  There was a play deep in Browns territory where Allen scrambled and held the ball loosely.  He got hit and fumbled.  The ball bounced off a Brown, and a Lineman for the Bills fell on it a foot from the goal line.  Josh ran a QB sneak on the next play for a TD.  It was a terrible play by Josh, but it wound up being a TD on the stat sheet because he got incredibly lucky and was bailed out.  

So yes, it’s accurate to say that he had more rushing TDs than Lamar, but I think most neutral observers place very little importance on that fact because the 4 TD runs he had from the 1 yard line are more a function of Daboll calling QB sneaks as opposed to other teams who hand it to their RB in those situations.  If those teams called for sneaks the way Daboll does, every QB in the league would have more rushing TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

I just don't get what Darnold has done to be ranked by anyone above Allen. I don't think he's a bad QB or anything, he just hasn't done anything in the NFL. I think Allen has shown a lot more.

Tua is a rookie, so there's a lot of projecting there. He could be good or he could be a bust. Tough to even include rookies in rankings, in my opinion. Plus he's not even the starter yet. Fitz will start the season.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

So Stidham is a better QB than Tua?

That's an unknown because neither have really played in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just don't get what Darnold has done to be ranked by anyone above Allen. I don't think he's a bad QB or anything, he just hasn't done anything in the NFL. I think Allen has shown a lot more.

Tua is a rookie, so there's a lot of projecting there. He could be good or he could be a bust. Tough to even include rookies in rankings, in my opinion. Plus he's not even the starter yet. Fitz will start the season.

That's an unknown because neither have really played in the NFL.

Stidham has taken NFL snaps though. Surely that means he’s better than guys that haven’t. Right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Joe Marino from locked on Bills podcast also had him ranked 3rd behind darnold and ritz.

I don’t think it’s worth defending any low ranking of a QB with under 200yards/game and <60%completion percentage in his first two years. Even though you could say a lot of that has to do with his supporting cast/offensive scheme. 

It’s not unreasonable to think Tua could be better than that out of the gate. it’s just someone’s opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Tua hasn’t played one snap in the NFL. Wow can we reach any further for a story

It’s a dude’s opinion......this isn’t science gents.  Get a grip

• Like (+1) 1