Still Taking a Vacation this Summer?

1 hour ago, Guffalo said:

This pretty much cancels our annual trip to the family cottage in Ridgeway ON. Will be the first time in 38 years I didn't spend at least one week up there.  We are now looking anywhere from Maine to virginia along the coast, but also looking at lake areas like the finger lakes and Winnepesakee in NH as a possible place for a week. We are open to any ideas.

A couple times on the way to our cottages we stopped at Brimstone Brewing Company. And I used to date a girl whose family owned a place in Thunder Bay. Nice area. Still wished the old Ridgeway bar/restaurant on Rte 3 was stil open.

18 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

In the same boat.  I have been vacationing (renting) in Canada every summer, save 2 or 3, for my entire life.  This one looks in serious jeopardy.  I too am looking at possibly getting up in September. If they institute beer delivery In Ontario I would have no problem staying isolated at the cottage.  Typically I pretty much stay put once there anyway. Will surely miss it if the border stays closed

Ontario has beer delivery. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

A couple times on the way to our cottages we stopped at Brimstone Brewing Company. And I used to date a girl whose family owned a place in Thunder Bay. Nice area. Still wished the old Ridgeway bar/restaurant on Rte 3 was stil open.

That place has changed ownership a few times but it still lives on (at least it was last summer). Food was decent the last few times we went in. A relatively new place in Ridgeway, Trackside or Trailside is a nice place for appetizers or dinner. Directly across from the Beer store. I am missing it already!

10 hours ago, Guffalo said:

That place has changed ownership a few times but it still lives on (at least it was last summer). Food was decent the last few times we went in. A relatively new place in Ridgeway, Trackside or Trailside is a nice place for appetizers or dinner. Directly across from the Beer store. I am missing it already!

Trailside is the old McLeod Hotel.  The only bar, I swear, that you would go to in the late 70s to meet up with friends, look 3 tables over, and see their parents.  Six tables over were their grandparents.

The Ridge House burned in early 2016 (at least one of the upper apartments), and never reopened as a tavern / restaurant.  A dive, but it had a good sandwich menu; a good place for a beer and lunch.

If the damned border ever reopens, South Coast at Derby and Erie roads in Crystal Beach has a killer beer selection.  The only place where I have seen Molson Stock ale in both bottles and draught; good selection of premiums as well.  EDIT:  Good food, too.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Trailside is the old McLeod Hotel.  The only bar, I swear, that you would go to in the late 70s to meet up with friends, look 3 tables over, and see their parents.  Six tables over were their grandparents.

The Ridge House burned in early 2016 (at least one of the upper apartments), and never reopened as a tavern / restaurant.  A dive, but it had a good sandwich menu; a good place for a beer and lunch.

If the damned border ever reopens, South Coast at Derby and Erie roads in Crystal Beach has a killer beer selection.  The only place where I have seen Molson Stock ale in both bottles and draught; good selection of premiums as well.

My favorite of the big brewery offerings. Sometimes the beer store in Dunville (near where we go) is sold out for weeks. So I do a bit of research to see which Beer Stores have it on the way up.  And The Ridge House was the place I was referring to. Way back when the place was fun. I remember the McLeod Hotel, too.

34 minutes ago, The Dean said:

My favorite of the big brewery offerings. Sometimes the beer store in Dunville (near where we go) is sold out for weeks. So I do a bit of research to see which Beer Stores have it on the way up.  And The Ridge House was the place I was referring to. Way back when the place was fun. I remember the McLeod Hotel, too.

Years ago, a neighbour told me that a Molson Brewery worker from Toronto said Molson Sock is only sold in full 24 bottle cases, as Molson wanted to discourage 'casual' buyers.  Apparently the reason for this being the cost of the ingredients was that high that splintering the production by offering in six or twelve packs might result in more 'out of date' product being returned and dumped.  If you're buying a case of Molson Stock, Molson wants to know you are 'all in'.  ?

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

A month ago, my wife's place in Cape Cod had only one week rented for the whole summer.  As soon as SIP started relaxing a bit, the calls started rolling in;  now it's booked solid into September.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Tentatively planning a week in Charleston and Hilton Head at the end of July.  Its not the Bali trip we had imagined but it will do.

we had a euro trip planned with another family, looks like that is cooked. Wife started looking at OBX and other beach places...appears everyone else who had a euro trip planned is now also going to the beach. Found some nice houses...for $16K a week!

Edited by plenzmd1

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

we had a euro trip planned with another family, looks like that is cooked. Wife started looking at OBX and other beach places...appears everyone else who had a euro trip planned is now also going to the beach. Found some nice houses...for $16K a week!

We did one of those houses 2 years ago in Nags Head and are trying to lock the same one in for next summer.  When you can fit 25 people in the house and you're right on the ocean it's a pretty good deal.

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

A Big Hitter like you should snap up a month while they are still available!

Due to the now postponed son’s wedding, our next euro trip was scheduled for fall of 2021. I didn’t want it so far away, now I’m thankful! Looks like next year will be packed. 

I like it hot, but Hilton Head and Charleston in the summer test even me. Hotter and more humid than south Florida (center of the state another matter). I remember the last 10 minutes of an afternoon tennis lesson in HHI thinking “I just might actually die here”. We stopped early, the pro saying “technically, we are not supposed to be out here”.   When I lived there I could sweat thru my suit in 100 steps between the office and my car. That has to be heavily beach and pool dominated. 

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

We did one of those houses 2 years ago in Nags Head and are trying to lock the same one in for next summer.  When you can fit 25 people in the house and you're right on the ocean it's a pretty good deal.

Problem is, these are for 4-6 bedrooms..granted mac daddy houses,but designed for two families. 

Demand has gone through the roof for beach houses, people making a killing right now that had not booked their places pre Covid

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

A Big Hitter like you should snap up a month while they are still available!

Due to the now postponed son’s wedding, our next euro trip was scheduled for fall of 2021. I didn’t want it so far away, now I’m thankful! Looks like next year will be packed. 

I like it hot, but Hilton Head and Charleston in the summer test even me. Hotter and more humid than south Florida (center of the state another matter). I remember the last 10 minutes of an afternoon tennis lesson in HHI thinking “I just might actually die here”. We stopped early, the pro saying “technically, we are not supposed to be out here”.   When I lived there I could sweat thru my suit in 100 steps between the office and my car. That has to be heavily beach and pool dominated. 

Told ya dude, no need to postpone the wedding..me and crew be there. Your son knows and loves us, lets roll!

As the old man used to say, looks like a Veranda Beach vacation this year!

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Told ya dude, no need to postpone the wedding..me and crew be there. Your son knows and loves us, lets roll!

As the old man used to say, looks like a Veranda Beach vacation this year!

They would love to have you and your crew at the wedding, but they also hope to buy a house one day. Your bar bill may set them back a decade, so don’t hold your breath. As you said, he knows your gang! 

I think of you more as a bachelor party crowd. You know.....with or without a wedding. You have that kind of vibe. 

As for beach rentals, every time we go back to Hilton Head, I end up looking at condos to buy, usually around Harbor Town. They rent up fast, and stay booked all summer long. It’s crazy, and makes me want to buy one. I just don’t want to feel compelled to go to the same vacation spot every year. BUT, if someone is paying for our place, maybe that pays for us to rent in the mountains on a lake? 

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Tentatively planning a week in Charleston and Hilton Head at the end of July.  Its not the Bali trip we had imagined but it will do.

Since we had to bag Aruba in April and almost certainly will be bagging our Annual fall wine & dine 1/2 marathon at Disney we decided to do 5 nights in Hilton head before Labor Day with just the wife & kiddo. Her aunt lives in Charlotte so convenient stop for a night at least on the way down to break up the drive. When we leave we may drive all the way straight to WNY, looking at a lake house for the holiday weekend with a bunch of friends. Maybe Chautauqua lake. Should be like training camp for the liver before football season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Years ago, a neighbour told me that a Molson Brewery worker from Toronto said Molson Sock is only sold in full 24 bottle cases, as Molson wanted to discourage 'casual' buyers.  Apparently the reason for this being the cost of the ingredients was that high that splintering the production by offering in six or twelve packs might result in more 'out of date' product being returned and dumped.  If you're buying a case of Molson Stock, Molson wants to know you are 'all in'.  ?

Not doubting your story, but that really doesn't seem to make sense (unless I'm not understanding). It is true Stock is only sold in 24 bottle cases. But why would selling in smaller units result in more out of date returns? It should be quicker to finish a 6 pack, or a 12 pack, than the entire case? Are they thinking people will buy a 6 pack and not like it, so wait until it goes out of date then return it? Can consumers return beer to the Beer Store (and well after purchase}?

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not doubting your story, but that really doesn't seem to make sense (unless I'm not understanding). It is true Stock is only sold in 24 bottle cases. But why would selling in smaller units result in more out of date returns? It should be quicker to finish a 6 pack, or a 12 pack, than the entire case? Are they thinking people will buy a 6 pack and not like it, so wait until it goes out of date then return it? Can consumers return beer to the Beer Store (and well after purchase}?

I agree, some of the logic escapes me, but I understand Stock has a limited clientele, far more likely to purchase and consume the full case than a casual beer sampler.  I recall a time when you could not make a case from smaller lots; I do not know if that remains in effect.  If I want a case of 24 Sleeman Porter and they're out, I cannot grab two 12s, or four 6s at the same price.  I pay the two times 12, or four times 6 pack price.  I don't know if that is throughout Brewers Retail, or up to the individual store's discretion.  As for 'bad' product, it can be returned anytime (remember Amstel in the light green bottles?), but Brewers Retail are tasked with ensuring no out of date product is sold.  All I can figure is some accountant in Montreal did a cost study and determined that they would make the greatest profit selling Stock in cases of 24 only.  

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I agree, some of the logic escapes me, but I understand Stock has a limited clientele, far more likely to purchase and consume the full case than a casual beer sampler.  I recall a time when you could not make a case from smaller lots; I do not know if that remains in effect.  If I want a case of 24 Sleeman Porter and they're out, I cannot grab two 12s, or four 6s at the same price.  I pay the two times 12, or four times 6 pack price.  I don't know if that is throughout Brewers Retail, or up to the individual store's discretion.  As for 'bad' product, it can be returned anytime (remember Amstel in the light green bottles?), but Brewers Retail are tasked with ensuring no out of date product is sold.  All I can figure is some accountant in Montreal did a cost study and determined that they would make the greatest profit selling Stock in cases of 24 only.  

As good of an explanation as I can think of. And I have never had a Beer Store (or Brewer's Retail before them) bundle two 12's or four 6's for the price of a case. So my guess is, it's company wide.

From what several Beer Store employees have told me (at various stores) only Americans visiting, and a few real old timer Canadians, drink the stuff. I believe Bud products are now the biggest sellers in Canada, or so I've heard. So sad.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

As good of an explanation as I can think of. And I have never had a Beer Store (or Brewer's Retail before them) bundle two 12's or four 6's for the price of a case. So my guess is, it's company wide.

From what several Beer Store employees have told me (at various stores) only Americans visiting, and a few real old timer Canadians, drink the stuff. I believe Bud products are now the biggest sellers in Canada, or so I've heard. So sad.

My local beer store (In Ontario) it is common to get 2 12 packs for the 24 price if they are out of stock of the 24’s. 

10 minutes ago, thebug said:

My local beer store (In Ontario) it is common to get 2 12 packs for the 24 price if they are out of stock of the 24’s. 

That's a refreshing story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1