Still Taking a Vacation this Summer?

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have no idea if they would have or not.  Glad I didn’t have to find out.  I have been hearing some sketchy stories, however, about airlines/resorts giving people a hard time offering vouchers instead of refunds.

I got airline vouchers instead of refunds for our PR trip.

Airbnb reached out to ME to tell me I was being refunded.  I didn't even have to ask.  And it was the company .. not the property owner.

Rental Car was refunded, no questions asked.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I got airline vouchers instead of refunds for our PR trip.

Airbnb reached out to ME to tell me I was being refunded.  I didn't even have to ask.  And it was the company .. not the property owner.

Rental Car was refunded, no questions asked.

A bit off topic but you should never rent a car without free cancellation. Rates change and if you  don't mind checking in on rates daily or weekly you can save some money. I've saved over $750 by reserving early, making a new reservation and canceling the previous multiple times.

As for summer vacation, none for us. We had a Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Monument Valley trip planned for April that got scrapped. For the record I would have had an all-time steal on that rental car as it got closer to the date. 

Cancelled Aruba late April with the wife & 3.5 year old. Woulda been our first time there and first trip as just the three of us so bummed on that one. Usually do Disney in November for a week and run the food & wine festival 1/2 marathon. We registered for the race to the tune of about $200 each before all this hit and I know it’s opening back up mid July but may just have to sit this year out since we usually travel with the grandparents and it’s obv one of the most communal gathering spots on earth. If that doesn’t happen may try to do Hilton head or some other domestic / drivable beach trip with just the three of us in late summer / early fall.

We’re scheduled for Bills in Vegas but we’ll see. Planning on a ski trip with friends that own a ski condo in Montana in January 2021, hope that’s at least safe at this point. Obviously much bigger issues at hand and just thankful to be healthy & both still gainfully employed but after lockdown with a 3 year old (where I’m doing most of the childcare due to wife’s job), all I know is that I’ll be ready for something! 

We were due to go to Majorca on 1st August. It was touch and go whether we'd be able to travel and/or have restrictions on what we can do when we get there and possible quarantine on our return to the UK.

To remove any of the worry we took the travel companies offer of being able to amend our holiday without a charge. So we re-booked for July next year but managed to get an extra day, private airport transfers and extra baggage allowance for the same price of the original holiday.

We felt doing this would take away any worry of anxieties we have about going away this summer. Our 9 year old took the news remarkably well ?

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:12 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I will come and be in the crowd if they want some "extras"...tell your son i can bring my crew too, think he woould jump at that

UPDATE: As of today the wedding date has been moved to 2021. (Church wedding with parents only still goes off as planned in August.) The exact date shall remain unpublished for fear that you and the crew try to crash the party and send this young couple into bankruptcy due to the bar bill! :)

Proud of them for making the right decision despite the possible jump in cost if she can no longer qualify for the big employee discount. Some things are more important than money.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Had booked a 2 week cruise to th Baltic countries that was supposed to start on Easter. That burned up quicker than the Wuhan virus. 

Im retired and live in Cape Cod. Every day is a Saturday and I’m in A vacation destination. Just had the boat put in the water in Hyannis. I plan to do as much fishing as I can. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Was supposed to go to Universal Studios June 20th with my family, my mom and in-laws, but are in the process of canceling. It's not so much the virus, as it is of paying premium money for a second rate experience due to the restrictions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Had 5 days in Napa wine country July 23-28th for 50th BD. We cancelled. Got hotel refund (even though it was non-refundable and plane ticket credits to use for 2 years)

• Sad 1

Probably heading to WNY in August and no I don't.  

On 5/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, qwksilver said:

Had 5 days in Napa wine country July 23-28th for 50th BD. We cancelled. Got hotel refund (even though it was non-refundable and plane ticket credits to use for 2 years)

We did a company trip there last year and stayed at Meadowood.  It was awesome especially when we didn't have to pay for it.  When we lived up there we loved Sonoma a lot more than Napa but won't say no to a free trip to that resort.  

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Probably heading to WNY in August and no I don't.  

We did a company trip there last year and stayed at Meadowood.  It was awesome especially when we didn't have to pay for it.  When we lived up there we loved Sonoma a lot more than Napa but won't say no to a free trip to that resort.  

Free is the way to go! We've been up there about 5 times. Sonoma is more laid back/family feel to it and Napa is way more corporate. Awesome wine all over the map up there. We'd like to reschedule for April 2021 but no rush to re-book.

2 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Free is the way to go! We've been up there about 5 times. Sonoma is more laid back/family feel to it and Napa is way more corporate. Awesome wine all over the map up there. We'd like to reschedule for April 2021 but no rush to re-book.

I lived in the Bay Area of almost 10 year so we visited a ton.  Sonoma 30 times the three years alone.  I will tell you why we preferred Sonoma.  Yes the wine is better in Napa but it's a pain to get to and because it's smaller than Sonoma a lot more crowded.  And what Sonoma has a lot more of than Napa?  CHEESE!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:30 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just scheduled my third one. Myrtle beach

Can you confirm, I've heard the beaches are off limits to out-of-staters in MB

We'd have been in Nashville right now

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Can you confirm, I've heard the beaches are off limits to out-of-staters in MB

We'd have been in Nashville right now

I have not heard that. But I will be looking into it. We aren’t going for another 2 weeks.

edit. Just read somethings that say out of state people should self quarantine for two weeks before going and follow social distancing when there. People I’m going with said they weren’t allowing New Yorkers and a few other states but that stopped about a month ago.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:14 PM, qwksilver said:

Went last fall for our 10 year and had an absolute blast. First time we had been out there, definitely not the last. Stayed at the Westin in Napa on points, was a great central spot. Did a small group tour one day of some Sonoma wineries, did a day exploring on our own and then did a private tour of 3 really small / family owned type places the last day. Ate tons of good good. I think we ate at hog island oyster company over in oxbow public market like 3 times!