Still Taking a Vacation this Summer?

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The old Irishman I worked with maintained he took the annual plant shutdown / vacation at 'Lard Lake'.  Invariably, a newer worker would ask "where's that?"

"Up a pig's arse" old Gallagher would reply.

My dad called our stay at home vacations "Veranda Beach Vacations"

Spent the memorial day weekend at Nags Head..not sure if that is really a vacation thoughg

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Canceled our fall cruise, our Jan/Feb cruise is still on (Antarctica, and then we'd like a month in Chile after that) for now.

Hubby and I talked about driving across country again this summer. It depends on how open things get.  Right now, it would be difficult to travel parts of the US with hotels still closed in some areas, and restaurants still not open (or only 25% open) in other areas. Maybe by August or September we can get out and see the USA (not in a Chevrolet) again.

We would both love to go back to Europe and finish our trip in Spain (it ended two weeks early this past March). I am not sure when that will be able to happen. I hope soon!

AFAIK, we are still on for an Eastern Euro trip in mid august. BA not letting you move flights yet i dont think that far out..we going if we can for sure . And BTW, who do you travel in September ? Bills home games, awesome weather in Buffalo...and Bills home games!

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Similar situation. Our son’s parent-only church wedding in mid-August will take us to Sarasota, FL. They are scheduled for 8/28 in Asheville, NC at the Omni Grove Park Inn for the “public wedding”. They have until 5/29 to back out and get a full refund, which I hope they do. We have family who are hesitant to fly, and they know some may not attend.

I will come and be in the crowd if they want some "extras"...tell your son i can bring my crew too, think he woould jump at that

Edited by plenzmd1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I will come and be in the crowd if they want some "extras"...tell your son i can bring my crew too, think he woould jump at that

You bring the crew and I’m afraid we’d have to go with a cash bar! They don’t want to lose another $10k! 

On the bright side, maybe they could cancel the band, your crew could serve as live entertainment!  :)

(The fiancé is a former wedding planner. She says spend your money on the band, nobody is going to remember the food, but the band sets the vibe for the whole event. Makes sense to me looking back on what’s memorable from weddings I’ve attended.)

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

AFAIK, we are still on for an Eastern Euro trip in mid august. BA not letting you move flights yet i dont think that far out..we going if we can for sure . And BTW, who do you travel in September ? Bills home games, awesome weather in Buffalo...and Bills home games!

You are correct. The choices have not been mine the last few years. I prefer to travel Jan-March as I am not a big fan of winter sports.

We were on a cruise for the Super Bowl this year, and wow was it a nice set-up. Since we didn't care who won or lost, it was a nice atmosphere of American football minded people (we were in New Zealand), and a few people who came in for the halftime show. :blink: Trying to explain to them how long it would be until it happened was fun! :P (It was about 5 minutes before half.)  Basically, it was like being in a bar with plush seating, free food, and free booze. Can't beat that.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

we were going to go to lake george in june, but canceled those.  we spend a lot of time up in the thousand islands at sackets harbor.  i was there last week, and as beautiful as the weather was, none of the restaurants or bars were open obviously.  the problem is a lot will be closed for the entire season.  another popular place burned down and there doesn't seem to be any thoughts on rebuilding.  even the most popular place is up for sale.  there's a large outdoor seating area that looks completely overgrown.  i feel between the flooding the lasts couple of years and now covid...the place has really died out.

5 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

Has your vacation plans been canceled? Or delayed? Or on hold this year due to the virus? Or do you still plan on taking a vacation? 

Yes! Got a beach condo reserved in NC. I can quarantine just as well on the beach. Even in summer the crowds where we go are manageable.

My son and I had a week's vacation scheduled in April which, obviously, never happened.

For summer, we'd just planned on our annual 3-day/night weekend in NYC, which is likely not going to happen.  We also have a friend's annual pig roast in western PA scheduled for early August that is still scheduled.

Then there's the early season Bills game (not really summer) that is in jeopardy if the NFL goes fan-less.

Working on a possible fishing trip (2-nights .. maybe 3) with some buddies.

I've taken exactly ONE day off in 2020, so I've got some time and I intend to fill this summer with as much fun as possible with my son.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, teef said:

we were going to go to lake george in june, but canceled those.  we spend a lot of time up in the thousand islands at sackets harbor.  i was there last week, and as beautiful as the weather was, none of the restaurants or bars were open obviously.  the problem is a lot will be closed for the entire season.  another popular place burned down and there doesn't seem to be any thoughts on rebuilding.  even the most popular place is up for sale.  there's a large outdoor seating area that looks completely overgrown.  i feel between the flooding the lasts couple of years and now covid...the place has really died out.

Lake George is great! I go there almost every year. I might still go in August. It won't be as fun as it can be, but it can still be fun relaxing at the beach and ordering takeout. Maybe more attractions will open up by then. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My son and I had a week's vacation scheduled in April which, obviously, never happened.

For summer, we'd just planned on our annual 3-day/night weekend in NYC, which is likely not going to happen.  We also have a friend's annual pig roast in western PA scheduled for early August that is still scheduled.

Then there's the early season Bills game (not really summer) that is in jeopardy if the NFL goes fan-less.

Working on a possible fishing trip (2-nights .. maybe 3) with some buddies.

I've taken exactly ONE day off in 2020, so I've got some time and I intend to fill this summer with as much fun as possible with my son.

How often do you go to the  Lake George Village area since being near by? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Lake George is great! I go there almost every year. I might still go in August. It won't be as fun as it can be, but it can still be fun relaxing at the beach and ordering takeout. Maybe more attractions will open up by then. 

How often do you go to the  Lake George Village area since being near by? 

I live less than 10 minutes from the village.  We hardly ever go, but it is a nice little village.  Sometimes we'll go there, walk around and catch a bite to eat.

Million Dollar beach will be open this weekend.  Other beaches will be open at the end of June, according to the Mayor.

My guess is that by July 4th, things will be back to normal.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I live less than 10 minutes from the village.  We hardly ever go, but it is a nice little village.  Sometimes we'll go there, walk around and catch a bite to eat.

Million Dollar beach will be open this weekend.  Other beaches will be open at the end of June, according to the Mayor.

My guess is that by July 4th, things will be back to normal.

I would love to live 10 minutes away from there. But you probably get sick of it after a while. I wonder if they will have their annual Thursday night fireworks this year? 

Just now, Halloween Land said:

I would love to live 10 minutes away from there. But you probably get sick of it after a while. I wonder if they will have their annual Thursday night fireworks this year? 

I would imagine they will.  I can hear them, but can't see them, from my house.  A lot of people like them, so I hope they can keep it going.

We're not beach people, otherwise we'd head to LG all the time!  My ex and my son have a tradition of going to the annual car show, there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I would imagine they will.  I can hear them, but can't see them, from my house.  A lot of people like them, so I hope they can keep it going.

We're not beach people, otherwise we'd head to LG all the time!  My ex and my son have a tradition of going to the annual car show, there.

If we DO vacation, we may actually be up your way.

I'll let you know

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

If we DO vacation, we may actually be up your way.

I'll let you know

Definitely let me know.  Beers must be had.

• Like (+1) 1

Last night we received an email from Air New Zealand informing us that our August flights to the Cook Islands (Rarotonga and Aitutaki) have been canceled. 

Bugger!

I was so looking forward to escaping our winter.

• Sad 1

We still have two weeks booked in Cape May, NJ in July. The hotel just opened up. The rooms have kitchens but this year you have to bring your own cookware and dinnerware. But it’s TBD if people maintain guidelines to prevent another wave and shutdown.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Had to cancel our 10th wedding anniversary vacation in Jamaica.  Thank goodness we went through a travel agent and purchased travel insurance.

They still would charge you otherwise in the midst of a pandemic?  Just doesn’t sound like the best business practice.  To me anyway 

Just now, Another Fan said:

They still would charge you otherwise in the midst of a pandemic?  Just doesn’t sound like the best business practice.  To me anyway 

I have no idea if they would have or not.  Glad I didn’t have to find out.  I have been hearing some sketchy stories, however, about airlines/resorts giving people a hard time offering vouchers instead of refunds.

• Like (+1) 1