Still Taking a Vacation this Summer?

1 minute ago, Halloween Land said:

Has your vacation plans been canceled? Or delayed? Or on hold this year due to the virus? Or do you still plan on taking a vacation? 

The old Irishman I worked with maintained he took the annual plant shutdown / vacation at 'Lard Lake'.  Invariably, a newer worker would ask "where's that?"

"Up a pig's arse" old Gallagher would reply.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gray Beard said:

A weekend in the Catskills in April was cancelled.

A sightseeing trip to Germany in July has been cancelled.
A family reunion in Lake Placid in August has been cancelled. 

Lake Placid in August canceled?  Why??

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Probably the same reason my sister canceled her daughter’s wedding reception in early Sept. Just only immediate family in Sept. for a small wedding. There are some 60+ aged people & other high risk attendees that do not wish to fly or travel and be placed in a risky situation. 
The wedding reception has been rescheduled for 2021.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Imma become a great camper and do stuff outdoors vs. traveling or being around people. I have all the tools now.

Saving vacation days for NEXT summer for some kind of Mountain time-zone trip.

Just set the jar of Miracle Whip at tent / trailer door, and that ought to ensure your solitude...?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Several family members would be flying in from places too far to drive easily (Florida, Texas, Colorado), and they didn’t like the idea of air travel these days.  Some of them are 65+ years old and feel particularly vulnerable.  We had an opportunity to get our down payment back, so we voted to postpone until next year.  We normally only get together for weddings and funerals these days.  We were really looking forward to this reunion. 

In addition, my son is a nurse and lately some of his patients are covid positive.  He would not have come if that was still the case in August.

Edited by Gray Beard

Canceled our fall cruise, our Jan/Feb cruise is still on (Antarctica, and then we'd like a month in Chile after that) for now.

Hubby and I talked about driving across country again this summer. It depends on how open things get.  Right now, it would be difficult to travel parts of the US with hotels still closed in some areas, and restaurants still not open (or only 25% open) in other areas. Maybe by August or September we can get out and see the USA (not in a Chevrolet) again.

We would both love to go back to Europe and finish our trip in Spain (it ended two weeks early this past March). I am not sure when that will be able to happen. I hope soon!

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

6 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Several family members would be flying in from places too far to drive easily (Florida, Texas, Colorado), and they didn’t like the idea of air travel these days.  Some of them are 65+ years old and feel particularly vulnerable.  We had an opportunity to get our down payment back, so we voted to postpone until next year.  We normally only get together for weddings and funerals these days.  We were really looking forward to this reunion. 

In addition, my son is a nurse and lately some of his patients are covid positive.  He would not have come if that was still the case in August.

That is really a bummer, man, I'm sorry. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can understand booking a vacation for later this year or next, but people are willing to risk going on cruises already?  Thats crazy to me.  No possible way I would go on a cruise until this thing is pretty much completely over.  One infected person on the ship and you're screwed.  I'm not getting stuck in a cruise cabin for months.  No way.

• Like (+1) 2

We had a trip planned for Aruba from early to mid-June. Us and two other families. We canceled a while ago. Good thing, Aruba won't be opening until mid-June. We rebooked for Hawaii at the end of Sept. Not even sure that'll happen. Apparently (as of this moment), it appears we'll have to take a rapid COVID test 72hrs before we go. Not even sure how that'll be possible unless testing drastically changes in the upcoming months. A lot of uncertainty. Don't like the fact we won't know about going until 72hrs beforehand. 

• Sad 1

All trip cancelled for this year, but we've already booked a family trip to Turks & Caicos for next March.

If you're thinking of taking a trip next year, start booking now. Everyone who had plans cancelled this year are rescheduling for next year so stuff is already filling up fast for 2021. We got in on the T&C resort just as they booked up.

I will not be vacationing but I also will not be working for at least a part of the summer.  I will be unemployed beginning next week as my position at work will be eliminated at the end of May.  Not sure how long until I find new employment given the current situation the world is in but I would definitely rather be working while maybe taking a one week vacation at some point.

TRNP in North Dakota mid-July

Sawtooths in Idaho in late July

Mt Rainier in early August

North Cascades in mid August

All systems are still a hopeful go at this point.

Will be driving the truck out then camping and backpacking so social distancing is not an issue.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Probably the same reason my sister canceled her daughter’s wedding reception in early Sept. Just only immediate family in Sept. for a small wedding. There are some 60+ aged people & other high risk attendees that do not wish to fly or travel and be placed in a risky situation. 
The wedding reception has been rescheduled for 2021.

Similar situation. Our son’s parent-only church wedding in mid-August will take us to Sarasota, FL. They are scheduled for 8/28 in Asheville, NC at the Omni Grove Park Inn for the “public wedding”. They have until 5/29 to back out and get a full refund, which I hope they do. We have family who are hesitant to fly, and they know some may not attend. They have blocked some dates next year which works for me. 

The dilemma for them is, even with getting the refund now, it may cost them north of $10k to change the date. His fiancé is currently a furloughed Omni employee and she gets a huge discount. Sometime next year she may (likely) be working elsewhere and lose the discount. It’s their special place, so I don’t see the location changing. Both families gave them substantial checks to spend as they like for wedding, down payment on a house, etc. Losing $10k+ (it certainly would have hurt us in our 20’s) or cutting down on family and their closest friends is a VERY big deal for them. 

I know what I would do, but we will only talk it out with them. I will not tell them what to do. They need to learn to make and live with their own decisions, even expensive ones. We will know on Friday......

Largely due to the wedding(s), we don’t have any big trips planned this year.  In 10/21 we are going to Italy followed by a Mediterranean cruise (Rome to Barcelona) on a small Windstar ship we were on last year. I was upset it was so far away, now I’m thrilled it’s not any sooner!