New Pope!

MattyT

So, praying at home is not a direct connection to God?

309442[/snapback]

From what I recall of Catholicism...yes and no. While "God hears all prayers", the unwashed masses may NOT speak directly to him, but must go through an official and ordained representative, i.e. a Catholic priest.

One of the reasons I left the church...it just struck me as funny that a bunch of old men were telling me that God's will was that I not talk to him except through them, and I was just supposed to take them at their word because God told them to tell me I should. Awful lot of circular logic there...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I recall of Catholicism...yes and no.  While "God hears all prayers", the unwashed masses may NOT speak directly to him, but must go through an official and ordained representative, i.e. a Catholic priest. 

309522[/snapback]

sounds like shopping for car insurance online vs going to an agent

Yes, much like Karel Wojtyla listened to the Nazis when he refused to help hide Jews from them.

Oh wait he didn't listen to them.  B-)

309500[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Karel was a 21-year old man in occupied Poland. Ratzinger was a 14-year old boy in Germany. I think there's a significant difference between the two.

Or are you actually saying that a man and a boy with entirely different backgrounds should act identically?

From what I recall of Catholicism...yes and no.  While "God hears all prayers", the unwashed masses may NOT speak directly to him, but must go through an official and ordained representative, i.e. a Catholic priest. 

One of the reasons I left the church...it just struck me as funny that a bunch of old men were telling me that God's will was that I not talk to him except through them, and I was just supposed to take them at their word because God told them to tell me I should.  Awful lot of circular logic there...

309522[/snapback]

So, I shouldn't pray at home unless a priest is with me? :rolleyes:

Yeah, nice lahjik there.

Transubstantiation is one of the remnants of my Catholic school education that rattles around when I start talking to American Catholics. There can't be 5% of Catholic Americans who believe this fundamental belief.

309484[/snapback]

Er, I think that more than 5% of folks that attend Catholic churches take communion..

How is it ignorant? 

His father was anti-nazi but he somehow became a youth nazi.  I fully understand that people were forced to do things or die.  If that is the case i feel sorry for him but he shouldn't be the Pope because of it. 

If your father beat your mother then you have a strong chance of becoming a wife beater yourself even tho as a kid you knew it wasn't right.

The same idea goes for the new Pope.  He was a Nazi Youth. He had a front row seat to their teachings.  He had Nazi Teachers.  He sat in a classroom.

The Pope has a very visable black spot on his record.  He shouldn't be the Pope because of it.

309514[/snapback]

I take back my comment I made about your first post. THIS is the most ignorant post ever.

So, I shouldn't pray at home unless a priest is with me?  B-) 

Yeah, nice lahjik there.

309529[/snapback]

Only if you're Catholic. :D

Like I said, it's one of those little itty-bitty problems (along with the whole "Jews are evil and must be destroyed" speech my priest gave us one Sunday that didn't quite reconcile with the whole historical "Jesus was a Jew" datum) that caused me to leave the church. And yeah...I know "It's just one priest that said that"...but hey, if the Vatican wants me to believe he's a direct conduit to God... :rolleyes:

I take back my comment I made about your first post. THIS is the most ignorant post ever.

309533[/snapback]

"He had Nazi teachers, therefore he's a Nazi."

Well, golly...I had a teacher who was a card-carrying Communist in high school. I also had one that was gay and one that was institutionalized with mental illness.

I guess that makes me a gay communist schizophrenic.

:rolleyes:

So, I shouldn't pray at home unless a priest is with me?  B-) 

Yeah, nice lahjik there.

309529[/snapback]

I should caveat that by saying that it's been nearly 20 years, and I could have been misinformed on the Church's teachings.

Still...if I was being taught those teachings by the direct representatives of God, how'd they get it wrong? :rolleyes:

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/05...hive.asp#061050

I am not Catholic but have had similar talks with friends. If you are not on the bus, get off! Why should the church change? If it becomes outdated, so be it, something else will replace it. It should not just change with the times, it is what it is, if you don't like it leave.

This Nazi reference is ridiculous, ask the Jews. He did more to mend fences with the Jews than most in the church.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...3D1113704370906

Er, I think that more than 5% of folks that attend Catholic churches take communion..

309531[/snapback]

I agree. And I bet that the high percentage of those who take communion don't believe that they are consuming the actual body and blood of Jesus. Do you agree?

I know a lot of Catholics, and not one of them buys transubstantiation. When Fr. Jack brought it up in high school, he was laughed out of the room. He couldn't even convince a room full of Catholic teens to believe in transubstantiation. (He REALLY coudn't sell that masturbation was a sin, but we were wary to laugh- what with our teenage insecurities and all.)

I agree. And I bet that the high percentage of those who take communion don't believe that they are consuming the actual body and blood of Jesus. Do you agree?

309562[/snapback]

"Actual" or not, it's hard to get around the priest saying to you "The body and blood of Christ" and responding "Amen" and accepting the Host (as I recall the ritual) not being symbolic ritual cannibalism.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (it's certainly more palatable than non-symbolic cannibalism). But it is what it is...

I should caveat that by saying that it's been nearly 20 years, and I could have been misinformed on the Church's teachings.

Still...if I was being taught those teachings by the direct representatives of God, how'd they get it wrong?  :rolleyes:

309549[/snapback]

Don't mistake the works of men, with all their warts, with the Church. If some man said that the Catholic Church was the "direct representative of God", they were in error. Understand the fallibility of Man...CEO's of major corprations these days are filled with hubris and self-importance, these folks that we fawn over be they in entertainment or in sports often disappoint us.

The late Pope never claimed to be anything but a humble servant of our good Lord. Never.

Don't be prejudicial of this new Pope.

Wait and see.

I've typed in several statements in this thread. I am not a member of the Catholic Church. But I recognize that the good imparted around the globe far surpasses the bad.

Think for a moment if that Church and it's bretheren were no more...what a loss to humanity, let alone to faith.

Remember Pope John Paul II, and look for the good in the new Pope.