What if it takes highest paid player in the NFL to resign Allen?

14 hours ago, mattt9998 said:

Hypothetical.... In a couple years the Bills are in the Cowboys shoes and have a choice of making Josh Allen the highest paid player in the league or letting him walk?  What would you do?

Is Dak even a top 15 QB in the league?  Sure sounds like the Cowboys are going to give him a butt ton of money.  Would you give the same to JA?

Josh's rookie year, the offense talent on that team tied both of his hand behind his back...

Last year, with a retooled Oline, a #2 WR as a #1, good slot receiver, and super green TE's, Josh showed very noticeable improvement and led us to the playoffs.

Now, this year, the same Oline is back (after a year of gelling), WR is now a strength with a #1 WR coming in, minus Gore plus Moss will improve running game.

I expect the continued improvement in Josh Allen this year.  IMO, our offense will continue to improve with all the new weapons, which will open up everyone.  

Also, it looks like Josh is a great leader and the physicality to play QB at a high level (can run and cannon for arm).

IMO, it all depends on how far this team progresses.  We make it to a Superbowl and actually win :D, Josh can get anything he wants.  If he shows that with a #1 WR the offense can be productive, he will get a good deal. 

Bold prediction: I think Buffalo is going to totally blow up some teams this year.  With a big offense improvement and an already stout defense, I think we can see some 35-7 ballgames in our future.

Bold Prediction2: I actually think that Josh Allen will resign with Buffalo and it will be a very favorable, cap friendly deal because I think Josh cares more about winning than the paycheck.

• Like (+1) 2

What if Eva Mendes shows up on my patio and begs me to take her in and ravage her and offering to be my sugar mama for life for doing so while my girlfriend is out of town?

What if game is fun, if not pointless.  

Lets just let Josh be Josh first...lets see what he can do on the field.  Lets see how he affects wins and losses moving forward.  Lets just not ask questions that can not possibly be answered today.

#CrossThatBridgeWhenWeGetToIt

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, these guys sign non-guaranteed deals and have like a 5 year earning window. Why would any reasonable person not maximize their window? They all do (and they should). I do the same thing with my career. 

I am the person who takes less money than I could earn in the private sector for some of the other benefits I get in the public sector. But short of being struck down with a serious illness there is an element of predictability about my career and of certainty and security. I am not one bad Ministerial briefing away from being fired. If I was it would change my calculation significantly. These guys are one bad hit from being done. And it is a brutal game they play. They are not taking hometown discounts and nor should they. Even the guys who have taken lesser deals from New England in the past they are generally guys who have earned their money. Stephon Gilmore didn't take a lesser deal. He got paid top dollar to sign there. If you are Revis and you have had two big pay days and you want a ring..... sure it influences your pay demands. But young guys coming off their rookie deals? Nah.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am the person who takes less money than I could earn in the private sector for some of the other benefits I get in the public sector. But short of being struck down with a serious illness there is an element of predictability about my career and of certainty and security. I am not one bad Ministerial briefing away from being fired. If I was it would change my calculation significantly. These guys are one bad hit from being done. And it is a brutal game they play. They are not taking hometown discounts and nor should they. Even the guys who have taken lesser deals from New England in the past they are generally guys who have earned their money. Stephon Gilmore didn't take a lesser deal. He got paid top dollar to sign there. If you are Revis and you have had two big pay days and you want a ring..... sure it influences your pay demands. But young guys coming off their rookie deals? Nah.

Can you think of one example in the last decade of a guy taking less than market value on his 2nd deal? 

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Cam Newton

Interesting. Didn’t Cam come off a bad 2014 when he inked that deal, and still make more than Matt Ryan?

Edit: His first 3 years of his extension only paid him less than Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben.

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Cam Newton

Newton became the third highest average per year at the position when he signed in 2015. Behind Rodgers and Big Ben. Was that much of a hometown discount? Not sure I think so.

Just now, FireChans said:

Interesting. Didn’t Cam come off a bad 2014 when he inked that deal, and still make more than Matt Ryan?

He did. When he signed it he went ahead of everyone except Ben and Aaron.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He came off a year he was injured a bunch and broke his back in a car wreck, yes. But he gave the Panthers a deal and the proof is how he went out and put together an MVP season immediately after getting paid when he could have taken more elsewhere.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He came off a year he was injured a bunch and broke his back in a car wreck, yes. But he gave the Panthers a deal and the proof is how he went out and put together an MVP season immediately after getting paid when he could have taken more elsewhere.

You think someone was giving him more than Rodgers at that point? Or is what you are saying he could have bet on himself year 5 and played on the option and then he'd have had a chance to cash in bigger after that season?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You think someone was giving him more than Rodgers at that point? Or is what you are saying he could have bet on himself year 5 and played on the option and then he'd have had a chance to cash in bigger after that season?

Panthers fans will tell you he wanted to stay in Carolina and took the deal they offered when he could have made more elsewhere, yes. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Panthers fans will tell you he wanted to stay in Carolina and took the deal they offered when he could have made more elsewhere, yes. 

Yea I don't agree. I think the contract he signed was right about where expectations were. The big question at the time was "would he get more than Matt Ryan?" and he did despite not having an equivalent CV at that point. If the argument is he could have bet on himself in the 5th year and he'd have made more after that season then I could get on board with that. Had he signed a contract after his MVP year he'd have been the best paid player in the game, no doubt.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't agree. I think the contract he signed was right about where expectations were. The big question at the time was "would he get more than Matt Ryan?" and he did despite not having an equivalent CV at that point. If the argument is he could have bet on himself in the 5th year and he'd have made more after that season then I could get on board with that. Had he signed a contract after his MVP year he'd have been the best paid player in the game, no doubt.

You don't have to agree, he was the latest big name free agent QB and didn't get paid like one. If you don't cal that a hometown discount I don't know what to tell you.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Kirk Cousins is the only real example that I can think of. It’s not like he took less either he just played under the franchise tag multiple times. He punted on the long-term guaranteed money.

Newton’s deal was right around where it was going to be at that point. If he would have played under the 5th year option his deal would have been much bigger so it was a good deal for the Panthers.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't have to agree, he was the latest big name free agent QB and didn't get paid like one. If you don't cal that a hometown discount I don't know what to tell you.

He wasn't a free agent. He was at the end of his 4th year going into his option year and he got the 3rd highest QB salary in the league. He signed for right around what his market was. If he had waited out the 5th year option he could have cashed in Joe Flacco style. But other than Flacco not sure who else has gone that way. Would have been a brave call but  it would have worked for him.