The Draft is a total crap shoot...

Here are the first six picks of the 2017 Draft class.

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

*Dante Fowler

And, yes I agree. People (not on this board but in the media) were getting all worked up because of what we gave up for Diggs. Based on where we were picking, I’ll take the proven commodity all day. Especially at a position of desperation and on a reasonable deal (comparatively speaking). 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is pretty common knowledge. No such thing as a “sure thing”. Fred Jackson (undrafted) > CJ Spiller (top 10 pick)

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

never heard that term used before

The point of my thread is that Beane's trade of the 1st round pick was the best use of that valuable draft capital.  The players/situations sited only provided context for my position.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The problem with trading for players with team friendly contract is players often will often hold out feeling circumstances are changed and they deserve more money while those with contracts for those which are overpaid will rarely take pay cuts only restructure moving more money forward making them harder to cut later.

An even bigger problem is whiffing on a 1st round selection.

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

*Dante Fowler

Thanks Process, I fixed it ?

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

Trubisky and Thomas were overdrafted. Said that at the time. Fournette's issues are as much off field as on. The one I am genuinely really surprised hasn't been a success is Corey Davis. I had a really high grade on him and I have liked him when I have seen him play in the NFL too. Not really sure what the issue has been and he has been nicked up some. He is the kind of player who I would not be surprised to see go somewhere else and suddenly pop. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes Indigo I think the TBD crew pretty well reached a consensus on this right after Beane pulled the trigger on this trade.

Getting that 7th round pick solidified the deal for most ;) 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

If the draft is a total crap shoot, then scouting doesn't matter and teams should be able to just pick a random person off the street to be the GM.

Also, the best strategy would be to continually trade down until you have stockpiled dozens of selections in the 6th-7th Round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1