Bills vs Browns last year

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Was that a forward pass by the Cleveland QB that got scooped up and ran in by Jerry Hughes?

We were winning that game and that would have sealed it

I knew it when it was live.

It's the very same play the Bills have used with McKenzie. 

Incomplete pass. That simple.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

Those goal line stands were pretty awesome though! 

For sure the D came up big (that’s what she said ?).  But that was some of the worst play calling I’ve ever seen in my life.  If I was running the Browns, I would have fired Kitchens after the game.  They would bring on heavy personnel at like the 5 and take OBJ and Landry off the field.  So stupid.  

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Apparently it was one week prior against the Vikings (and it was Marcus Murphy not Foster):

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/9/26/17902834/nfl-week-3-worst-call-of-the-week-forward-pass-or-fumble-for-josh-allen

Yeah, that was bad.  The timing of the play was a little off, so I can sort of see how they could have thought the snap hit Ivory or something in real time.  No excuse to not get it right after the review, though.  Even worse is they confirmed it rather than just saying the call stands.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Was that a forward pass by the Cleveland QB that got scooped up and ran in by Jerry Hughes?

We were winning that game and that would have sealed it

It was a pass. There is a rule written for this exact type of play. 

There was a really long thread about this play right after it happened too.

32 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Apparently it was one week prior against the Vikings (and it was Marcus Murphy not Foster):

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/9/26/17902834/nfl-week-3-worst-call-of-the-week-forward-pass-or-fumble-for-josh-allen

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

Yeah, that was bad.  The timing of the play was a little off, so I can sort of see how they could have thought the snap hit Ivory or something in real time.  No excuse to not get it right after the review, though.  Even worse is they confirmed it rather than just saying the call stands.

The difference is that they said Josh never actually possessed the ball. Right or wrong they ruled he never caught the snap, that he batted it to the runner. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Browns talent level was good but their coaching was poor. Ultimately the Bills ran into a bad matchup on the road and lost a close game. I think had the game been in Buffalo the team would have pulled it out. In games this tight being away could make the difference. The Bills didn't come out flat (like they did in the Philly game) but they didn't come out sharpe either. And against a decent team away that's going to result in a tight game and ultimately the team lost on a kick.

I know this game was a loss and all, but one of my favorite sequences ever happened in this one:

The goal line stand. The Browns had it from, what, the 2-yard line, with an epic amount of chances at it, and we stoned 'em.

It was awesome. There's gotta be video of that sequence around somewhere.

Unfortunately it was a forward pass. That's why those plays exist, so that if the ball is mishandled it counts as an incompletion instead of a fumble. We run those same tap passes in our offense, usually with McKenzie receiving the ball.

That game was the most frustrating game of the season. One we really should have won but let it slip through our fingers. It was a match between talent and coaching/discipline and this time talent edged us out.

But now that we have a little more talent on both sides of the ball we should win games like that.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know this game was a loss and all, but one of my favorite sequences ever happened in this one:

The goal line stand. The Browns had it from, what, the 2-yard line, with an epic amount of chances at it, and we stoned 'em.

It was awesome. There's gotta be video of that sequence around somewhere.

Yes, and that sequence showed that defensive holding is sometimes the smart thing to do. White held OBJ a couple times, took the flag, and lived to face him in a future down. And ultimately he ended up sealing the goal line stand with a pass breakup on OBJ. It was a great stand.

If we had come away with the win that game would have been one worth rewatching.

• Like (+1) 1

I place the blame for that loss on the pass rush. There was virtually no pressure on Mayfield during the final drive.

We faced a very weak QB lineup in 2019, so the pass rush has got to be better. There's a lot of bodies in the front 7 and several guys with talent, so I'm hoping McD and Frazier can put together a stronger PR. Not a huge fan of Frazier's non aggressive approach.

Ed Oliver's progress is going to play a huge role in all of this.

#1 reason (by no means the only) we lost that game was our run defense.  Chubb had at least three runs where he was dragging multiple defenders for an extra ten yards.  That's just straight up weak.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

#1 reason (by no means the only) we lost that game was our run defense.  Chubb had at least three runs where he was dragging multiple defenders for an extra ten yards.  That's just straight up weak.

Getting dragged by Chubb is one thing, getting dragged by Watson is another. 

Chubb is a beast, can’t blame them.

I think it could of easily been called either way that’s why I think the call on the field should not of been changed. 

Everyone knows the idea of the play but there was no solid evidence the ball actually moved forward. Just to close to call. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

I think it could of easily been called either way that’s why I think the call on the field should not of been changed. 

Everyone knows the idea of the play but there was no solid evidence the ball actually moved forward. Just to close to call. 

The ball doesn’t have to move forward.  Once the arm starts moving forward, that’s all that matters.  

• Like (+1) 1

That play had me jumping off my couch and celebrating in victory. 

Then I realized it was a forward pass. 

I'm glad those are considered forward passes though since we use them a lot in our offense now and with a lot of success. Josh can even get a TD or two credited to him every year using them.

13 hours ago, Billl said:

The ball doesn’t have to move forward.  Once the arm starts moving forward, that’s all that matters.  

Yep. If people want to question whether the rule is right, that is fair enough. But in terms of interpretation as soon as I saw the replay I knew it was coming back.