Bills vs Browns last year

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Was that a forward pass by the Cleveland QB that got scooped up and ran in by Jerry Hughes?

We were winning that game and that would have sealed it

Maybe, but not the sole reason we lost.

1. Levi got taken behind the woodshed by Landry in that game.

2. Chubb had a big game running for chunks at a time.

3. Hauschka missed 2 FG's (34 and a 53 that would of tied it)

Still, we had no business losing that game and it could've been the difference in us hosting instead going on the road in the playoffs.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember watching the slow-mo replay. It really didn't look like the ball moved forward at all. It looked like Mayfield just caught it and dropped it straight down. imo, it was a fumble and would have been a game sealer. That's a game I really wanted back. It really irked me losing that one for some reason. But yeah a bad call in my book. They called that exact kind of play a fumble against the Bills, and that one actually traveled forward, so I guess it's whatever the refs feel like at that moment. There needs to be a rule for sake of clarity. If the ball doesn't travel more than a yard from the QBs hand, it's a live ball if it hits the ground or something like that. But it will never happen because it makes too much sense and NFL likes things more muddied and complicated. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sad because that would have sealed it. I think applying the current interpretation of the law they made the right call to overturn. I thought three interceptions against New England aside this was Josh's worst game too. This was at the peak of the coaching him to be safe and he held the ball so long that day and missed so many guys running open. The next week was the "play loose" thing and to some extent it definitely worked.  

• Like (+1) 2

It was a forward pass.  I felt the blow back from that loss from that game propelled this team to another level with all the overrated chatter from the local and national media.  You could see it with the effort the next week in Miami as they played with an edge.  Then we went on to win three of the next four against the Broncos, Cowboys, and Steelers.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was last year, but if we won, we would have kept our starters for the Jets and would have been 12-4.  The Patriots would have still won the division, but if we didn’t screw up that punt against the first Patriots game, we would have had the division.  Damn Belicheck.  He saw in week 1 the Jets brought 9 and our outside guys or at least 1 didn’t slide in which is basics for defending you’re punter. A hat on a hat.  The Giants in week 2 brought 10 once and again they almost got to him.  The muffed snap blew it for us and the rest is history.  Kudos for Belicheck picking up on our flawed execution of punts.  Since then I noticed the outside guys sliding in when they slid in on the punt.  It’s all water under the bridge as the Pats and us both lost.  Would a game in OP against the Titans meant any difference?  I doubt it as TN was hot by the playoffs.  They were not the same team as they were when we played them early in the year.

It was such a weird game in the respect that the outcome adversely effected each team. What should have propelled the Browns (finished 3-4 after that game) and what should have caused the Bills to come back to earth (finished 4-3 sitting starters the last game of the season)....

Either way, I think it was actually a good lose, gave the Bills a kick in the shorts.

• Like (+1) 2

The reason that play is designed that way is for that exact scenario to be covered safely, an incomplete pass rather than a fumble.

It's why Josh got a touchdown pass for the McKenzie sweep against the Giants, in which he simply dropped it into Isaiah's hands

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Bill......the ball looked like it might have dropped straight up and down....how is it "obvious"

Because it doesn’t matter that the ball may have gone straight down.  Mayfield made a forward movement with his arms, and that’s all that matters.  (It was pretty clearly traveling forward if you watch the slow motion replay on gamepass.)

“When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.“

Edited by Billl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Maybe, but not the sole reason we lost.

1. Levi got taken behind the woodshed by Landry in that game.

2. Chubb had a big game running for chunks at a time.

3. Hauschka missed 2 FG's (34 and a 53 that would of tied it)

Still, we had no business losing that game and it could've been the difference in us hosting instead going on the road in the playoffs.

4. McDermott didn't trust Hausch for a long FG attempt that resulted in a failed 4th down conversion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

The rules say it’s an incomplete pass; the officials, however, ruled the exact same play as a Josh Allen fumble in Green Bay in 2018.

You must be thinking of a different game unless it got overturned.  The only fumble in that game was on a scramble when Allen was two yards downfield and got hit from behind.  He had the ball tucked but still lost it.  The play wasn’t even remotely similar.

49 minutes ago, Billl said:

You must be thinking of a different game unless it got overturned.  The only fumble in that game was on a scramble when Allen was two yards downfield and got hit from behind.  He had the ball tucked but still lost it.  The play wasn’t even remotely similar.

Apparently it was one week prior against the Vikings (and it was Marcus Murphy not Foster):

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/9/26/17902834/nfl-week-3-worst-call-of-the-week-forward-pass-or-fumble-for-josh-allen

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1