How Many Vietnam Veterans follow the Bills?

LB48

2 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Over-officious jerks!  We have grammar and spelling police here, now the holiday police.

The question was about who served in Vietnam (era).

If you just asked about veterans that were Bills fans - no problem.

My uncle died in WWII. He did not live to be a veteran.

Memorial Day is to honor all of those who DIED in service to their country.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

To fight about this shows that you are the JERK...  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LB48 said:

Just as a point of information on this Memorial Day.  I served in Vietnam and kept track of the Bills from the "Stars and Stripes" newspaper.  Even in that situation a LOSS was upsetting.

welcome home, to you and all. thank you and all for your service and sacrifice.

8 hours ago, cd1 said:

Just to be a stick in the mud...

Memorial Day is to honor those who died in war.

Veterans Day is to honor all those who served.

Not being a stick in the mud at all. I served in the Navy from '61-65 and was aboard a carrier in the war zone. Always refer to myself as serving in the Vietnam war era and not a Vietnam veteran. Memorial Day indeed should be for honoring those who have lost their lives in service. I'll go one step further. I see no need for a veterans day. If we're going that far how about police officers, firefighters and first responders day. Many of those were and are at greater risk than I was aboard a carrier.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Radar said:

Not being a stick in the mud at all. I served in the Navy from '61-65 and was aboard a carrier in the war zone. Always refer to myself as serving in the Vietnam war era and not a Vietnam veteran. Memorial Day indeed should be for honoring those who have lost their lives in service. I'll go one step further. I see no need for a veterans day. If we're going that far how about police officers, firefighters and first responders day. Many of those were and are at greater risk than I was aboard a carrier.

I’m all for it....it’s starting to sound like going to a four day work week!  :)

But they certainly deserve what recognition they do get, especially these days. Wow. 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m all for it....it’s starting to sound like going to a four day work week!  :)

But they certainly deserve what recognition they do get, especially these days. Wow. 

It wouldn't surprise me if in the near future a National Holiday is created to recognize them.

As for some others, Veterans Day came from Armistice Day (ending of WW1) and transitioned into recognizing all veterans.

The country use to have National Holidays for Washington and Lincoln's Birthdays and that transitioned into "Presidents Day".

My point being there are appropriate holidays for many reasons and the meaning do change but it shouldn't create division on a football board.

If anyone is wondering I am a vet and served in the USAF from '77 thru '81.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks to all of the vets who served. in Vietnam and anywhere else!!  [whether or not you were actually in combat]

I was in elementary school during the Vietnam war and remember our school bus taking a detour to avoid the protests and tear gas at the UB main street campus

49 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

Thanks to all of the vets who served. in Vietnam and anywhere else!!  [whether or not you were actually in combat]

I was in elementary school during the Vietnam war and remember our school bus taking a detour to avoid the protests and tear gas at the UB main street campus

My older sister (by 8 years) went to her high school prom with a guy who then went to Vietnam. He was dead just a few months later. He was a kid with his whole life ahead of him. He didn’t want to be there!

One of my friends tried to protect his parents from his unstable brother who had just returned from the war. He saved his parents, but the knife slashed some nerves in his right wrist. He had to learn to become left handed. That stuff is very real, and it shakes you. 

How those vets were treated upon their return was a national tragedy. They didn’t deserve that. What a terrible shame. Thank you to ALL vets for your service. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My old man was in the air force during that time. He loved the Bills and followed them the best he could.  He was in "intelligence" and wasn't really allowed too much contact with the outside world.

I was picking sand out of my arse during t

our first super bowl. Both my kids are serving now too and keep up with them (one army one airforce).

Go Bills!

Edited by aceman_16

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

If you just asked about veterans that were Bills fans - no problem.

My uncle died in WWII. He did not live to be a veteran.

Memorial Day is to honor all of those who DIED in service to their country.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

To fight about this shows that you are the JERK...  

"Over-officious jerks" is an old Marv Levy quote, yelling at the refs.

I did not start the thread, only responded to the question. Try to relax.

I'm a Vietnam "Era" vet. Air Force '68 - 72. But I had a few encounters with Vietnam vets. The encounters made an indelible impression, in a positive way.

I'll share:  I was stationed for 2 yrs in Anchorage, Ak. Our base was a refueling stop for Aero Vac flights from Nam going to the states for their medical discharge.

These are the guys that got hit badly & they were returning for their medical discharge for they were too banged up for any further service. They always came through

night, 9, 10 o'clock Alaska time. I was at the Flight Line cafeteria after a night school class & saw these guys coming through to get some food while their plane was refueling.

It was, to me at least pretty bad. Guys coming in with heads bandaged up, arms in braces, legs banged up & walking on crutches,etc,etc.

I was barely out of my teens myself and I remember thinking  "that these guys' lives are forever changed"! Some of them were probably athletes in high

school like me and will never be able to play sports like they did in school. That, and other things like that drifted through my mind as I returned to my room in the

barracks. I had a few other times in that cafeteria at before my tour their was up. I never forgot about those guys throughout my life. Would tell my students about them

and other times to my students when the were learning about the Vietnam War. I wanted to give them, especially the boys, something to think about concerning war. 

Over time, and many years now, I still think about those gentleman. I've shed tears for them, They helped me to grown up a bit as I've thought of them back when I

was a young man. I hope they all lead happy, healthy lives.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, cfbillsfan said:

I'm proud to say my Dad is a combat wounded Vietnam veteran and a Bills fan.  I am sure there are a ton more, maybe just not on message boards.  Thank you for your service and Go Bills!  p.s. I will ask my Dad if kept up on the Bills while over there.

Give your Dad a hug from me - - Viet Vets stick together!

13 hours ago, ALF said:

I joined the Navy in 69 to avoid the draft. After watching the nightly news and protests made up my mind to error on the side of caution.

I'm too scrawny  to be a ground pounder , they would have made me a tunnel rat for sure . That thought alone scares the heck out of me even today. Being able to follow the Bills win or lose is a real blessing.

My brother-in-law WAS a tunnel rat.  He was short and skinny but very athletic.  He still can't forget those memories of going into the unknown!

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, cd1 said:

Just to be a stick in the mud...

Memorial Day is to honor those who died in war.

Veterans Day is to honor all those who served.

I understand!  A lot of Vietnam Veterans who came home really did die mentally after that experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

Yep,A Bills loss was worst then getting Mortared!

***** Tam,River Assault Group (Rivron 15) 69'-70'

1st Aviation Brigade '69 & '70  Ban Me Thuot

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Withdrawing in ‘73, it’s now more than 47 years ago (a few years less for the official end of the conflict). That makes the youngest vets 65 now. Their numbers are quickly dwindling as we maxed at 2,709,918 who served in ‘Nam. For reference, we had 16 million troops in WWII. ‘Agent Orange’ has sadly played a significant role in their demise.

Personally, I wasn’t too far behind them, having joined up in January of ‘75 on a delayed, 6 month enlistment. Somewhere around April, I received a notification that Vietnam Era GI Bill benefits would expire before my expected start date and I should move my date up immediately to receive the benefits. 

I didn’t participate so I didn’t deserve it and reported on my official date.

P.S. Thank you for your Service, OP!

Almost 400 Vietnam Veterans die each day in 2020.  Life expectancy stats show:  For US Vietnam Veterans it's about 66 years vs just about 78 years for non vets.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Thank you for your service. 

Thank YOU for saying that. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It wouldn't surprise me if in the near future a National Holiday is created to recognize them.

As for some others, Veterans Day came from Armistice Day (ending of WW1) and transitioned into recognizing all veterans.

The country use to have National Holidays for Washington and Lincoln's Birthdays and that transitioned into "Presidents Day".

My point being there are appropriate holidays for many reasons and the meaning do change but it shouldn't create division on a football board.

If anyone is wondering I am a vet and served in the USAF from '77 thru '81.

Thank YOU for your military service.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Radar said:

Thank you for your Naval Service.  I definitely honor all services, but am more biased towards seeing Sailors who served.  I'm currently a Chief in the Navy.  "Navy Chief! Navy Pride!"