A fun look back at a game winning drive from the 2014 season

12 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

I do give him that. But he was stealing $5 million

Not at all. If he'd been being paid $15 or $16 mill, yeah, but $5.5 mill was probably a bargain for what he brought. He was one of the best backups in the league at that point. Wasn't his fault he wasn't sitting on the bench behind someone better.

Edited by Thurman#1

48 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why is everyone hating on Orton? Very strange. At least he put up some of your beloved 300-yard efforts... 18:10 TD-INT rato, 87.8 rating, good completion percentage... Not bad at all.

Behind that offensive line it's actually amazing tbh.

• Like (+1) 2

That's what I'm talkin' about.... (Never gets old)

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why is everyone hating on Orton? Very strange. At least he put up some of your beloved 300-yard efforts... 18:10 TD-INT rato, 87.8 rating, good completion percentage... Not bad at all.

3rd and kitty (substitute the p-word, drops the mike).

Edited by Freddie's Dead

On 5/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, first_and_ten said:

The Kyle Orton era was one I would rather forget, no thanks.

He was the only QB that actually gave us a chance that year...he made the season watchable imo

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not at all. If he'd been being paid $15 or $16 mill, yeah, but $5.5 mill was probably a bargain for what he brought. He was one of the best backups in the league at that point. Wasn't his fault he wasn't sitting on the bench behind someone better.

Edited by first_and_ten
mistake

18 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

The Kyle Orton era was one I would rather forget, no thanks.

Wow, why all the negativity on Kyle Orton?  He led a tremendous last second drive to a big victory at the time and you have to bash him?!  He was money on every throw on that drive except for the one behind Sammy.  The offensive line around him was lousy.  #68 Richardson had no business being on an NFL field.  Was Kyle Orton a stud QB?  No he wasn't.  But he played pretty well for a lot of that 2014 season.  And was awesome on that last drive.  So give him some props where they are due and leave it at that.  

Dam life is tough enuf.  You have to find joy in something.  Watching that drive certainly put a smile on my face and a bounce in my step, at least for the moment.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wow, why all the negativity on Kyle Orton?  He led a tremendous last second drive to a big victory at the time and you have to bash him?!  He was money on every throw on that drive except for the one behind Sammy.  The offensive line around him was lousy.  #68 Richardson had no business being on an NFL field.  Was Kyle Orton a stud QB?  No he wasn't.  But he played pretty well for a lot of that 2014 season.  And was awesome on that last drive.  So give him some props where they are due and leave it at that.  

Dam life is tough enuf.  You have to find joy in something.  Watching that drive certainly put a smile on my face and a bounce in my step, at least for the moment.  

By the Kyle Orton era I meant that particular Bills era. I should have made that clear. Of course it wasn't all his fault. The team was awful.That's what I choose to want to forget. Kyle Orton, being a statue, was a sitting duck because of that O Line. I don't want to remember that team and head coach

Wow. Orton was such a statue. Interesting that they said he had 7 career 4th quarter comebacks before that. Allen has 6 already after only two years in the NFL.

I remember Orton came in and played pretty well early on, but as the season progressed he got more and more neutered by Marrone. You could tell that Marrone's zero risk philosophy slowly rubbed off on Orton.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Orton was THAT bad. He just wasn't that good either. But, he make some clutch throws on that drive. The one to Sammy deep over the middle and that one to Hogan were huge. There's alot of bills qbs that couldn't make those throws (Ej, Tyrod, Edwards, Losman) 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bryce Brown fumble while running into the end zone against KC and the collapse out west against the pitiful Raiders is what I remember about that season.  Either one of those games we win and we're in I believe.  Wasted a great year by our defense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

To be fair, he also had that throw to Scott Chandler that was about 3 feet in front of him, which, as everyone knows, was way beyond his catch radius.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How bout Lawrence Taylor and all his issues? Didn’t seem to matter on game day....

Tell that to the Super Bowl champs.?

Tell that to SB I champs and Boyd Dowler :) or SB XII champs with Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Wonder what today's Bills final play would be.

I'm guessing a JA RPO sweep right. 

No chance with five seconds left and no timeouts.

Your only option is a quick out, slant or fade, that would give you one more second on the clock to run a second play

I don't think there's a coach in the world who would run the ball, except in high school

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep... they were absolutely dominating KC until that point. And of course McKelvin fumbled punt return which gave them some more momentum....I'd cringe every time McKelvin returned a punt. 

I couldn’t believe McKelvin was still returning anything five years after the Pats MNF fumble game. He could be a playmaker at the return position, but was also a disaster waiting to happen. The fact he was out there at all is a testament to having multiple coaching regimes who were all clueless. It feels so good to be past that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, Rubes said:

Fun to rewatch, but ugh...Orton and EJ Manuel. My God, what a wasteland we were stuck in.

What was awesome is announcer saying ( talked to Marrine yesterday, organizationally, they are in great shape for the long term , but need some wins in the short term”

haha! 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow. Orton was such a statue. Interesting that they said he had 7 career 4th quarter comebacks before that. Allen has 6 already after only two years in the NFL.

I remember Orton came in and played pretty well early on, but as the season progressed he got more and more neutered by Marrone. You could tell that Marrone's zero risk philosophy slowly rubbed off on Orton.

Yes, but Allen does not have comeback in the final minute of the game...to me, that is  true comeback- not just retaking the lead in the 4th and the D just shuts the opponent down the rest of the game...