Football in a pandemic era. It’s been done before..

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why does it bother you? You’re welcome to ignore it. Do you yell at the mailman everyday when he puts junk mail in your box? Or, feel free to turn the dialogue back towards the Bills games. Do you think they should play in September?

My problem is with the mod’s. I got sent a direct message from a mod stating that Covid related topics belong off the main wall. Also this mod deleted factual information I supplied on Covid. The thread was started BY a mod knowing full well what would happen. I don’t like double standards. The mod who started this thread also called a poster a name, unprovoked . Poor etiquette for a mod. The board deserves better. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

It's top of mind stuff.  All of the other transaction & player development threads are fairly meaningless if the season is fully or partially cancelled.

Not sure why it wouldn't be on the main board.

See above response.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You said doctors were being told to say deaths were coronavirus deaths when they weren't. To me that's bull. 

Not what I said. Dr.’s are being told to code deaths a certain way, which is different in how they did it in the past. It’s causing numbers to be skewed against how numbers were arrived at in the past, this is a fact.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Not what I said. Dr.’s are being told to code deaths a certain way, which is different in how they did it in the past. It’s causing numbers to be skewed against how numbers were arrived at in the past, this is a fact.

This article says that BEFORE the pandemic about a third of all death certificates were incorrectly recorded. I would assume that trend would continue or get worse in a pandemic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/25/coronavirus-death-toll-hard-track-1-3-death-certificates-wrong/3020778001/

4 hours ago, MJS said:

This article says that BEFORE the pandemic about a third of all death certificates were incorrectly recorded. I would assume that trend would continue or get worse in a pandemic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/25/coronavirus-death-toll-hard-track-1-3-death-certificates-wrong/3020778001/

Wow that’s crazy. All we want is the truth so we can make a determination what risk we are willing to take. All the misinformation makes that very difficult. Thanks for posting...

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Wow that’s crazy. All we want is the truth so we can make a determination what risk we are willing to take. All the misinformation makes that very difficult. Thanks for posting...

You are getting the truth. The truth is accurate death totals are difficult, especially in a pandemic. Over time the true number will come out and it will be a very high number.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, MJS said:

The "Hong Kong Flu" pandemic in 1968 killed 100,000 people in the US.

In 1957 the "Asian Flu" killed 116,000 people in the US.

Both significantly more than COVID-19 (so far) when you account for population growth.

You realize we're only in May still right? People were saying "but the flu kills X amount and coronavirus only killed X amount!" back in February, but look where we are now...

Considering this is an entirely new infectious virus to the human race, nobody in the world had come into contact with this, therefore the numbers were obviously low at first. But now that it's May, how many millions have had the damn thing? 

And the percentage of deaths is much higher with COVID, along with the incubation period. I thought we all knew this by now? It's a scarier thereat because unlike other viruses which tend to show symptoms much quicker (allowing you to stay away from others or get help quicker), COVID can take quite a while to show anything, all while you're out giving it to everyone around you.

That's not considering any 2nd wave.... if you think we're done at 100k deaths in the US, you're going to be very shocked when it'll likely be twice that in a month or 2. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:21 PM, MJS said:

Scientists can be just as political as politicians, unfortunately.

I'd say trust the data. Interpretation of data can be, and usually is, biased. So you have to make your own conclusions while weighing the data itself and the opinion of those who are interpreting it.

As far as pandemics are concerned, the scientists usually overestimate or simply consider the worst possible outcome. Go back and look at projections for previous diseases and they are all incredibly inflated compared to what actually happens. Accurate projections based on extremely limited data are practically impossible, but they do the best they can.

COVID-19 is something that will be studied for years. After that is done we'll truly know the impact. For sure it is one of the worst pandemics we have seen in modern days.

No, most scientists are viewing the pandemic through scientific & medical lenses...they're just not saying things you and others want to hear.

The modern day anti-intellectual movement is going too far. The earth is flat, vaccines cause autism, space if fake, Bill Gates caused COVID-19, experts known nothing...only we can find the truth through finding small pockets of echo chambers online telling us what we want to hear! 

Scientists, doctors, those who actually research this stuff? Ignore them if they say things we don't want to hear. They're bought! They're secretly a Republican or a Democrat pushing their agenda! You know who must have our best interest at heart? Actual politicans who want a certain result to be reelected and are funded by lobbyists to get corporations' goals passed. They are definitely the ones who are looking out for the average Joe.

I mean c'mon, a bunch of YouTube videos of random people said so, and it's what I want to hear, so obviously they're worth listening to! C'mon, do your own "research" everyone! Don't be a sheep & buy into this science propaganda!

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 5/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, Johnnycage46 said:

The scariest part to me is how it seems like a lot of people are putting their own little selfish needs before the health of others.  For example, my neighbor here in Henrietta (suburb of Rochester) has about 15 cars worth of people at her (presumed) Memorial Day party.  I get that we all want to get back to normal, but the more people start to stray outside the lines, the more likely it would seem that we'll all have a longer lock-down, no live events (including the NFL), and continued quarantine misery.  Sucks.

Some people choose to look at the mortality rate, and make their own decisions. 

20 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Some people choose to look at the mortality rate, and make their own decisions. 

It does appear thing are easing up where I am (NYC/NJ area) as more and more things are opening up. I would have no problem going to a game with 80,000 other people at MetLife. I would wear a mask inside the stadium(that will probably be a rule anyway) and hopefully by Sept things are back to normal or close to it. It would be a little disappointing with the Bills expected to have a good season with a lot of primetime games and not being allowed to have fans in the stadium. I understand safety and health take priority but I hope we can have fans in the stands.

11 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

100,000 have died in 3 months.

And in that same period there’ve been a total of almost 900,000 US deaths from all of the usual causes. This virus is bad, and quite dangerous for the elderly, but it is NOWHERE near as bad as the projections originally modeled. Thank goodness!

Edited by SoCal Deek

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

No, most scientists are viewing the pandemic through scientific & medical lenses...they're just not saying things you and others want to hear.

The modern day anti-intellectual movement is going too far. The earth is flat, vaccines cause autism, space if fake, Bill Gates caused COVID-19, experts known nothing...only we can find the truth through finding small pockets of echo chambers online telling us what we want to hear! 

Scientists, doctors, those who actually research this stuff? Ignore them if they say things we don't want to hear. They're bought! They're secretly a Republican or a Democrat pushing their agenda! You know who must have our best interest at heart? Actual politicans who want a certain result to be reelected and are funded by lobbyists to get corporations' goals passed. They are definitely the ones who are looking out for the average Joe.

I mean c'mon, a bunch of YouTube videos of random people said so, and it's what I want to hear, so obviously they're worth listening to! C'mon, do your own "research" everyone! Don't be a sheep & buy into this science propaganda!

We’ve taken science denial into a whole new realm when we not only deny it, but we also know more than the experts in any field of study or discipline. Acquiring knowledge and refined expertise to levels that used to require years to obtain can now be had in hours simply by watching a YouTube video or listening to our preferred news sources. Voila! Just like that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We’ve taken science denial into a whole new realm when we not only deny it, but we also know more than the experts in any field of study or discipline. Acquiring knowledge and refined expertise to levels that used to require years to obtain can now be had in hours simply by watching a YouTube video or listening to our preferred news sources. Voila! Just like that. 

The most ironic thing ever said on TBD. ?

Now, let me tell you what an idiot at drafting that McBeane is.  And don't even get me started on McClappy's bend, don't break D...

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

100,000 have died in 3 months.

What are we basing this number on?

Because the CDC has had to adjust their figures multiple times. We have also seen a massive decline in every other major cause of death. That doesn't seem peculiar?

No one is saying this virus isn't deadly or should be taken lightly, but in no way, shape, or form should we keep throwing figures out like they are concrete fact.

When the models have all been drastically wrong, numbers have had to be adjusted, other major causes of death are being marked as covid regardless if they are or aren't, there hasnt been substantial enough testing to even have true factual data to date, etc...

I mean if your number is meant to impose a fear, why not go the other way with the 99% survival rate?

On 5/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, Johnnycage46 said:

The scariest part to me is how it seems like a lot of people are putting their own little selfish needs before the health of others.  For example, my neighbor here in Henrietta (suburb of Rochester) has about 15 cars worth of people at her (presumed) Memorial Day party.  I get that we all want to get back to normal, but the more people start to stray outside the lines, the more likely it would seem that we'll all have a longer lock-down, no live events (including the NFL), and continued quarantine misery.  Sucks.

There is no facts keeping everybody lock down has any effect.  Especially the type of lock downs everybody is doing, which means packing the grocery stores, packing home depot, ordering takeout.  Why aren't there any outbreaks due to this?  Florida & Georgia  have opened up for nearly a month now, and their rates have gone down about 15%.   I believe WNY has now under ICU 100 hospitalizations due to COVID, which out of 1 million people is not bad at all.  I don't buy the death totals, & whoever quoted 6% as the death rate is either an idiot or just has an personal agenda to spread.  This isn't about the virus anymore, it is about government control and that is a scary thing.  It is interesting that Cuomo, who I am not a fan of, has changed his tune greatly over the last few weeks and he seems to see the light about finally opening things up.  They said WNY should be in phase 2 sometime this week as the numbers keep declining.  People are worried about a second waive which the left wing media keeps pushing, but to be honest most cities have not even seen a first wave yet.  Take away NYC/Conn/NJ area out of the mix & our countries numbers across the board are cut in half.  It is something to think about.  NBA/MLB/NHL will be sarting shortly, Paul Finebaum said late last week College Football will start on time, they can't afford not to & I also believe the NFL will start on time.  Fans, I am not sure about, I give it 70% chance football will allow fans in but who know.  So keep the faith, don't get consumed with the negative information, there are a lot of positive things happening also.  

On 5/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, TroutDog said:

“I think the lesson we can draw in general from 1918 about how to respond to a pandemic is that closure orders and social distancing is effective.” This is the quote from the article that resonated with me. 

Here’s a tip for those offering their two cents: listen to scientists and scientists alone. Most else is political garbage. 

I LOVE politics but the extremes (MSNBC and FOX) are simply propaganda. There is a vast amount of reasonable news out there, you simply have to think critically. It seems to be a lost art these days. 

Back to football: I hope and pray we have a season in some way, shape or form. It will benefit the psyche of our country...and allow Buffalo to have our first SB victory!!!!!! ? 

Are you kidding???  The scientists and experts have been wrong at every turn thru this whole ordeal.  Their projections have been criminally wrong.  Man you are naïve.  

On 5/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, scuba guy said:

Several of my friends are Drs and nurses most deaths not all are from it 

Example older person dies in hospice care goes down as pneumonia family doesn't want otopsy goes down as cov 19

Sad but my Dr friends are being told to do just that

I have two friends that are doctors and my wife's cousin is a nurse, they all work in hospitals.  They have all told me the exact same thing.  & to get it changed the family needs to do an otopsy & lets face it, no family in their right mind is going to do that.