Sunderland: Till I Die

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I need to wait for @GunnerBill to chime in before I know what to believe.

Sunderland are a chronically mismanaged football club. And the first series of this show is absolutely amazing because it is car crash tv. Series 2 is less fun because it is people who are really trying hard and trying to have the right strategy but who are coming up short. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sunderland are a chronically mismanaged football club. And the first series of this show is absolutely amazing because it is car crash tv. Series 2 is less fun because it is people who are really trying hard and trying to have the right strategy but who are coming up short. 

And doesn’t it remind you of the Pegulas buying the Bills?

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And doesn’t it remind you of the Pegulas buying the Bills?

Ha. So the Pegulas are richer than the guys who buy Sunderland at the end of season 1. But they probably made similar blunders early on when they knew nothing about the sport. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Sorry. This post is not about the Bills and not about (American) football. I don't think it belongs here.

Relax dude....there’s an actual Bills related discussion going on here. Of course if you’d prefer spending your weekend ranking ex-Bills players now playing for other teams or lamenting losses from previous seasons, there are PLENTY of threads available to you. Enjoy!

Edited by SoCal Deek

I can see the parallel.  An industrial city that goes bust when the coal mines and shipyards died out, where the folks go to church and get buried in their jerseys.

Way worse for them though because of all that promotion/relegation BS. And the officiating seems about as awful.

That one guy getting a DWI after he took out a curbs worth of parked cars hit a a bit too close to home.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I can see the parallel.  An industrial city that goes bust when the coal mines and shipyards died out, where the folks go to church and get buried in their jerseys.

Way worse for them though because of all that promotion/relegation BS. And the officiating seems about as awful.

That one guy getting a DWI after he took out a curbs worth of parked cars hit a a bit too close to home.

Exactly. Those fans have a far longer history than us Bills fans but their passion is over the top just the same. Women, men, kids alike living and dying for each week’s game and each new season when hope springs eternal! On the business side, the series is super interesting seeIng how they have to make the $ numbers work...similar to our salary cap. 

9 hours ago, seven&nine said:

As a diehard Newcastle follower, I hate this analogy. Sunderland is absolute shite.

The fact that there is a documentary following their multiple relegations makes for some great viewing, though. 

I am an Arsenal supporter and have been since the mid 1990's.  I try to go to Arsenal games at the Emirates when I can. I happened to be in England in August this past summer, and Arsenal played Newcastle in the first game of the season at Newcastle.  As a result, after spending some time in London, I travelled from London to Edinburgh (great city by the way) for a few days and then to Newcastle.

I loved Newcastle. The city and the people remind me of Buffalo.  The people could not be more friendly and their love of their team reminded me of Buffalo sports fans.  Like Buffalo, Newcastle is a northern city with hard working people who like to go out and have some fun. The atmosphere at the game was great, and I happened to get a very good seat.  I also took a tour of the stadium (the day before the game), which was a lot of fun.

Also, for all of you single guys, Newcastle is a place where many in England go to for bachelor/bachelorette parties (or as they call them, stag and hen). In other words, people love to go out and party.

I am an Arsenal fan through and through, but I now also hope that Newcastle do well because their fans are great.

P.S. I watched the Sunderland documentary and enjoyed it as well.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Sorry. This post is not about the Bills and not about (American) football. I don't think it belongs here.

For years, I have never understood why some take the time to write posts like this.  If one is really bothered by the topic, why "waste" your time . . . just move on while the rest of us enjoy the discussion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I loved Newcastle. The city and the people remind me of Buffalo.  The people could not be more friendly and their love of their team reminded me of Buffalo sports fans.  Like Buffalo, Newcastle is a northern city with hard working people who like to go out and have some fun. The atmosphere at the game was great, and I happened to get a very good seat.  I also took a tour of the stadium (the day before the game), which was a lot of fun.

Thanks! After weeks of no sports on TV I just happened to come across this series on Netflix and was completely hooked. I’m not sure how the filmmakers chose Sunderland but the analogies to the Bills organization and their fans really got to me. Next time in the UK the wife and I may just need to take the train up to the northeast coast. We’ve been to Leister City, Fulham, QPR and Watford, plus Wembley of course for the Bills game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks! After weeks of no sports on TV I just happened to come across this series on Netflix and was completely hooked. I’m not sure how the filmmakers chose Sunderland but the analogies to the Bills organization and their fans really got to me. Next time in the UK the wife and I may just need to take the train up to the northeast coast. We’ve been to Leister City, Fulham, QPR and Watford, plus Wembley of course for the Bills game. 

I was at the Wembley game as well (and the Arsenal/Everton game the day before).

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

Go Chelsea !!!

GO BiLLS Till I Die !!!!

Edited by Putin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Irv said:

Love Premier League.  Quality higher than MLS which is a boreb.  Only thing I don't like about European football is the guy who falls down when another player brushes his arm and writhes in pain for ten minutes as if he was shot with a .44 in the face.....then miraculously recovers.  

I love MLS. Can’t stand euro snobs that won’t watch the domestic game. 

oh yea, and long live the ROCHESTER RHINOS! 

Edited by Nick the Greek
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

For years, I have never understood why some take the time to write posts like this.  If one is really bothered by the topic, why "waste" your time . . . just move on while the rest of us enjoy the discussion.

Time? It takes like 10 seconds to make a post.

I'm not really bothered. Seems like you are more bothered by it.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Time? It takes like 10 seconds to make a post.

I'm not really bothered. Seems like you are more bothered by it.

I will try to stay off of your lawn.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Peter said:

I am an Arsenal supporter and have been since the mid 1990's.  I try to go to Arsenal games at the Emirates when I can. I happened to be in England in August this past summer, and Arsenal played Newcastle in the first game of the season at Newcastle.  As a result, after spending some time in London, I travelled from London to Edinburgh (great city by the way) for a few days and then to Newcastle.

Also, for all of you single guys, Newcastle is a place where many in England go to for bachelor/bachelorette parties (or as they call them, stag and hen). In other words, people love to go out and party.

I am an Arsenal fan through and through, but I now also hope that Newcastle do well because their fans are great.

The North East generally is a great place. That is where I am retiring to when I am ready to leave the London rat race. Newcastle in particular is a special place. It is also my favourite stadium in England. There is something about it being at the top of the hill and looking down on the rest of the city. It is like a pilgrimage for the supporters each home game. And if you are there on a Saturday when they have won a big home game you won't need to buy a drink all night.... the locals are warm, generous and kind hearted. Most of the other bigger cities in England are two team cities - Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham.... London has about a dozen teams..... Newcastle has 1. And you also don't see many other jerseys walking around the city. In other places you see Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea jerseys even in cities miles away from those teams. Not Newcastle. Everyone is a black and white. The thing that reminds me of Bills fans a little is they are massive homers. They will defend their team to the end of the earth no matter how ridiculous the position they end up having to take in an argument. That certainly reminds me of here ?

• Like (+1) 2

Big Everton fan. My son got me into watching the euro league. Been a fan since. I agree So Cal, I absolutely see the comparison between the soccer fans and Bill's fan, so much passion!

I didn't know about the show but will definitely watch it now. 

Go Bills!!!

Go Everton!!!

22 hours ago, seven&nine said:

As a diehard Newcastle follower, I hate this analogy. Sunderland is absolute shite.

The fact that there is a documentary following their multiple relegations makes for some great viewing, though. 

My Newcastle supporter friend from South shields has just become the world's greatest apologist for the Saudi royal family. Ha

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Peter said:

I was at the Wembley game as well (and the Arsenal/Everton game the day before).

We went to Fulham in the Championship a League back then on the Wednesday night before....same owner as the Jags, and the tickets were way cheaper. Little Craven Cottage on the banks of the Thames. But back on topic, if you have Netflix give the Sunderland series a go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

We went to Fulham in the Championship a League back then on the Wednesday night before....same owner as the Jags, and the tickets were way cheaper. Little Craven Cottage on the banks of the Thames. But back on topic, if you have Netflix give the Sunderland series a go.

Good on you. The cottage is definitely unique. 

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

No. That's just wrong on so many levels.