Sunderland: Till I Die

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you watch it you’ll see working class people who literally live and die for their team. The team gives this once thriving industrial city it’s entire identity. They lose game after game in heartbreaking fashion and their dedicated fans keep coming back every week. It’s extremely relevant!

I could give you 30 teams that fit into description. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for your in depth commentary. How exactly?

Any UK football fan knows what I mean. 

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

I could give you 30 teams that fit into description. 

Any UK football fan knows what I mean. 

I’m aware. The point of the thread is not Sunderland specifically but so Bills fans might watch the series for a taste of what’s it’s like from an outside perspective, seeing what other fans go through, and getting a really in depth look into the running of a professional sports organization.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m aware. The point of the thread is not Sunderland specifically but so Bills fans might watch the series for a taste of what’s it’s like from an outside perspective, seeing what other fans go through, and getting a really in depth look into the running of a professional sports organization.

Newcastle is probably a better comparison because they had a "nearly" glory period in the mid 90s (few years after the Bills but still). I have been watching football since 1992 and Sunderland have always been fluctuating degrees of rubbish. They did make the FA Cup Final though that year ('92) lost 2-0 to Liverpool. 

However that sense of them living their whole week for the game that you get from the fans.... that is the north east all over. It is a poor area and yet Sunderland playing in League 1 got 46,000 on Boxing Day. That is incredible. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Newcastle is probably a better comparison because they had a "nearly" glory period in the mid 90s (few years after the Bills but still). I have been watching football since 1992 and Sunderland have always been fluctuating degrees of rubbish. They did make the FA Cup Final though that year ('92) lost 2-0 to Liverpool. 

However that sense of them living their whole week for the game that you get from the fans.... that is the north east all over. It is a poor area and yet Sunderland playing in League 1 got 46,000 on Boxing Day. That is incredible. 

I think the interviews they did with the fans were really cool. Having been on this board for years I couldn’t help but draw the parallel to the guy painting his beard before the game (match), or the guy getting that massive tattoo, or the parents giving their kids jerseys on Christmas morning.  But what REALLY got me was the lady at the very end who asks with tears rolling down her cheeks ‘When will it ever be our turn?’ It doesn’t get more Buffalo Bills related than that. Classic!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think the interviews they did with the fans were really cool. Having been on this board for years I couldn’t help but draw the parallel to the guy painting his beard before the game (match), or the guy getting that massive tattoo, or the parents giving their kids jerseys on Christmas morning.  But what REALLY got me was the lady at the very end who asks with tears rolling down her cheeks ‘When will it ever be our turn?’ It doesn’t get more Buffalo Bills related than that. Classic!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of episodes.  Thanks for pointing this out.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:57 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

I give it a hard pass!!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, swimtoga said:

What about this movie Buffaloed thats on prime? Im probably going to rent it tonight just because

it is based and Buffalo and involves the Bills. 

Meh its alright. I enjoyed it more than most cause I did debt collections for years, wild industry really

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, SoCal Deek said:

It’s actually way less about soccer than you’d think. It’s about the City, the organization, and its fans. 

Sorry ! Well there you go in my quest to become the perfect Bills fan i think i may be getting close ? I didn't  read the entire post and made my assumptions on the first sentence now i just need to go study up on my proper english/punctuation (although giving a crap about it might be a uphill climb) then i can like many other fans here be a for real Bills fan when i bust peoples balls for having the comma in the wrong place or something like that .

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Meh its alright. I enjoyed it more than most cause I did debt collections for years, wild industry really

Yeah it was ok. Loved the first courthouse scene and the end when the Bills score a TD (Trying to be vague and not spoil it for anyone).

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

Sunderland fans > Newcastle fans

Hey Brit Bill: 

I assume you live in the UK? Did you ever watch the Netflix Series? I'm interested in your take on the similarities with the Bills franchise and devoted fan base.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, T master said:

Sorry 2 things early in the article that made me stop reading it (and now i will employ what i learned here to be necessary to be a true Bills fan on this site) 

1 It's nothing about the Bills  !

2 It's a article about Soccer which i don't care about !! 

There how'd i do ? i'm trying to be as obnoxious as some of the other Bills fans here . Oh wait let me go back & check your punctuation & spelling that's a must  ...

At least OP didn't give us a cryptic title and tell us we had to check out episode 6 of season 2 to figure out what the topic is even about.

37 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

At least OP didn't give us a cryptic title and tell us we had to check out episode 6 of season 2 to figure out what the topic is even about.

Thanks....I was hoping to give quarantined Bills fans a much needed break from the seemingly endless series of threads recapping every play, throw, referee's missed call, etc from last season. :)

On 5/24/2020 at 8:57 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I know this isn’t specifically Bills related...but sort of. Those of you with Netflix will enjoy the two season series Sunderland Till I Die, which follows the Sunderland ‘soccer’ club in northeast England through their woes of relegation from the top league. The city is an industrial working class town, just like Buffalo. Their fans could be Bills fans but for the British accents. I highly recommend it. Extremely well filmed! It gives a starving sports fan a great inside look at EVERYTHING that goes into running a major sports franchise. Give it a try.

I remember my first documentary...

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Brit Bill: 

I assume you live in the UK? Did you ever watch the Netflix Series? I'm interested in your take on the similarities with the Bills franchise and devoted fan base.

You assume correctly. Although I’ve  not seen either of the Sunderland series on Netflix. 

As already mentioned, the North East of England is very similar to Buffalo. Hardworking, non-flashy folk who are extremely passionate and defensive about their teams. 

Interestingly, Sunderland also had a great old stadium which was slowly becoming too dated for the direction soccer was going in this country in the 90’s. They opened a new stadium in the late 90’s and had some initial and relative success. They never won a major trophy despite finishing well into the top 10 of the Premier League. 

Honestly, if you think rivalries in the US are mad the rivalry between Sunderland and Newcastle is berserk. It’s pure hatred. Neither team have ever been that successful which is a testament to the attendances both teams are still getting. 

Either North-East team is a great comparison to the Bills. 

Edited by BritBill

26 minutes ago, BritBill said:

You assume correctly. Although I’ve  not seen either of the Sunderland series on Netflix. 

As already mentioned, the North East of England is very similar to Buffalo. Hardworking, non-flashy folk who are extremely passionate and defensive about their teams. 

Interestingly, Sunderland also had a great old stadium which was slowly becoming too dated for the direction soccer was going in this country in the 90’s. They opened a new stadium in the late 90’s and had some initial and relative success. They never won a major trophy despite finishing well into the top 10 of the Premier League. 

Honestly, if you think rivalries in the US are mad the rivalry between Sunderland and Newcastle is berserk. It’s pure hatred. Neither team have ever been that successful which is a testament to the attendances both teams are still getting. 

Have you gotten your horse-drawn delivery from Tadcaster?

If so, count me as jealous.

33 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Didn't Newcastle just get bought by some trillionaire oil Baron?  If he could just plow some of the millions he's about dump into the transfer market into the local economy...

35 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Have you gotten your horse-drawn delivery from Tadcaster?

If so, count me as jealous.

Not personally and all the pubs are shut so the Tad lager isn’t going anywhere at the moment!